Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2009, 07:15 PM

152 posts, read 627,261 times

Advertisements

I heard that Cutler Ridge was a decent place to move but I don't know about Cutler Bay. Is this a safe walkable neighborhood for a single girl?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,609,690 times
It is brand new, and I think there are sidewalks (walkability) but many people there have that 'just moved out of the ghetto' look to them. Loose credit standards have helped a lot of hoodlums move across town to newer subdivisions in recent years...

Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 PM

292 posts, read 956,318 times
Ya people get stabbed in that mall down there- last I remember. There is also alot of property crime in that area. Lots of people dont belong in that neighborhood- and were put there by loans made on horrible credit.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:27 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Cutler Ridge canged its name to Cutler Bay. Rebranded. It is safe enough if you use common sense. I wouldn't wear a lot of flashy jewelry or anything like that. Cutler Ridge Mall (renamed Southland Mall) has a reputation for some problems: some robberies and they used to have a lot of car thefts. I've been going there off and on since it opened in the early 80's and I've never witnessed a problem. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:26 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,201 times
Cutler Ridge and Cutler Bay is the same thing,Cutler Ridge was renamed Cutler Bay which does sound a bit classier,unfortunately the area overall is not good.I would pick up a family member from work in the area and would visit the mall without a problem,but you should always keep your guard up.Two instances that taught me that,one was when they killed someone in the ATM in the Regions bank where I would often use the ATM there and one time walking out of the movie theater at the mall and some strange guy followed us where if I wasn't paying attention and turned around and told him something I think we would have become robbery victims or worse as two people walking out of the movies into a huge parking lot shouldn't have someone like 5 feet right behind them and obviously following them.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:56 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by precisio View Post
I heard that Cutler Ridge was a decent place to move but I don't know about Cutler Bay. Is this a safe walkable neighborhood for a single girl?
No way would I let a single girlfriend of mine walk in Cutler Bay (aka Cutler Ridge). That says enough.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:24 PM

152 posts, read 627,261 times
Ohhhhkay. Got it. Thanks.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:07 AM

30 posts, read 84,686 times
Sounds like my old neighborhood really took a turn for the worst. Use to live in Whispering Pines across the street from the lake from the 60s to the 80s. You could leave your doors unlocked anytime until up into the 80s. My dad had his car stolen out of the front of the house in the early eighties and we started to lock up after that. In the later part of the eighties, even a few times people would try breaking in while we were awake watching TV or something but our dogs would put a stop to that. Nothing more amusing than seeing a German Shepard's hair stand up while it lets out a nasty growl.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:56 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,304,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARDHOG View Post
Sounds like my old neighborhood really took a turn for the worst. Use to live in Whispering Pines across the street from the lake from the 60s to the 80s. You could leave your doors unlocked anytime until up into the 80s. My dad had his car stolen out of the front of the house in the early eighties and we started to lock up after that. In the later part of the eighties, even a few times people would try breaking in while we were awake watching TV or something but our dogs would put a stop to that. Nothing more amusing than seeing a German Shepard's hair stand up while it lets out a nasty growl.
I lived in Whishpering Pine On the lake from 69 until Hurricane Andrew. I've never considered Whispering Pines to be part of Cutler Ridge. Close in proximity but not the same. That being said, even Whispering Pines took a big hit after Andrew. It is not the same area it once was.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:07 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,669,844 times
But isn't that still a nice area? West of the Turnpike hasn't been good for years, and also (surprisingly) I have heard complaints about the people in some of the newer development out by the Bay, but central/east Cutler Bay in general (including Whispering Pines) is still nice, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami