Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 10:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,820,281 times

Advertisements

Good for you, I don't see this place getting any better, at least not in the immediate future. You can always come back or move to a different place if things don't work out were you are going. Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 02:16 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,418,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meiguogubaren View Post

Besides, if I were to live in a real city, I would live in New York City, now that's something to brag about.
from someone who goes back and forth between Miami and NYC. I prefer Miami overall. I prefer space and not being rushed like in NYC.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:32 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Thank you Travelassie! I love both Pennsylvania and West Virginia, I've been there 3 times and each time has been very pleasant. The style of people is definitely different from the people in South Florida, like night and day really, and the overall lifestyle is much more lax. I've never been up there for the winter, but I have experienced winter with snow in NYC, and really didn't even faze me. I'm definitely ready for the winters and whatever else comes my way, since its all going to be a learning experience and that's what counts in the end.
There you go! I spent two years in Morgantown when I attended WVU- I lived out near the medical center because that's where most of my classes were- and mostly walked from where I was living UP the hill to the med. center. I had grown up and gone to school, and worked for a couple years in an near Pittsburgh, so winter was not a novelty for me- guess that's to be expected when you grow up with it.

This was eons ago, I'm sure it's all changed in Morgantown now- I haven't been back there since I graduated, but it's spectacularly beautiful country, the whole state seemed like a state park.

You're right, it'll be a new adventure for you, you'll see lots, learn lots and meet lots of great people. Best of luck with all of it!

Old 06-26-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Well, it's a good thing your headed north in July. At least you'll have a few months of decent weather before the awful weather sets in. Enjoy it! And embrace the winter when it comes! However, dont forget to visit.

And the fall! With the leaves changing colors- it's spectacular, especially in WV.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by credding View Post

Love your post, thanks for taking the time to do a fair writeup, me and my wife, of 17 years are planning to make a moved to south Florida as well. We are both ex army, have been around the world, settling in Texas in 2003 cause of the job market here. Well now we are both tired of the extreme heat in the Texas summers, but still have ice and cold in the winter.
We both have BS degrees and I can take my job with me, and would just love to have a bit more warm weather in our lives. I think the weather there is about like Honduras and we lived it there.
I guess it's probably a fair guess that the Miami weather is fairly similar to that of Honduras- I"ve never been there, though. Miami is hot and humid in the summer ( though the temperatures during the day don't usually get above the low 90's- unlike Texas?) And the weather is beautiful in the winters- no snow and ice there.

Sounds like especially with a portable job, you and your wife could live about anywhere you choose, so good luck and best wishes wherever you end up!

Old 06-26-2014, 01:39 PM

683 posts, read 852,748 times
Quote:
thank you all, I will be around the West Virginia/Pennsylvania area since I will be very close to both states. As I said before, perhaps I will come back in a few years and see Miami differently, but for now, it's just not for me.

good luck and much success to everyone in here

Best of luck! But no way would I want to live in either of those states. lol You are in college so it will be a different experience.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:46 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,366 times
PA winters are getting worse, they had a real bad one this past winter. So what the weather experts say, expect more of the same this winter.

Being a PA native, from the Philly area when I go back to PA to visit or for business it's a real eye opener. I think the biggest thing I notice is how miserable people look and act, also how people look physically mainly out of shape severely and overweight. Also there is a depressing feeling that comes over me when I see the blight in some areas which make the worst parts of places around here look like Mulberry.

Still though if you never lived there, it's probably a new sensation and experience. PA has a lot to offer, great universities and education system, more so then I can say about Florida...

Old 06-28-2014, 09:10 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
Miami's problems are unique for the young. I am assuming the OP is a recent HS graduate...and probably going away for college. Why wouldn't he or shy brag about it or be excited? Thank God someone has a different mentality than "I'm going to Miami Dade" which is a fine school....but still. The job market in South Florida isn't great and housing costs are astronomical when compared to income. That's the real story. At least if there was affordable housing, people could get by with lower paying Florida job and just deal with the traffic and whatever other issues. Good luck to the OP, if you decide to come back South Florida will always be here...and as a side note, people are different in different places. A lot of it is in your mind, your perception, etc....but when you see how strangers treat strangers or random drivers behave on the road compared to Miami, you will most likely be pleasantly surprised. Some people don't value kindness and are dismissive of these benefits elsewhere-their loss. But it sounds like there will be many exciting and new factors coming into play for you. Write us and let us know how it's going for you down the road...

Old 06-28-2014, 10:25 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,729,651 times
Quote:
thank you all, I will be around the West Virginia/Pennsylvania area since I will be very close to both states. As I said before, perhaps I will come back in a few years and see Miami differently, but for now, it's just not for me.

good luck and much success to everyone in here
Get your fill of everything. You might want to return to Miami after you see much of the rest. Report back.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:08 PM

185 posts, read 247,814 times
I left Miami for Cleveland years ago...best decision I've ever made. Looking forward to lebron coming home too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami