Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:06 PM

696 posts, read 1,170,843 times

Advertisements

Not a soccer fan, but the rending looks good

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/20

Discuss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2014, 11:45 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,553 times
with a view of the Skyline it will look great. Parking is another question. Hope they increase public transportation to downtown by then.

Old 03-25-2014, 02:26 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,108,597 times
I say go for it, only I would want added that Beckham hasn't put in his plans is 2 extend the metro mover to the port which would not only benefit the team but anyone who goes 2 the port.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:08 AM

245 posts, read 662,830 times
Looks amazing!! I do agree that they really need to extend the Metro Mover to the port

Old 03-25-2014, 05:16 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,108,597 times
David Beckham’s big project: Design for PortMiami soccer stadium revealed - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com

Old 03-25-2014, 10:27 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
The stadium looks great. The problem with Miami though is its a bandwagon town when it comes to sports. People don't support if the team isn't any good. Look at the baseball stadium ... they said if they moved it closer to downtown people would attend ... nope its pretty empty most games. My only worry is that this stadium will not be filled either.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:31 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
The stadium looks great. The problem with Miami though is its a bandwagon town when it comes to sports. People don't support if the team isn't any good. Look at the baseball stadium ... they said if they moved it closer to downtown people would attend ... nope its pretty empty most games. My only worry is that this stadium will not be filled either.
Do you think attendance could be explained, partly by the fact the economy isn't in the best of shapes?

Old 03-25-2014, 10:40 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,553 times
Quote:
if they host a lot of international games (guinness international champions) and get UM to play football there from Sunlife stadium it would be great. article said theyre in the talks with UM. Beckham is a good start for international exposure.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:55 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,825,184 times
I agree, they are going to have to add a metro mover line. Most parking will be in Downtown Miami making people go over a proposed bridge to get to the stadium. How are decrepit old people like me going to make the trek to the stadium. People are going to have to walk from the parking garages and lots all the way to the Port of Miami or "PortMiami". Shuttle service will be a nightmare if implemented and if there is a game or event at the AAA you might as well forget it. It will also be dangerous having so many people crossing the busy streets of Downtown Miami.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:30 AM

389 posts, read 662,996 times
Quote:
I agree partly with this assessment. Hard to argue with the contention that South Florida is a bandwagon sports market. However, the situation with the Marlins is a little more complex. Baseball has never really had a chance in South Florida because of owners who have repeatedly dismantled the team (twice after it won the World Series) and left fans with what, in essence, is a minor league product. The current owner is a madman who fleeced the public to get the ballpark and now refuses to spend what it takes to put a competitive team on the field. No wonder the fans are turned off -- why root for a team and spend a lot of money supporting it when you know its best players won't be here long-term? The Marlins have a few very talented young players who could turn the franchise around if ownership would hold onto them, but does anybody really think Jose Fernandez and Giancarlo Stanton will be here three or four years from now? It took years of consistent success in the '70s under Don Shula for the Dolphins to build a fan base (which, unfortunately, is eroding because of years of weak ownership and mediocrity) and it isn't any different for the Marlins.

Miami isn't the type of city that will have sellouts every night for baseball -- even if the team is a contender -- but I do think that if Jeff Loria sells the team to someone like Micky Arison who has shown a commitment to building a championship team, you would see an uptick in interest and attendance. But Loria, from all indications, has no interest in selling ... sad.

Soccer can succeed if the ownership group doesn't repeat the mistakes that have been made with baseball over the years.

Last edited by Papillons2; 03-25-2014 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami