Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 11:53 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times

Advertisements

anybody recently used this service? i found one parked near my friends apartment and decided to try it out i recently got the card to use with it. Its a pretty cool concept. It was easy to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 08:33 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
I would be surprised if this works in the Miami area. I see cars stripped and on blocks on the future, or just the typical, dirty Miami car looking like a self service taxi.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:00 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I would be surprised if this works in the Miami area. I see cars stripped and on blocks on the future, or just the typical, dirty Miami car looking like a self service taxi.
The cars are all over Miami and its been doing well.

I prefer Zipcar but if you live downtown/Brickell and don't own a car it is a good way to go for those trips you need a small car for.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post

I prefer Zipcar but if you live downtown/Brickell and don't own a car it is a good way to go for those trips you need a small car for.
i like how they are all over midtown.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:27 PM

51 posts, read 82,389 times
I used to work for Car2Go Miami and the company let us use it to attend the many events the company hosted.

I think the concept is best applied when you go event hopping. For example, you go to bayside then decide you may want to take a ride to Cocowalk.

It saves you time looking for parking, plus it's small enough to fit almost anywhere tight.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:11 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Since I live on the Beach now, and most of my prospective car trips are outside of Car2Go's home region, I opted for Zipcar. Also all the Car2Go's in Miami Beach are in garages which can require several minutes just to get out of---which of course gets added on to your tab. By the time you get out of the 5th and Collins garage and get through the construction traffic it can already be 10 minutes, which is about what I've heard the average complete rental is. Finally, I don't have a smartphone or a tablet with 3G (only wifi), which you really do need to take full advantage of Car2Go. (A 2-way texting option to reserve and direct you to a Car2Go would be immensely useful!) I'm thinking Car2Go *may* be useful for me for the one-way trip back to the beach after taking the bus to Midtown for shopping on the way back from work--but only if there are enough cars parked there that I can just tap in to without making a smartphone reservation (assuming I happen to have my Kindle, using the free wifi is also an option).

Old 05-04-2014, 09:01 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post

Hopefully the concept can be successful. However, I have yet to see one as I rarely drive through the Brickell area and they do not need that in the rural areas i spend most of my driving time in.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Hopefully the concept can be successful. However, I have yet to see one as I rarely drive through the Brickell area and they do not need that in the rural areas i spend most of my driving time in.
yeah they are mostly in Brickell, Miami Beach (pedestrian friendly areas)

Old 05-05-2014, 04:13 PM

604 posts, read 618,437 times
even though i don't live in the area served by car2go, i carry the card and i've used it a couple of times.

within the city of Miami, you can park it wherever street parking is legal.
In South Beach or the airport, you have to park it in some designated areas.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:20 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Default First car2go trip

So I signed up for car2go and made my first trip last night. It was from the garage at 5th and Collins to Price Choice on NE2nd, and back. Nobody claimed the car I had parked, but there were 2 others on the same block in case someone had grabbed it.

The cars themselves do feel sluggish, and the braking is a bit funky. I wouldn't want to spend much time on I-95 with these cars. However, the message, voice prompts, and touch screen with GPS make it more user friendly than Zipcar.

When it came to loading my stuff in the back, it took a while to figure out how to open the back hatch. The website just says open it at the window first then pull two levers on the hatchback and it comes down. Hint: they left out a critical detail--you have to push the unlock button on the dash inside the car before any of this works!!!

For trips in the city where you're going to be parked for a while and street parking or dedicated garage parking is available--think dinner+movie, or any kind of extended shopping--it can be very advantageous because you don't pay for the time you're parked, or for the parking itself. It's a great way to come over to South Beach and have a guaranteed spot to park in the private garage closest to the Beach, without all the expense. Would also be cheaper than a cab or Uber to go between 5th and Collins and the Lincoln Road garage.

Now for the longer trips up to Broward County, and if you plan to buy bulky stuff, or if there's more than two of you, Zipcar is going to be way better. And if you want to buy beer.... *Technically* even when you put beer in the hatchback of a Car2Go, it is still in reach of the driver, and I imagine you can get busted for that!

Both options are definitely better than the hassle and expense of owning a car on the Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami