Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 12:53 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
How long ago was this? I haven't seen anything in South Beach under $1k in a while, and more typically it seems to be closer to $1200 for studios without parking nowadays.
A year and half ago. It was a tiny studio, small kitchen, no laundry, no parking, stairs. No frills kind of place. But it was a block from Lincoln Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 02:29 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,900,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
A year and half ago. It was a tiny studio, small kitchen, no laundry, no parking, stairs. No frills kind of place. But it was a block from Lincoln Road.
Yeah, you won't find that anymore unless someone personally owns the place and is giving you a special deal for some reason. Miami's rents just don't go with the wages paid here usually. It think it's especially hard on single people who want to live alone.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:37 PM

88 posts, read 107,110 times
I love it when people post on C-D asking for a place that is "cheap" & not "dangerous" without telling us what price range they can afford! We don't know what is "cheap" to you! Are we mind readers here? Considering most of the members here don't really have minds to begin with!

Old 09-05-2014, 08:53 PM

63 posts, read 87,666 times
I want something walkable, near good public transportation and yeah, which places have the lowest rent in Miami? Don't ask what cheap is to me, I'm asking what are the neighborhoods with the lowest prices in Miami. I was just thinking miami but now I'll take any of the suburbs that are adjacent to miami. And yeah, that aren't dangerous.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:59 PM

600 posts, read 754,589 times
"something walkable, near good public transportation" does not equate to cheap.

This is Miami. Our mass transit here sucks. You're either going to have to pay expensive rent to be able to live in (and be completely confined in (if you don't have a car) South Beach, Brickell, or downtown, which are about the only few places that are walkable and near the Metrorail, or you're going to have to get a car and get used to traffic.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:52 PM

What about wynwood, design district, little Havana, south miami, dadeland? Don't they have a metro rail stop and others have trolley access?

I don't mean being able to walk to the entire city, I mean being able to go grocery shopping, go to library, metro rail, trolley or good bus within walking distance.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sole123 View Post
What about wynwood, design district, little Havana, south miami, dadeland? Don't they have a metro rail stop and others have trolley access?

I don't mean being able to walk to the entire city, I mean being able to go grocery shopping, go to library, metro rail, trolley or good bus within walking distance.
Wynwood and the Design District do not have a Metrorail station. You will need a car to go to those 2 places. Once you're there, the immediate area is walkable. You don't need public transportation to get around once you're there since the area is relatively small.

Little Havana has the Douglas station by US1 and 37th avenue, which is within a drivable, but not really walkable, distance. However, there is not much of interest within walkable distance in the Dougles Station. I don't know why they even have it there.

The only area in Little Havana that is walkable is a small portion of SW 8th Street (Calle Ocho), which has no Metrorail station within walkable distance.

South Miami and Dadeland are walkable and have a Metrorail station. Dadeland has 2 Metrorail stations. However, South Miami only fits this category around the Sunset Place mall. Beyond that, you will need a car.

Don't rely on buses. They typically only arrive like once an hour and are notoriously SLOW and undependable even in the most walkable areas. It will take you about 6 times as long to get from point A to point B taking a bus than it would if you were to just drive there.

If you want to be able to walk to / from the grocery store or the library, etc., I still would recommend South Beach, downtown, or Brickell. However, you will still need to walk quite a bit to get to and from these places. I, personally, will not want to have to carry a few bags of groceries several blocks and then up to a 15th floor apartment. Like I said the buses are really undependable even in the most walkable areas down here. I would rather eat out all the time than have to do that.

Last edited by tankhead; 09-06-2014 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 09-07-2014, 11:56 AM

There's portable portable grocery karts.

There's a trolley in wynwood right?

Well, back to the question, I don't mind walking for like 10 minutes. Right now I just want access to grocery shopping, library, downtown and public transportation within walking distance. What are the lowest cost neighborhoods for that that aren't dangerous.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sole123 View Post
There's portable portable grocery karts.

There's a trolley in wynwood right?

Well, back to the question, I don't mind walking for like 10 minutes. Right now I just want access to grocery shopping, library, downtown and public transportation within walking distance. What are the lowest cost neighborhoods for that that aren't dangerous.
You're right about the portable grocery carts.

Yes, Wynwood does have a trolley, which is basically a nicer looking bus. See below:

The Daily Wood » Miami Trolley Comes To Wynwood

I don't recommend them. They are SLOW and unreliable just like all the other buses in Miami.

As far as the lowest cost walkable options:
Cheapest
South Miami (within the Sunset Place area)
Dadeland (behind Dadeland mall are the cheapest apartments in the area)

Wynwood - The cheapest apartments are going for $1,700 a month for a 652 sf ft 1 bdrm / 1 bathroom
Design District is close to Wynwood; expect to pay about the same

Downtown, Brickell & South Beach - The most expensive

*The rent prices vary depending

Old 09-08-2014, 10:01 AM

564 posts, read 747,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
Yeah, you won't find that anymore unless someone personally owns the place and is giving you a special deal for some reason. Miami's rents just don't go with the wages paid here usually. It think it's especially hard on single people who want to live alone.
Indeed. I'm single and I want to live alone and to find something nice and affordable is basically impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami