Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 05:03 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,079,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
You probably have a 6 figure salary.

That area has Costco, AT&T Headquarters, TigeDirect headquarters, HomeDepot, Leon Medical Center, Midway Ford, Publix, and condos that are more expensive than similar condos in Kendall and Hi Aleah. That area where Mall of the Americas is located is not my definition of a poor neighborhood. Opalocka is a poor neighborhood, or the black populated regions of Miami where vehicles must have anti theft devices, and pedestrians could be robbed after 7pm.

I remember when Westchester, Sweetwater and Fountainebleau and all the areas near FIU built during the 70's were mostly low middle class to middle class, with poor pockets and trailer parks. A rather disparaging area that became overcrowded duirng the 80's. It was the first Cuban expansion out of the hub back in the 60's and 70's.

Flagami is a very deceiving areas, rather old properties that fetch high prices because efficiencies, high density, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 01:07 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
That mall is so ratchet!
It's like disgusting and the shopping options there are tragic. It's more like a bizarre than a proper mall.

I like Aventura Mall...

Old 02-10-2015, 04:16 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
Interesting thread. I remember Midway Mall too. Took my learners driver's license test at the DMV in the Mall...

Other than the 'Anchors' like the Home Depot. When I have actually walked in the mall (which is rare) - it looks dead. Disorganized and like OptimusPrime69 said, a bizarre (or I would call it a flea market).

Maybe putting a Costco there and some clever marketing along with a variety of stores could revitalize the mall... IMHO, it will be tough because you have International and Dolphin Mall not that far away.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:44 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,900,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
That mall is so ratchet!
It's like disgusting and the shopping options there are tragic. It's more like a bizarre than a proper mall.

I like Aventura Mall...
Do you mean a bizarre bazaar?

Old 02-11-2015, 11:19 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
That mall is so ratchet!

I like Aventura Mall...
There is one or two benefits to Mall of the Americas compared to Aventura I can think of. Depends on your demographic.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:36 AM

2,975 posts, read 4,941,918 times
I say re-develop the whole thing as transit oriented mixed use development connected to a light rail line running along Flagler between Miami Beach and FIU. Kind of like "downtown" Doral, but with more appropriate infrastructure. The central location is begging for this kind of approach! Easy access to both mass transit and the highways--now that would be convenient. It would quickly make up for the public investment in terms of property tax and sales tax revenue.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:34 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
I say re-develop the whole thing as transit oriented mixed use development connected to a light rail line running along Flagler between Miami Beach and FIU. Kind of like "downtown" Doral, but with more appropriate infrastructure. The central location is begging for this kind of approach! Easy access to both mass transit and the highways--now that would be convenient. It would quickly make up for the public investment in terms of property tax and sales tax revenue.
Another White Elephant? Perhaps the connection of NW 7 avenue will improve accessibility.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:32 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Or at least change the goddamn name! It's oddly similar in name to a far bigger and better mall!

Old 02-20-2015, 06:48 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,897,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Or at least change the goddamn name! It's oddly similar in name to a far bigger and better mall!
The thing about that is that 95% of those who frequent this mall have never heard of or even know that mall in Minnesota exists.If there's something I know about the general population here is they don't get out much or even watch TV shows on the subject.I talk to people about things that I think are common knowledge and they have no clue about what I'm talking about,you think they're going to know anything about a huge mall in Bloomington,MN.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:15 PM

17 posts, read 25,152 times
Yeah the area has changed alot. I've been living in the area since 1978. I remember when the Midway Mall theater only had one or two screens. The mall had a Walden Books store, Luria's, Spencer's Gifts. I spent many a days hanging out at the now gone Castle Park.

The mall really sux. I only go to Home Depot now and avoid the mall.

The worst thing about the area (I'm on the east side of the Palmetto) is the 3rd world mentality and all of the efficiencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami