Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 09:21 PM

515 posts, read 624,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover1 View Post

Dislike the drive from the suburbs into the city when: DUH, you live in the suburbs and chose to drive, what do you expect? The farther you live from the city the longer it takes to get there. You could also take the commuter train. It's the same way in every metro area. Some metro areas have more than three counties and some way more than three, and some distances from a suburb to the city are farther than even the farthest north suburb and palm Beach to the city. You chose to live there.

It's a shame because Miami and metro Miami have so much potential. Coastal, beaches, everglades, beach towns, suburbs, suburban beach towns, diverse, good colleges, top in the nation museums, arts, fashion, etc. modern cityscape and more, yet fools have to try and ruin it, and it's their own residents.

A major problem with Miami and its suburbs is that there is no real advantage to living further out and increasing your travel time like in many other cities. Meaning, in many other metro areas, if you choose to have a longer commute it is because when you actually get to where you live it is something enjoyable. In the woods perhaps or a more quiet setting and less populated with more trees and open spaces etc... So you feel a true benefit when you arrive.

In Miami, most of the suburbs are exactly the same. You get as far west as you can go, actually right up to the everglades, and the area is pretty similar in architecture as the rest of the county with the standard sub-par lots, similar strips malls and similar congested traffic. Oh, and the prices are not always radically less nor are the schools much better out west in the suburbs like they are in Broward so where is the benefit for the extended commute???

Also, what beach towns and suburban beach towns does Miami or Miami Dade County have other than Miami Beach and Key Biscayne? What am I missing here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover1 View Post
The whole Spanish thing is completely wrong, exaggerated and everything else. I had the pleasure of experiencing nyc and most people had crazy accents, way more than miami. So stop it. I wouldn't be surprised if all this incorrect, ignorant bs is hurting not only miami, but metro miami too.
You may have heard crazy accents but it was a variety of crazy accents and english in NYC is still the language used first among strangers or in business (including retail).

Miami Beach would be similar in this regard. In the rest of Miami, there is a noticible difference in the lack of variety and in many interactions the go to language is Spanish even if it must be changed to english when it becomes apparent one party is non-hispanic.

That is very strange to outsiders and often irritating over time to non-hispanics.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:17 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
And I'm the opposite of you. I love Broward. lol Although I must admit I couldn't stand it years ago. It's diverse now so I guess that is one of the main reason I like it. Nothing like hanging out The Shops at Pembroke Gardens for happy hour and Bokampers in Miramar to watch the games. Hardrock to chill and gamble. Wait they didn't have all that years ago, no wonder why I like it up there now. ha ha.

Miami is always going to have the concerts and different activities, but some parts of Miami is like going into a third world country like Cuba. I don't know. The South Americans seem more classier to me.
Everyone has their preferences, to each their own I guess. As fro the parts of Miami that are like "going into a third world country", I am assuming you are referring to western parts of Dade County. I avoid those places like it was the plague. Furthest west I try to venture is Coral Gables (downtown), other than that, it is dead to me. I like the East side though, wouldn't live anywhere else in Florida.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:29 AM

683 posts, read 854,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Everyone has their preferences, to each their own I guess. As fro the parts of Miami that are like "going into a third world country", I am assuming you are referring to western parts of Dade County. I avoid those places like it was the plague. Furthest west I try to venture is Coral Gables (downtown), other than that, it is dead to me. I like the East side though, wouldn't live anywhere else in Florida.

Definitely to each it's own. Outside of living in South Beach, North Miami Beach, and parts of Brickell. There is no real diversity in Miami anymore. I like seeing different cultures, not just primarily one. I've lived in Miami for years and saw the dramatic change. I like Miami for the events and festivities. Not to work and live anymore.

Last edited by deboinair; 05-07-2014 at 07:37 AM..

Old 05-07-2014, 03:10 PM

471 posts, read 851,369 times
Quote:
You keep posting things like this but it's apparent you really haven't been to those places. For one all of those places are bigger so everywhere is not Hispanic like here in Miami. Second the Mexicans who are the primary Hispanics in those areas like Cubans are in Miami actually put the effort to speak ENGLISH. Of course you are going to run into quite a few that don't speak English at all, but I would say you will get more English speaking Hispanics in said areas than in Miami. I've yet to go to a Safeway in LA or Diego and find that the staff doesn't speak English like the Publix off of Flagler close to Doral down here.
I lived in Houston. There are way more Europeans in Miami than in Houston. Didn't realize they are considered Hispanics by your standards since they can usually learn Spanish. Nice try though.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:19 PM

546 posts, read 818,186 times
Quote:
Definitely to each it's own. Outside of living in South Beach, North Miami Beach, and parts of Brickell. There is no real diversity in Miami anymore. I like seeing different cultures, not just primarily one. I've lived in Miami for years and saw the dramatic change. I like Miami for the events and festivities. Not to work and live anymore.
So you live in Broward County now? or somewhere else? Just curious.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:53 PM

683 posts, read 854,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectMersh View Post
So you live in Broward County now? or somewhere else? Just curious.
Yes. I'm in West Miramar now. I work in Doral though. I'm actively looking for a job in Broward. Miami will always be my place for different events, but I like to see a more mix of cultures as far as living and working.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:55 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times
Quote:
Tons of diversity in Coconut Grove, Edgewater, Midtown, Downtown, Downtown Coral Gables area. I live in the Grove and I see people from every walk of life and various ethnicities. You are just as likely to hear french in the Grove as you are to hear English or Spanish. Not sure where you lived in Miami, but I live on the east side and I am up and down the east side almost every week. So I am a little puzzled by this statement.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
I lived in Hoston. There are way more Europeans in Miami than in Houston. Didn't realize they are considered Hispanics by your standards since they can usually learn Spanish. Nice try though.
Houston is not a hotbed of European activity so even though Miami has more that does not mean the average resident in Miami lives next to or works with Europeans. Miami Beach and Brickell are the exception.

Odds are, your co-workers and neighbors in Miami are Hispanic/Latino. The numbers and experiences most of us have in Miami do not lie.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Tons of diversity in Coconut Grove, Edgewater, Midtown, Downtown, Downtown Coral Gables area. I live in the Grove and I see people from every walk of life and various ethnicities. You are just as likely to hear french in the Grove as you are to hear English or Spanish. Not sure where you lived in Miami, but I live on the east side and I am up and down the east side almost every week. So I am a little puzzled by this statement.
Coconut Grove, Edgewater, Midtown, Downtown and Downtown Coral Gables are small parts of Miami (Miami Dade) geographically as well as population.

Of course you will see many more international tourists and residents in these areas but the rest of Miami and Miami-Dade County are so heavily weighted and drastically different from the areas you mention that, again, for the average person who does not work or live in these areas, the only interaction with the variety of these areas is had on a weekend evening or day.

The normal week-to-week daily living is punctuated by hispanic after hispanic interaction with very little variety outside of that.

No problem for the single adult, I lived on South Beach prior to NY and loved it but for most families there are inherent problems to living in the areas you describe that actually have retained some semblance of international variety. Broward is much more diverse throughout it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami