Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 09:37 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,593,366 times

Advertisements

Should Miam-Dade consider consolidation,it worked for Jacksonville,why not here? No more duplicity of taxes ( city and the county),just a single tax. What do you think would be some other advantages along with what would be the disadvantages? The independent municpalities doesn't seem to be practical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 11:02 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,692,665 times
It would not be in the best interest of the richer independent municipalities (Pinecrest, Coral Gables, Aventura, etc.) to incorporate but it would be in the best interest for the poorer independent municipalities (OpaLocka, Miami Gardens, Florida City, etc.) to do so. Why would someone who pays (high) taxes on their expensive home in Coral Gables want his tax dollars to go to the city of Miami when they can be used within Coral Gables to furnish luxuries such as fountains and lush landscaping in public plazas and streets? You largely don't find such luxuries in poorer areas where funding must be directed to social services and the police department, and by incorporating the county into one city - pretty much like Jacksonville - the richer areas would not get to fund themselves and would in return NOT get disproportionately high funding from the city of Miami. Any kind of incorporation effort will be highly contested and likely sued to death by all the money in various municipalities around the county. Conversely, this is why the richest areas want to incorporate to get out of the "unincorporated Miami-Dade" status. Aventura, Pinecrest, and Palmetto Bay are all relatively new municipalities which I suspect formed for similar motives.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:36 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,317,264 times
How small does an area have to be before they can incorporate? If myself and 10 guys on the block want to incorporate could unincorporated Dade stop us? I sure wouldn't mind paying for Dade's failing schools and all of the pet projects that our corrupt politicians favor (I'm looking at YOU traffic circles). What county taxes do incorporated areas still have to pay?

Old 03-29-2008, 02:07 PM

763 posts, read 3,538,881 times
Why doesn't the City of Miami just incorporate the unincorporated parts of Miami-Dade County?

Old 03-29-2008, 02:27 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,692,665 times
In short, because Coral Gables, Miami Beach, Miami Springs and other cities bordering Miami whose average property tax revenues are higher than Miami's do not WANT to be incorporated into the city of Miami. See my reply above.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:38 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,505,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Should Miam-Dade consider consolidation,it worked for Jacksonville,why not here? No more duplicity of taxes ( city and the county),just a single tax. What do you think would be some other advantages along with what would be the disadvantages? The independent municpalities doesn't seem to be practical.
When Pinecrest became a village, the homeowners taxes actually went down. These villages and cities actually have better police services because they have a much smaller area to patrol. I was amazed how large some areas Miami-Dade police station patrol, with so few policemen. The cities and villages have better police protection usually.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:03 PM

147 posts, read 191,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
I would not use Jacksonville as a good example for any city. It is big, ugly, and segregated. The only thing good about Jackson-hell are the huge oysters that you can buy by the bushel.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:25 PM

763 posts, read 3,538,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
In short, because Coral Gables, Miami Beach, Miami Springs and other cities bordering Miami whose average property tax revenues are higher than Miami's do not WANT to be incorporated into the city of Miami. See my reply above.
I'm not saying for Miami to incorporate the already incorporated parts of Miami-Dade, I'm saying for Miami to incorporated the UNINCORPORATED parts.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:41 AM

530 posts, read 1,464,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiVice1985 View Post
I would not use Jacksonville as a good example for any city. It is big, ugly, and segregated. The only thing good about Jackson-hell are the huge oysters that you can buy by the bushel.
Jacksonville is not an ugly city,our skyline is not graced by condos and hotels everywhere,nor have we been over ran by other countries, and you dont need a passport to enter the city,--well I thought one insult deserved another,,otherwise I like all of Florida

Old 07-21-2008, 09:39 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,803,402 times
I would like to see Miami-Dade home rule repealed. Consolidation is bad, it just puts more money in fewer hands, and gets Team Metro in your pockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami