Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should it be official?
No 23 71.88%
Yes!! (It makes perfect sense) 8 25.00%
Maybe in the future as Spanish population grows. 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:31 AM

106 posts, read 174,162 times

Advertisements

According to research, in 200, 2/3 (or around 60%) of Miami Dade county spoke Spanish, or were bilingual at home (14 years later it should be way much higher)
Research at the U: Spanish speakers in Miami are decreasing | The Miami Hurricane

We see Spanish banners, and Spanish speakers in masses everywhere, with the highest populated areas in the county (such as Miami city at over 70%, and in West/ Hialeah at over 90%) with the highest concentration/ percentages anywhere in the nation.

Should we make this beautiful - Romanticist language, the first European language in the country and specially the first European language from a former Spanish Empire area such as Florida?

Please be civil or adhere to the consequences, lol jk.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:58 AM

779 posts, read 1,009,838 times
It makes sense in some ways but I also think that it could hinder some growth. I would think that companies trying to do business in Miami would limit the city if Spanish ever became the official language. I know it's already basically that way, but making it official may compound the issue.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:03 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Why does Miami need an official language when the United States doesn't have one?

Miami is already a foreign city inside the US, why does it need to be any more different?

Old 11-19-2014, 05:04 PM

600 posts, read 754,035 times
English is still more widely spoken by a very large margin in Miami than Spanish is.

Most local TV, radio stations, and periodicals are in English as well.

Isn't it contradictory for the OP to post a poll of whether or not Spanish should be the official language here while also posting an article stating a study that indicates that Spanish speakers are decreasing. OP, you answered your own question with your article.

My own opinion is that it is an idiotic idea to make Spanish the official language here. There is absolutely no benefit to it.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:06 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
In Dade county and Miami yes but once you hit Broward and Palm Beach counties you have more Jewish and Italian and Irish transplants from NY, NJ and MA than you do Spanish speaking people.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:29 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,286 times
so were gonna be like Montreal now?

Old 11-19-2014, 05:55 PM

440 posts, read 517,218 times
Default Miami Will See Less Tourism

Considering that most Americans think that people in other countries that serve American tourists should speak English, I'd think that Miami would see a massive drop in English speaking tourists to the area which would cause a big loss of jobs in Miami's economy, which is based on tourism and not manufacturing, if Spanish were to become the official language of Miami. Miami could not depend on tourism from Central and Latin America to keep it's economy going if it lost it's English speaking tourism base since the economies and leadership in those countries have a long history of instability and seem to rise and fall almost as often as the ocean tides do.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:06 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotandHumid View Post
Considering that most Americans think that people in other countries that serve American tourists should speak English, I'd think that Miami would see a massive drop in English speaking tourists to the area which would cause a big loss of jobs in Miami's economy, which is based on tourism and not manufacturing, if Spanish were to become the official language of Miami. Miami could not depend on tourism from Central and Latin America to keep it's economy going if it lost it's English speaking tourism base since the economies and leadership in those countries have a long history of instability and seem to rise and fall almost as often as the ocean tides do.
Actually, international trade and international banking generate more money than tourism.

A good majority of Miami's tourism is comprised on foreigners whose first language is not English.

I don't think the impact would be as bad as you think however I think making Spanish the official language of Miami is a horrible idea.

After all, I go to Rome and Barcelona knowing that English is not the language for either of those cities.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:44 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,003,827 times
Ballots, Government pamphlets, county customer services etc.. is already in three languages.

To make it "official" is just dumb and inefficient. English will but the language of the law, making it the language of business transactions. Not sure what else you would want an "official" language for. You want street signs in Spanish too?

Old 11-20-2014, 06:20 AM

106 posts, read 174,162 times
I suggest creating a Latin American Union, and making Miami the capital of it, working as a semi-autonomous self reliant part of the United States and the simultaneously Latin American Union (LAUN)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami