Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 03:58 PM

5 posts, read 11,656 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm 38 years old and I've been living in Miami for a long time. My circle of friends was mostly from back in my student days but, by now, most have moved away or we've simply lost touch as they settled down and started new families. I would love to meet new people to talk or hang out with but I've no idea where to do so! I guess I've been out of the loop for a while now. I usually love to read at Starbucks or B&N but it doesn't seem like people just like talking to strangers. Are there any new places to chill and meet people? Thanks if anyone can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 05:24 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,836 times
Do you know what MeetUp is? There are some 2,000 groups on there to try in the Miami area. You can find a few that sound good to you and try them out, giving you a chance to meet people and maybe try something you've never done before at the same time! Nearly every interest is on there - just stay away from the "photography" ones that ask for models... super skeevy. The others are mostly normal, and can be really fun and interesting. I know a girl who tried a co-ed soccer team that said they were willing to train people totally new to soccer (which she was), and a few years later she was married to one of the guys she met that day! I have seen some groups that even plan trips abroad together using some of the connections of the members - like one planned a trip to Thailand for 20 people based on a common love of tropical fruit and having several Thai members in the group! You never know what you'll find.

It is hard to just start talking to strangers in Miami, it's not really a common practice. People mostly go somewhere to get something done or meet people they already know, not to just hang out. Nowadays you have to go online and type first, just to be able to meet someone in person and speak to them out loud. Life has gotten weird. But, there are new adventures to be had.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:13 PM

Thanks so much! I'm going to look it up online now. I have noticed that indeed people here just seem to be in a hurry to get things done and leave. I rarely see people just hanging out and reading at coffee shops or bookstores! Kinda sad.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:37 PM

798 posts, read 1,459,652 times
How horrible is having to recur to those sites to make friends in Miami... when it should happen naturally.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:48 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
How horrible is having to recur to those sites to make friends in Miami... when it should happen naturally.
Sadly less and less things happen naturally in this day and age.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:45 PM

249 posts, read 419,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
I think it's more of a smartphone thing to be honest. We don't have to talk to people anymore when you can just crank up the music in my headphones, while texting someone you already know.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:55 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,886 times
Op I work from home and just moved to a new area last year so I have lost most of my close by friends which made lunch dates and quick coffee meet ups easy.

But there are a few places that I have made new friends and a bit more socializing during the day. I attend all the local community town halls and have met lots of nieghbors and also attend the local small business owners meetings for networking. I do have my fellow cross fit pals that really bond with each other especially the women that are close to my age.

In the past I joined a gardening club which focused on roses and met a lot of folks that way.

There is a woman that teaches on how to cook Indian food in south Miami and that is a great way of meeting new people and learning something as well.

Also if you have time in the evening MDCC has a lot of classes like cooking, floral design home design etc. when I was single before meeting second husband I met a lot of freinds this way.

You can always join a single groups in varies churches and meet folks that way too.

Basically I think these days you have to get involved in a groups or activities to meet folks, where at least there is a way to introduce your self.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Op I work from home and just moved to a new area last year so I have lost most of my close by friends which made lunch dates and quick coffee meet ups easy.

But there are a few places that I have made new friends and a bit more socializing during the day. I attend all the local community town halls and have met lots of nieghbors and also attend the local small business owners meetings for networking. I do have my fellow cross fit pals that really bond with each other especially the women that are close to my age.

In the past I joined a gardening club which focused on roses and met a lot of folks that way.

There is a woman that teaches on how to cook Indian food in south Miami and that is a great way of meeting new people and learning something as well.

Also if you have time in the evening MDCC has a lot of classes like cooking, floral design home design etc. when I was single before meeting second husband I met a lot of freinds this way.

You can always join a single groups in varies churches and meet folks that way too.

Basically I think these days you have to get involved in a groups or activities to meet folks, where at least there is a way to introduce your self.
Thanks so much for all your suggestions! I am going to see if there are any groups that need volunteers to help at animal shelters and also cooking classes sound like a lot of fun. Especially since my cooking skills are extremely limited. Indeed, I ind that just chatting up strangers in coffee shops/bookstores or just about anywhere else seems to be frown upon. It's a pity since, in most of the cities I've visited outside Miami, I've always had random strangers start up a conversation on just about anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLoud View Post
I think it's more of a smartphone thing to be honest. We don't have to talk to people anymore when you can just crank up the music in my headphones, while texting someone you already know.
I actually think it has more to do with the fact that people in Miami tend to prefer to just hang out with friends and people they already know. Most people just seem to go places to either get something done or meet up with someone. I think it may have to do with the fact that you have to drive everywhere as opposed to cities where you can just walk or take the metro/subway and chill anywhere. The cost of gas plus the time it takes to get somewhere just to sit and chill by yourself, I think, puts most people off down here.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:20 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailyn38 View Post
Thanks so much for all your suggestions! I am going to see if there are any groups that need volunteers to help at animal shelters and also cooking classes sound like a lot of fun. Especially since my cooking skills are extremely limited. Indeed, I ind that just chatting up strangers in coffee shops/bookstores or just about anywhere else seems to be frown upon. It's a pity since, in most of the cities I've visited outside Miami, I've always had random strangers start up a conversation on just about anything.
The Miami dade animal shelter needs volunteers to feed kittens since they are overwhelmed post spring time.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
The Miami dade animal shelter needs volunteers to feed kittens since they are overwhelmed post spring time.
Thanks! Is that the one on 74th? I've heard some horrible things about that shelter. Do you know if it's gotten any better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: