Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 09:41 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
I agree, good points. In reverse, when I speak of New York I speak from my experience living exclusively in Manhattan and I am able to recognize that my viewpoint is therefore drastically different from someone in the rest of the city or suburbs.

If I were to move to Miami full time and not live near family I would choose the Grove or Miami Beach and my viewpoint would be different than it is now from visiting family members who are in Doral, Gables, Kendall and Palmetto Bay.
No doubt. But even in Manhattan, as I am sure you know, things can vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. People think (not you, as you live in the city) that the show Sex in the City is representative of Manhattan living. Reality is, there are filthy rich people in Manhattan, with neighborhoods that would put the richest neighborhood in Miami to shame. Then there are areas that are poverty stricken, that no one who doesn't have to, would want to live there. And as you have pointed out, depending on which end of that spectrum you live in, will determine how you perceive the city. But that is true of anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 09:54 AM

515 posts, read 624,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Residential areas close to the beach are very limited anywhere in the US, this is just not a Miami thing.
This is blatantly incorrect.

In South Florida I have been living in Boca Raton and all of the residential neighborhoods are close to the beach or close compared to Miami standards and I find similar options north and also from Ft. Myers to Tampa. I also find this across the entire East and West Coasts.

What is a Miami thing is that it is not just of matter of economics or exclusivity for beach access that may be limiting to some but that there are, in fact, no beaches geographically south of Key Biscayne.

Also, on Miami Beach and north the beaches are chopped up by condos and hotels. I cannot think of anywhere that is so well known for its beaches yet has so few available for the residents and millions of visitors.

Just like I 95 which runs up the eastern seaboard for thousands of miles, the beaches do the same yet they both stop at the same place in Miami leaving over a million "Miami" residents without coastline with sand.

Absolutely crazy.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:02 AM

652 posts, read 1,653,938 times
It's funny you mention rude and unfriendly people and move to where they have the biggest population of them. And you are wrong the AC needs to run from December to December in south Florida.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I think the problem is your lack of familiarity with the areas being discussed. Coconut Grove has a A/B PUBLIC elementary school i.e. Coconut Grove Elementary. The Middle School is Ponce De Leone which I think is B/C and it has one of the best IB programs in the country. Then there is coral gables high which also has one of the best IB programs in the country. So, no one has to pay a dime to send their kid to get a quality education in the Grove. The other schools I listed, in relation to the other areas I mentioned, are also public schools. I believe a lot of people do not do proper research about much of anything in this life. Then when they get lemons they want to cry about it. If people are proactive they can find really good areas on the east side of Miami, in a diverse area. There will naturally be trade offs for sure, but you can do it, if you want it. I'm not going to lie and say Miami is the best city ever, it isn't. Not even close. But it isn't dire straights either.
Actually, I am familiar. A B/C school is not an option for my children and I do not think it is viable for anyone else who may purchase a 500k+ home. Coral Gables has had a quality IB program for 30 years but it is a small percentage of its student body and the rest of the school is not up to par.

I am not speaking about just looking at the research numbers either or lack thereof. I have actually been in some of these schools including Gables HS. A much different perspective. No, not dire straights but not what many others expect when they live in similar highly regarded communities elsewhere and are on this forum looking for options. For example, there are many A rated schools in Coral Springs with great test scores but they are below par with other suburban, highly rated schools and this is due to discipline issues (i.e. bullying, fighting, truancy and gang related activity.)

Research is one thing, real world experience and observation another. I will concede though, everyone has different standards and for many these schools would be a step up from there own and a child could certainly prosper and be given all the tools they need for success.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
No doubt. But even in Manhattan, as I am sure you know, things can vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. People think (not you, as you live in the city) that the show Sex in the City is representative of Manhattan living. Reality is, there are filthy rich people in Manhattan, with neighborhoods that would put the richest neighborhood in Miami to shame. Then there are areas that are poverty stricken, that no one who doesn't have to, would want to live there. And as you have pointed out, depending on which end of that spectrum you live in, will determine how you perceive the city. But that is true of anywhere.

It's true. Could I explain to someone the areas and differences with each neighborhood in Manhattan? Sure. Would I be completely correct? No.

However, we can all agree with certain characteristics of the neighborhoods and life within them but the nuances of each 10 blocks in Manhattan do not represent NYC as a whole.

Regarding Miami, it is the same. It's easy to describe the differences between some of the neighborhoods but that doesn't necessarily represent how exactly one might live in Miami.

My dislike of Miami, which certainly comes through in my writing here, is specifically geared towards life in the southwest suburbs and I should always remain very specific with this and be mindful that it is only my opinion.

I found this forum while researching South Florida neighborhoods and schools and I wind up chiming in occasionally when I feel the desire to check in and find a thread I think I can help someone with and avoid a mistake. However, I always end up feeling bad afterwards for writing anything negative.

I should just get over my personal disappointments with the area and take it for what it is. A place I enjoy to visit! Switching my schedule to 95% NY this summer should help alleviate this.

Cheers.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrockfisher View Post
Actually, I am familiar. A B/C school is not an option for my children and I do not think it is viable for anyone else who may purchase a 500k+ home. Coral Gables has had a quality IB program for 30 years but it is a small percentage of its student body and the rest of the school is not up to par.

I am not speaking about just looking at the research numbers either or lack thereof. I have actually been in some of these schools including Gables HS. A much different perspective. No, not dire straights but not what many others expect when they live in similar highly regarded communities elsewhere and are on this forum looking for options. For example, there are many A rated schools in Coral Springs with great test scores but they are below par with other suburban, highly rated schools and this is due to discipline issues (i.e. bullying, fighting, truancy and gang related activity.)

Research is one thing, real world experience and observation another. I will concede though, everyone has different standards and for many these schools would be a step up from there own and a child could certainly prosper and be given all the tools they need for success.
I was wrong, Ponce De Leone was graded a A school http://oada.dadeschools.net/SchoolPe...rends/6741.pdf I am trying to find a more recent report, I thought it was a B last year, but I could be wrong. I know I said B/C but i was wrong, but this also shows, no, you, yourself don't necessary have familiarity with these schools or areas. People pay millions of dollars in NYC to live in a particular area and the zoned schools are not always necessarily the best. But a parent who truly cares pushes their kids so they can get into a specialized program via lottery. As for Coral Gables Senior, it not only has a IB program, but also some very well rated AP programs. Now, unless you graduated last year, worked at CG senior or have a kid there, you have no idea first hand whats going on in that school. As to the price of homes, again lack of familiarity. You can get a place in the grove for as little as 185,000 so I am not sure where the 500,000 number is coming from.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:52 AM

683 posts, read 854,073 times
Quote:
Tons of diversity in Coconut Grove, Edgewater, Midtown, Downtown, Downtown Coral Gables area. I live in the Grove and I see people from every walk of life and various ethnicities. You are just as likely to hear french in the Grove as you are to hear English or Spanish. Not sure where you lived in Miami, but I live on the east side and I am up and down the east side almost every week. So I am a little puzzled by this statement.
Sorry I but I think you are exaggerating on the tons diversity part. I lived in the Grove when it was truly diverse. I think you confusing tourists as actual residents. Same can be said for other parts you mentioned to a point. Most of the jobs are going to be heavily Hispanic based also. I'm sure you are not hearing French at your job as you hear English either. Miami is a predominately Hispanic city at this point. I don't think you can put tourist heavy areas apart of the equation. They come and go.

I know you are the "King of NY, but refuses to move back" LOL but you are off about the tons of diversity in Miami. If you are talking early 2000's and back I would tend to agree. In this point in time, nah. Broward has that topped by far at this point of time. In West Miramar you are going to see white, black, West Indian, Indian, Hispanic, and to my recent surprise Asian. The difference is they live there.

Last edited by deboinair; 05-08-2014 at 11:09 AM..

Old 05-08-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
It's funny you mention rude and unfriendly people and move to where they have the biggest population of them. And you are wrong the AC needs to run from December to December in south Florida.
I can tell you have been watching a lot of tv and have done little travel time in NYC. The people in NYC are light years friendlier than they are in Miami, I have lived in both, was born in NYC and I can attest to that first hand. Broward, people are even worse. Bunch of unfriendly people. And I lived in various areas of Broward, trying to find a good fit. from west to the eastern halves of Broward County. All areas were well off economically so we can't put this on economics either. I do like Miami though, but im not going to sugar coat South Florida either. It is a different ball of wax in terms of people than northern cities that have true communities.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
Sorry I but I think you are exaggerating on the tons diversity part. I lived in the Grove when it was truly diverse. I think you confusing tourists as actual residents.
I live in the Grove and I walk about 3 miles a day in the Grove, every day, after work. My son goes to school in the Grove, and just looking at the parents and hearing everything from French, to Persian, Arabic, Spanish to English proves my point. I didn't even mention the Africans (from Africa) that live here either. Move here, raise kids here, THEN come and talk to me about what you "think".

Old 05-08-2014, 11:19 AM

683 posts, read 854,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
But those areas are still part of Miami. That is his experience, that's where he lives and that's his reality. Just like your experience will be very different if you lived in Pinecrest, Hialeah, Coral Gables, Little River, Homestead or West Kendall. Miami is a huge city. And the same thing is true for Broward, it is not the same experience if you live in Miramar, Weston, Coral Springs, Sunrise, Hallandale, Pompano or Hollywood. They are all different areas with different demographics, architecture and household incomes.

I'm going to have to disagree here. Except Weston. I would say you are going to get pretty much the same type of experience in all of these areas in Broward. Weston aka Westonuela is probably the main city that is heavily Latin out of those areas, but people speak English there. I used the work there and didn't mind it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami