Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 03:09 PM

11 posts, read 16,277 times

Advertisements

This AM while going for a morning coffee on my bike (about 0915 from my receipt), I nearly got hit by a dark green Jeep SUV on SW 42nd st and SW149th Ave. It was driven by a youngish female that as I was crossing the street, noticed that the Jeep wasn't stopping and I yelled (which probably saved my life-she had the red and I was more concerned at traffic on SW42nd pulling into 149th as I crossed), got her attention and she braked to a stop a few inches from my fork and left leg. She pulled back probably concerned she had actually impacted. To me it seemed like slow motion as I looked down waiting for the impact and seeing that front end so close to me and my bike.

This is so common here as drivers pulling into an intersection NEVER bother to look on the right side as they make a 'california stop', then accelerate into the road without looking. It has happened countless times on sidewalk driveways from stores where many times I have to yell or stop and bang their hood so that they look in my direction.

And the worse thing is that there was a mother with a baby stroller behind me on the same block the Pinecrest Prepatory Middle/High school is.

People here are so concerned about the safety of their kids that they drive them to and from the school and then rush to and from work without thinking that they are making the problem worse. The street along the Middle high school is a literal parking lot of cars waiting for the kids.

I had considered calling the Police to file a report but realized that the woman was as shocked and scared as I was at what could have happened that I HOPE that she has learned a dire lesson in driver safety.

I think a PSA is in order here for a refresher on looking BOTH ways when crossing an intersection. Such a simple safety precaution taught to us when kids but now long forgotten.

THIS is why I never recommend anyone cycle touring in these sections of miami-dade. Such a shame really as there are some nice looking neighborhoods and parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2023, 06:57 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,485,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryupa View Post
This AM while going for a morning coffee on my bike (about 0915 from my receipt), I nearly got hit by a dark green Jeep SUV on SW 42nd st and SW149th Ave. It was driven by a youngish female that as I was crossing the street, noticed that the Jeep wasn't stopping and I yelled (which probably saved my life-she had the red and I was more concerned at traffic on SW42nd pulling into 149th as I crossed), got her attention and she braked to a stop a few inches from my fork and left leg. She pulled back probably concerned she had actually impacted. To me it seemed like slow motion as I looked down waiting for the impact and seeing that front end so close to me and my bike.

This is so common here as drivers pulling into an intersection NEVER bother to look on the right side as they make a 'california stop', then accelerate into the road without looking. It has happened countless times on sidewalk driveways from stores where many times I have to yell or stop and bang their hood so that they look in my direction.

And the worse thing is that there was a mother with a baby stroller behind me on the same block the Pinecrest Prepatory Middle/High school is.

People here are so concerned about the safety of their kids that they drive them to and from the school and then rush to and from work without thinking that they are making the problem worse. The street along the Middle high school is a literal parking lot of cars waiting for the kids.

I had considered calling the Police to file a report but realized that the woman was as shocked and scared as I was at what could have happened that I HOPE that she has learned a dire lesson in driver safety.

I think a PSA is in order here for a refresher on looking BOTH ways when crossing an intersection. Such a simple safety precaution taught to us when kids but now long forgotten.

THIS is why I never recommend anyone cycle touring in these sections of miami-dade. Such a shame really as there are some nice looking neighborhoods and parks.
Sorry this happened to you but you should not bicycle on busy streets in Miami like Bird Road.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:30 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
In fairness and sadly, many bicycle riders and pedestrians ignore basic rules of the road and are no better than our awful drivers. I’m extra careful when crossing the street and take nothing for granted.

Last edited by elchevere; 08-17-2023 at 07:48 AM..

Old 08-17-2023, 08:09 AM

126 posts, read 219,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
In fairness and sadly, many bicycle riders and pedestrians ignore basic rules of the road and are no better than our awful drivers. I’m extra careful when crossing the street and take nothing for granted.
I've lived in the area for a few years now and it never ceases to amaze me that the carelessness of pedestrians, drivers and scooters etc. My preferred method of getting around is walking when it is feasible. I have lived in major metropolitan areas all my life and have always been extra careful as a pedestrian but Miami has brought my awareness to a whole new level.

I've discussed this subject with friends and relatives who have lived in the area for decades. We concluded that a possible explanation could be that many people in the area have come from other countries where the driving /pedestrian laws are less stringent or are not enforced at all. Every big city has it's share of bad drivers but in my Miami experience it seems there is no such thing as a fender bender. Many accidents I see after the fact look something like a NASCAR wreck with vehicles toppled over and many police on scene.

Bottom line is whether walking, driving or bicycling you really need to be extra vigilant in Miami. In some cases as previously mentioned it may be best to avoid some areas altogether when on a bike.

Old 08-17-2023, 08:48 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,485,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr8999 View Post
I've lived in the area for a few years now and it never ceases to amaze me that the carelessness of pedestrians, drivers and scooters etc. My preferred method of getting around is walking when it is feasible. I have lived in major metropolitan areas all my life and have always been extra careful as a pedestrian but Miami has brought my awareness to a whole new level.

I've discussed this subject with friends and relatives who have lived in the area for decades. We concluded that a possible explanation could be that many people in the area have come from other countries where the driving /pedestrian laws are less stringent or are not enforced at all. Every big city has it's share of bad drivers but in my Miami experience it seems there is no such thing as a fender bender. Many accidents I see after the fact look something like a NASCAR wreck with vehicles toppled over and many police on scene.

Bottom line is whether walking, driving or bicycling you really need to be extra vigilant in Miami. In some cases as previously mentioned it may be best to avoid some areas altogether when on a bike.
The OP of this thread is probably the same (duplicated) OP of a similar Orlando thread. He claims the drivers do not come from other states, they are born and bred in FLorida. https://www.city-data.com/forum/orla...dumb-here.html

Old 08-17-2023, 01:16 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,446,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
THIS

Old 08-17-2023, 01:30 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,481,954 times
Bicyclists have full right to the roads, but they owe it to themselves for their own safety to be a little more cautious than some tend to be. Kinda ike a pedestrian crosswalk - sure, they have the right to walk in the crosswalk regardless of traffic, and cars are supposed to stop and wait for them to cross. But they could be dead right if they step out in front of moving traffic. Not to mention, bikes (and motorcycles) are hard to see because drivers expect to see other cars. And just my opinion, although the law doesn't support my opinion - bicyclists shouldn't travel on busy roads during rush hour and hold up traffic. It's just not safe.

Old 08-17-2023, 03:13 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,321,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryupa View Post

This is my only real complaint about Miami. The drivers are trash here. They're face timing and texting while driving and have no concept that pedestrians have the right of way. I just read a story of an NFL player that got killed on his motorcycle in Lauderdale Lakes. The drivers in Miami are the worst. They drive right through pedestrian cross walks even when the pedestrian has activated the flashing yellow lights for the crosswalk. I have resorted to filming the cars with my iphone as they approach the crosswalk when I entering it. They are super annoyed, but they generally will then stop. It is very sickening to see such an overt disregard for traffic law. For Miami to become a first rate city, pedestrians have to be safe to cross streets as do bicyclists. Miami police need to issue hefty summons to the drivers committing these serious traffic infractions. It's a real problem.

Old 08-17-2023, 04:40 PM

18,431 posts, read 8,264,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
an NFL player that got killed on his motorcycle in Lauderdale Lakes. .
he was going so fast he ended up inside her car......

Old 08-17-2023, 06:14 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,321,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
he was going so fast he ended up inside her car......
Or the driver of the SUV cut him off and he was unable to hit the brakes. Still under investigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami