Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:07 PM

824 posts, read 1,179,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Urban Beach Week went smoothly mainly because the crowds were much less than in previous years, and really just concentrated near Fat Tuesday's and the Clevelander on Ocean. I felt the police presence was a bit overdone--it felt like living under martial law or something, complete with choppers flying overhead with spotlights every 10 minutes. Notably, most of the police presence was not about security, it was about traffic control. Which could be most directly dealt with by providing a viable alternative to sitting in the traffic. Turn the right lane of the causeways and 5th St. into dedicated bus lanes and run shuttles every 10-20 minutes late in to the night, from downtown and midtown, where there is ample parking and direct access to I-95. And let's get off our collective a**** and finally build Baylink!!!!!! Actually Memorial Day weekend is far from the only event that brings parking and traffic issues to the Beach--for example, we have Spring Break, Ultra, 4th of July, Halloween, New Year's, and several boat, car, and home shows. The most popular City garage near the Beach, at Collins and 7th, has space for 646 cars. I bet we'd have several times this many people getting off at a hypothetical Baylink stop around there...and every Baylink rider would free up a parking spot for somebody who has really does have no choice but to drive all the way. Many of these prospective riders would be working the event, freeing up more parking for those actually attending the event, making it easier for event-goers to come over to the Beach and spend $$$.
that's right.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:53 AM

683 posts, read 855,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Urban Beach Week went smoothly mainly because the crowds were much less than in previous years, and really just concentrated near Fat Tuesday's and the Clevelander on Ocean. I felt the police presence was a bit overdone--it felt like living under martial law or something, complete with choppers flying overhead with spotlights every 10 minutes. Notably, most of the police presence was not about security, it was about traffic control. Which could be most directly dealt with by providing a viable alternative to sitting in the traffic. Turn the right lane of the causeways and 5th St. into dedicated bus lanes and run shuttles every 10-20 minutes late in to the night, from downtown and midtown, where there is ample parking and direct access to I-95. And let's get off our collective a**** and finally build Baylink!!!!!! Actually Memorial Day weekend is far from the only event that brings parking and traffic issues to the Beach--for example, we have Spring Break, Ultra, 4th of July, Halloween, New Year's, and several boat, car, and home shows. The most popular City garage near the Beach, at Collins and 7th, has space for 646 cars. I bet we'd have several times this many people getting off at a hypothetical Baylink stop around there...and every Baylink rider would free up a parking spot for somebody who has really does have no choice but to drive all the way. Many of these prospective riders would be working the event, freeing up more parking for those actually attending the event, making it easier for event-goers to come over to the Beach and spend $$$.
That is the whole point. They are trying to end it. It will work. This is what they did at BCR in Daytona, one of my favorite events ever! It didn't start off ghetto, just a bunch of black college kids having fun. Then ghetto crowd started coming. Well look up BCR in Daytona and you will see that it doesn't really exist anymore.

The rest of what you said is 100% spot on the money. It's just too bad this place is so corrupt at the government level. Instead of wasting money and time on expanding these highways. Miami should have bullet trains throughout the city. South Beach would have a way less traffic problem if you parked out side of it and took a train down. I know they are supposed to building something like that off of 395, I just wonder effective it will be.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:38 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,906,883 times
Wow so much hate for other human beings on here, and I thought Miami wasn't racist, and that it was an open minded area.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:28 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,205,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLrunner View Post
Well said deboinair, after the last shooting SoBe is now on serious lock down for Memorial Day Weekend. This is why violence has been down........I also don't understand why this event keeps coming back to a city that doesn't want it........Atlanta got rid of Freaknik, why can't we get rid of Urban Beach Weekend...........
Didn't Urban Beach Weekend begin BECAUSE Atlanta got rid of Freaknik?

This year it seemed really, really quiet. I walked all over the SOBE on Sunday and it was mostly dead. Restaurants on Lincoln were completely empty at Noon when Sunday brunch crowds should have been filling the seats. It's really all sad considering that holiday weekends are typically business owners' bread and butter. One bad holiday weekend can severely damage a business in an environment of ever escalating rents.
I walked down Washington, Collins and onto Ocean Drive around 1 PM. Again, most restaurants were quiet even though they had expanded seating onto a closed Ocean Drive. There weren't many people milling about on Ocean either.
This weekend will end when promoters stop making money. They won't come if they can't sell tickets that justify the high cost of producing the event. I never heard the estimated numbers for this year's weekend but, from what I saw, it had to be way down from previous years.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:22 PM

284 posts, read 642,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Wow so much hate for other human beings on here, and I thought Miami wasn't racist, and that it was an open minded area.
your surprised? more than likely these people are white hispanics who immigrated here.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:51 AM

683 posts, read 855,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Apparently you have not been been around many Cubans in Miami. They are closest racists though, in fear of getting their head beat in, instead of being open about it.

This is not being racist in this thread. It's speaking the truth. It's a ghetto crowd. Not because it is black people. Because it truly is Ghetto! Like how some people don't want to go to the Daytona 500 because it's too redneck. Has nothing to do with race, just a certain type of people.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:40 AM

26 posts, read 39,718 times
Why do "non-black" people come on forums to bash us? If we are so sub-par, class-less, and ghetto as you like you portray why not ignore us? I have never been on a forum where we congregated to bash your race?

We don't group rednecks, hillbillys, and so on as a representative of whites. Why can't we get the same respect?

Get a life.

Old 06-05-2014, 05:57 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,751,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madamskinny View Post
Why do "non-black" people come on forums to bash us? If we are so sub-par, class-less, and ghetto as you like you portray why not ignore us? I have never been on a forum where we congregated to bash your race?

We don't group rednecks, hillbillys, and so on as a representative of whites. Why can't we get the same respect?

Get a life.
I am not racist at all because of my family, although I had really racist family members that later in years came around. We do not mind a black event that brings in tourist dollars and promotes black social activities, what we do hate what ever you are black or white or Hispanic is bringing the ghetto culture to our home.

My cousins are mixed black and Hispanic, they, in no way would ride down Collins almost naked and brawl with another girl for a off comment. In Fact if my Niece would EVER, I mean EVER act out of basic decency her father, then me, then her grandmother, grandfather and a a whole mess of our Cuban and African American names would have whooped her ass.

We expect a certain level of decency and class from our loved ones and our varies races.

ghetto has no skin color, trash is trash. Now that you had a Black weekend event where there was no real incident, and the black community had fun, enjoyed south beach but were respectful of the community then I say Yes! the police presence will dismiss quite a bit when it is a real event for Blacks, that offer them entertainment, venues chartered to them and none of the promotional side tricks that bring everyone one down for events that even rich folks can't afford. In other words we just don't want the freaknik drama, and the residents of south beach don't want it either!

Let's promote this thing better because I know there is a highly educated and alive Black community out there and we want them to visit us.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:03 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,418,280 times
^ you don't like rowdy blacks, so you blame the whole event as being ghetto.

Everyone is topless on south beach and half naked so that's shouldn't even be the issue, but maybe you just think seeing sexy, big butt black women having fun is obscene.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:24 AM

26 posts, read 39,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ you don't like rowdy blacks, so you blame the whole event as being ghetto.

Everyone is topless on south beach and half naked so that's shouldn't even be the issue, but maybe you just think seeing sexy, big butt black women having fun is obscene.

Well said.. THe EDM event (not sure if that is the name) had white women topless, some with pasties running around acting "ghetto" as this forum likes to say. But was the highlight on how white people are trash and dont contribute to their "city".

These women were high on drugs for the entire weekend acting like imbeciles but was the highlight on their race? Practically naked, replusive in my opinion. Let's be real people. Overdoses all over the place but I guess society brushes that under ther rug huh?

Please people, the hypocrisy is sickening.

Last edited by madamskinny; 06-06-2014 at 10:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami