Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2014, 12:02 PM

471 posts, read 850,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Well the whole stereotyping thing says a lot in my opinion. funny you mention Italy and France, I have been told by friends who have visited Rome, Paris and Marseilles that those were the most unfriendly cities they have ever been in.
Normal people in Europe like to mind their own business on the street and on public transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 07:38 PM

683 posts, read 852,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
Lies. Full of European women and Brazilian women in Miami.
No. He is correct. Miami lost diversity about 8 years ago. It's more Cuban then anything. But the fact that people actually have to compare Miami to NY is hilarious. It's so small compared to NY. Yet it is one of the best destination spot to visit. On top of that you have lame New Yorkers living here instead of the supposedly greatest city NYC. lol Well to be honest most of these lame New Yorkers live in Broward.

Old 03-26-2014, 07:57 PM

471 posts, read 850,533 times
There are more English people speaking nowdays than I can ever remember

Old 03-26-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
There are more English people speaking nowdays than I can ever remember
I strongly disagree. Most jobs are bilingual or Spanish only. More and more stores in Miami have people that don't speak English. It's used to be neighborhood spots like that. Now you can go to publix, target, winn Dixie and any other major store and encounter this. This is what happens when you give a foreign country a city. Wish they at least they gave to Colombians. At least they built South Beach and Brickell. And also they also have prettier women.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:18 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,418,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Wish they at least they gave to Colombians. At least they built South Beach and Brickell. And also they also have prettier women.
that's another whole discussion

Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace587 View Post
that's another whole discussion
Lol. You are correct. The best remedy if you don't want reside in Miami is to live in Broward or Palm Beach if the language thing bothers you. Just go to Miami for the events. For a city to be so small compared to LA and NY, Miami is always a city that is included as one the most popular city in the US.

Old 03-27-2014, 09:25 AM

463 posts, read 559,363 times
Quote:
Lol. You are correct. The best remedy if you don't want reside in Miami is to live in Broward or Palm Beach if the language thing bothers you. Just go to Miami for the events. For a city to be so small compared to LA and NY, Miami is always a city that is included as one the most popular city in the US.
I agree. I don't really understand the Miami hate....99.9% of the country is pretty much NOT Miami so go find your own paradise if the city is not vibing with you. Miami (or any U.S. city for that matter) will never be like NYC.....NYC is in a league of its own so its ridiculous when people try to compare the two.

I personally don't like my hometown, but it works for most people living here otherwise it wouldn't be a prominent metro area. I plan on moving down to Miami b/c I feel it would be a better fit for my personality and the sort of lifestyle I want. Different strokes for everyone....

Old 03-27-2014, 02:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Quote:
You have to understand that some of these the New Yorkers that move from New York can't handle it in some point of time. So they go to another place brag about how great the city is, but won't move back. Because they would be facing the problem that made them move in the first place. It's obvious that the OP is not one of them because he moved back.

Oh and don't let the tough talk fool you. A lot of them are beyond soft. Parts of Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx are not all bad. The real tough ones typically can't afford to move or just never want to period.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I really don't mind what you think or how you think.
I was just telling the op that different big cities are different places and can be hectic
in its own ways too. They have a different state of mind than new york. What comes
naturally in nyc can be very difficult or strange to do in other american cities. By the
way, I am a native new yorker lol.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:40 PM

438 posts, read 653,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilwood View Post
I'm a single guy that lived and worked in Miami for a year and have returned back to NYC. I was making a nice 6 digit salary that went really far in the local economy, but I still didn't like it. Since I moved away from Miami, so many people have asked me why I didn't like it. Here's the reasons why:.
Sounds a lot to me that what you were probably expecting down there is Miami---the way it used to be up until about 15 to 20 years ago. Back then it was definitely a lot less pretentious, a lot more fun, and people weren't as intense. Its a tough place to try to start life as a young person now if you're not Latino (particularly Cuban) and have money. If you had BOTH these things in your favor you would have made friends...lots of friends.

As a young, single, professional person, you would have done better to live on Miami Beach or in the Brickell area. But, it would still be a struggle meeting people there if what you are looking for is deep friendships and lasting relationships. There are LOTs of scam artists there running cons, and people tend to stick to who they know. This is true of most of southeast Florida these days. Many of the transients and tourists are there for the scams, clubs, drugs, and sex---not to meet real friends or their future spouse. And women who 'date' men to get money and expensive gifts are prostitutes, but of course these types of women are not exclusive to Miami.

Really, Miami is not that bad if you go there with realistic expectations. I wouldn't compare it to New York though. The experiences in each place are very different. I've lived in both cities and wouldn't live in either again, but if I had to choose I would choose NYC. I think you did the right thing to move back.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:46 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
To the OP, I agree if you would have lived elsewhere you probably would have had a much better experience. Good luck on your move to NYC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami