Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 08:24 PM

4 posts, read 3,156 times

Advertisements

Helllo everyone!

I really need your help. I am a 22 year old female from the midwest planning to move to Miami within the next couple of months. I will be making the thousand mile trek from Iowa (yes, there's a lot of corn here) and plan on attending Grad School at FIU- BBC and Miami Ad School this fall. I'm super excited, but starting to worry about housing options.

I've noticed a lot of off-campus housing options for students who need to be at the MMC campus, but I will rarely ever need to be over there. I am looking to live closer to the FIU BBC area in North Miami/Aventura/Hallendale, etc.

I would like to find a 1 bedroom/1 bath or studio in a high rise apartment complex- seeing as I am from Iowa and not used to the Hurricane season, it would be nice to have close neighbors to seek out help if needed.

This is where you guys come in..
I am hoping some locals can recommend me apartment complexes to live in a safe community. I am willing to pay a little more, in order to be close to BBC.

I won't have the opportunity to drive down there before I have to move, so it would be nice to have a realtor or property that is willing to work online or over the phone to figure out the details. This makes it extremely hard for me to get an understanding of the area and apartments because I am so far away, that's why I am asking for your help.

Any recommendations? advice? or suggestions of how to start looking?

Please and thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 08:39 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,012,266 times
If you have not already take a look at this map: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...811&dg=feature

It will give you an idea on where to look and more importantly where not to look.

Do you have a budge in mind? We give much better advice with a known budget.

Also do you mind driving to school much? How long of a drive would you be willing to do every day?

Those two questions can help us help you much more effectively.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:53 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,891 times
I live near the FIU Biscayne Bay Campus. A starting price would help

Old 06-30-2014, 02:54 AM

37 posts, read 80,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneeks View Post
Helllo everyone!

I am looking to live closer to the FIU BBC area in North Miami/Aventura/Hallendale, etc.

I would like to find a 1 bedroom/1 bath or studio in a high rise apartment complex- seeing as I am from Iowa and not used to the Hurricane season, it would be nice to have close neighbors to seek out help if needed.

This is where you guys come in..
I am hoping some locals can recommend me apartment complexes to live in a safe community. I am willing to pay a little more, in order to be close to BBC.

I won't have the opportunity to drive down there before I have to move, so it would be nice to have a realtor or property that is willing to work online or over the phone to figure out the details. This makes it extremely hard for me to get an understanding of the area and apartments because I am so far away, that's why I am asking for your help.

Any recommendations? advice? or suggestions of how to start looking?
Best bet to keep it on a budget is Skylake area.Is not a flooding zone area is close to i-95 and 10 minutes away from FIU on car a little longer if you use a bike! And very safe by the way.If you see any ads or talk to a realtor mention Skylake,they be cheaper than anything along US1 near FIU but still well taken care of with a fancy touch and sorrounded by expensive homes on the north side.Is about around Miami Gardens Drive and NE 15Ave.

Well just a sugestion I thought of right off.I actually loved that area.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sk...5c34838749c829

Old 06-30-2014, 10:51 AM

4 posts, read 3,156 times
Thanks everyone! You already have helped answer a lot of questions.

Thank you so much for the Map! That really helps out!

I don't really have a starting price, but maximum price is preferably no more than $1,500 for rent a month. Because I am a student, cheaper the better- but I'm willing to pay more for a nice community.

Move-in date: Middle of August

I'm going to have my car which gets decent gas mileage- so I'm not too worried about driving. I will have to drive from FIU BBC to Miami Ad School (South Beach - Alton Road) for classes anyway. It would be nice to live closer to one or the other or to live in the middle somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami