Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:33 PM

253 posts, read 434,368 times

Advertisements

This will work. Guys like Beckham are bold thinkers who destroy conventional wisdom, like all the concerns in this thread. I just hope the Canes are wise enough to latch hold and rescue themselves from the bland regulating atrocity of Sun Life Stadium.

The varying caliber of the two local stadium proposals is hilarious. Steve Ross wants to patch a 27 year old venue in a worthless location. Yet somehow he uses the word "vision" to describe his legacy on the matter. Laughingstock is more like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 02:05 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,567,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
it's because I don't want to have to pay taxes to subsidize something I don't use. If I have the choice of getting rid of the half penny tax and making the transit systems pay for themselves instead of endlessly subsidize them I will happily take it. I would like to see transit stop relying on general revenue and pay for itself. When I say transit I don't just mean metromover metrorail and metrobus I also mean our very expensive road system, but I don't want toll increases to be used as a pretext 4 more government spending I want general taxes to be slashed by the same amount revenue is raised by tolls and other fees.
Problem is transit never pays for itself anywhere. As for the Metromover being free they figured that to replace the fare boxes to recover a $0.50 cent fee was cost prohibitive. If you start charging for Metromover again ridership will drop also and that becomes a problem in trying to secure Federal funding to expand the system.
You already pay the transit tax through the sales tax everytime you purchase something anyways. Also the expansion of Metrorail to the Airport was funded mostly through the transit tax and was also done without a penny from the Feds. We need to keep the transit tax otherwise you will see a reduction in transit service almost immediately.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:10 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Problem is transit never pays for itself anywhere. As for the Metromover being free they figured that to replace the fare boxes to recover a $0.50 cent fee was cost prohibitive. If you start charging for Metromover again ridership will drop also and that becomes a problem in trying to secure Federal funding to expand the system.
You already pay the transit tax through the sales tax everytime you purchase something anyways. Also the expansion of Metrorail to the Airport was funded mostly through the transit tax and was also done without a penny from the Feds. We need to keep the transit tax otherwise you will see a reduction in transit service almost immediately.
I get that ridership will drop because driving becames more cost effective. But if they made a tax 4 every mile people drive it would be worth it. Say 10cents every mile they drive on a city road and 15 cents per mile on highways. I am sure if something like this was installed ridership on public transit would be fine.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:53 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
That argument goes both ways. Driving a car isn't the only cost. We also have to maintain roads, and like mass tarnsit, they too are not self sustaining.

Check this out

Quote:
Unlike transit, highways aren't subsidized.

Only if you don't factor in things like Michigan's tax of 19 cents per gallon of regular gasoline you pay at the pump, and the 18.4-cent federal tax.

True, that same pot of money pays for both road building and maintenance and for building and operating transit. But a U.S. Public Interest Research Group (PIRG) report in January debunked the notion that those taxes -- often called "user fees" by advocates of road spending -- are adequate. By PIRG's estimate, the U.S. has spent $600 billion more on highways since the system was built than what "user fees" such as gas taxes and vehicle registration fees paid for, and today those fees cover only about half of the cost of building and maintaining roads.

link

Old 04-04-2014, 04:58 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
This will work. Guys like Beckham are bold thinkers who destroy conventional wisdom, like all the concerns in this thread. I just hope the Canes are wise enough to latch hold and rescue themselves from the bland regulating atrocity of Sun Life Stadium.
I'm not saying Beckham is a stupid guy who doesn't understand the obstacles to his plan, but he's also just a recently retired soccer star who is looking at things through the lens of grandeur and glitz. There are some legitimate (but not insurmountable) impediments to this project regarding transportation and leasing costs that need to be properly evaluated. I think the ownership group knows how much they're under the microscope regarding not using public funding, but there also needs to be a comprehensive plan in place to solve some of these issues. I actually want this team to succeed and want to encourage others to support the team, and that's hard to do if the county/ownership create controversies (which they haven't yet, but could easily do if they're not careful).

Old 12-29-2014, 11:54 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
going...going...gone?

A year later, David Beckham

Old 12-29-2014, 03:11 PM

There has been talk of something tangible within the next month. This has to be resolved one way or the other very soon.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:33 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers29 View Post
There has been talk of something tangible within the next month. This has to be resolved one way or the other very soon.
something tangible is happening in Minneapolis, Sacramento next?

Reports: MLS decides to expand into Minneapolis | Soccer | Sporting News

Old 03-14-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
something tangible is happening in Minneapolis, Sacramento next?

Reports: MLS decides to expand into Minneapolis | Soccer | Sporting News
I think they're going to give Miami some more time to work this out. They don't have forever, though.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:34 PM

979 posts, read 2,094,390 times
I think Sacramento's chances went from good to slim after Minny got rewarded a team. MLS is going to work hard to make sure Becks gets it done in South Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami