Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 08:39 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,824,885 times

Advertisements

Sorry this is long.

Okay, so I am really considering a move to Miami in 2016. I work in Marketing with international experience and fluent in Spanish and Portuguese. I am actually Puerto Rican/Portuguese in ethnicity. Currently I live in Chicago where I was raised.

It seems there is a lot more negative views on Miami as a place to live than there are positives based on posters here. I am not expecting to love Miami (not more so than Chicago), but I want something different. I turn 30 this year and my entire life has been in Chicago thus far and I need a change. I love cities that are very dense, urban, cultured and walkable, and I know Miami IS NOT THIS, at least to a certain extent. But that is ok, because that is the whole point to move somewhere different. I am giving that up for some other passions that I think Miami can fill in on.

So here are my likes and passions that I am looking for in Miami:

1. Latin Culture - I love Latin culture, but not all of it. I have passion for the Cuban, Puerto Rican, Colombian, Brazilian, Argentine, Chilean, etc. cultures. I am very much in tune with Caribbean Latin America as well as South America (studied abroad there). Mexico and Central America not so much. I also get along very well with most South Americans specifically Brazilians and Colombians.

2. Beach - While I am sure that after a month or so this might fade after living in Miami, I love the beach! I like to go scuba diving, snorkeling and just be in the water. In Chicago during the summer I go to the beach every weekend and play volleyball. I also hate cold water, which is why California is out of the picture, if I wanted that I would just stay in Chicago. Aside from the beach, I just love the tropical flavor. For example, guava, iguanas and palm trees I love everything about them.

3. International Peeps - I will say it, I sometimes feel I am more from another country than I am American. I find that I get along easier with Latin Americans and Europeans than I do with Americans. So looking for an environment that holds that. I don't know if its because there are so many white sheltered Midwesterners in Chicago but I just don't click with them.

4. Latino Professional Class - I will say in Chicago they exist but it's very small. In the previous ad agency where I was at here in Chicago, we had 220 employees and 5 were latino, 3 black, a few dozen were Asian, and the rest white. In Chicago that Latino professional class is very small and you really really have to look for it.

So with 1-4 you can probably see why I am interested in Miami. Is Miami a good fit for that? So now onto the cons.

1. Traffic - I keep hearing that Miami has terrible traffic. So does Chicago. Would one say they are on par (if you have experienced both)?

2. Rudeness - Ok how rude are people really? I am not the friendliest person on the street. Meaning when I walk down the street I normally don't greet people or really acknowledge them. Of course if they say hello I will say hello back and smile, but I am not all smile and giggles when I am out an about. So I am not the nicest to begin with. Are Miamians just flat out nasty or what is it?

3. Crime - Chicago and Miami have similar crime rates so I think I can handle this.

4. Materialism - Are Miami people really (I know not all) that superficial? I am middle class, and I am not materialistic, although when I do buy things they are really nice. I am more about quality over quantity. I can be a bit snobby, but try not to be. I wonder how bad it really is in Miami? In Chicago this is not a problem.

5. Walkablity - While I know comparing Chicago to Miami in regards to walkablity is a no no, in my recent visit, there seems to be quite a few places that are walkable. I know I will need a car, but places like Coconut Grove, Brickell, Wynwood (to a certain extent) and Little Havana all seem very walkable. As does Miami Beach. It also seems that density and walkablity in Miami continue to improve as the city continues to grow. Is this true? Do you see Miami in 5-10 years because very walkable when neighborhoods like Wynwood and Brickell fully continue to build out? While Chicago is walkable, currently I am living in a neighborhood that is not and you need a car to get around to do anything. I don't love it, but don't despise it. As long as restaurants, the gym groceries, etc., are all within a 5 drive I am ok. I prefer not use a car but a city where that is easy to do in the US well just isn't all that common. I prefer the car free lifestyle, but can handle the car lifestyle as long as I have some places to walk near where I live and driving isn't anything to extensive.

6. Economy - I hear about how bad jobs and wages are. But with someone of my experience in Marketing with Latin American markets and trilingual in English, Spanish and Portuguese do I have anything to worry about?

7. COL - It seems that Chicago and Miami are on par in regards to COL.

Depending on what kind of job I get and the salary, I am looking at places like Wynwood, Edgewater, Brickell, Coconut Grove, Miami Beach and Little Havana.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:45 PM

242 posts, read 346,485 times
The cons override the pros in my view. But you will never know until you pass time there. On the outside it all looks great, but over time you begin to see the way life really is, and for me it was not good.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebn78 View Post
The cons override the pros in my view. But you will never know until you pass time there. On the outside it all looks great, but over time you begin to see the way life really is, and for me it was not good.
What specifically didn't you like? Are there cons I am missing? Is my perspective on the cons on target?

You all have to remember too that I come from a big city with big city problems. So things like crime, traffic, rude people, etc. are things I am used to and don't phase me.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:07 PM

823 posts, read 1,126,304 times
As far as the Latin American culture and predominance in Miami, it seems you would fit right in. I'll tell you what I tell everyone else who wishes to move here, look into the job market first. Good jobs are hard to come by, and generally pay less than the same jobs elsewhere. If you find you're getting job offers and the pay is in a range that you think you can afford to live on, then you can start to think about the other pros and cons of Miami, but without a job lined up, it's pointless to worry about the other stuff.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:23 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
In my opinion there are no pros, only cons. You can get the same climate in many other places in Florida, without the Miami baggage.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
In my opinion there are no pros, only cons. You can get the same climate in many other places in Florida, without the Miami baggage.
Ok but what's that baggage you speak of?

Old 04-12-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
As far as the Latin American culture and predominance in Miami, it seems you would fit right in. I'll tell you what I tell everyone else who wishes to move here, look into the job market first. Good jobs are hard to come by, and generally pay less than the same jobs elsewhere. If you find you're getting job offers and the pay is in a range that you think you can afford to live on, then you can start to think about the other pros and cons of Miami, but without a job lined up, it's pointless to worry about the other stuff.
Gotcha and thanks for the insight. I'm actually already making connections in Miami and have a call with one of Apple's marketing peeps in Miami the leads marketing for them in Latin America.

Yeah Latin America and Europe are my thing culturally. I have considered moved to Brazil, Panama, Argentina and Colombia but the thing is they are too far from my family.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:19 PM

438 posts, read 653,859 times
If you have money...LOTs of it...Miami can be an interesting place to live. Then you can can afford to take or leave as much of it as you want---and its all there. The issue with Miami is that its a medium-sized city with big city problems, and it lacks the infrastructure to support all the growth taking place there. It also has a mix of people from different cultures who aren't particularly fond of one another. And if you're going to be doing any driving there you'd better learn quick how to do so very defensively. Lots of transients, grifters, and plastic people posing on the beaches and in the clubs and cafes. Not such an easy place to make real friends, but great place to party and have fun as long as you don't take the people you meet too seriously. From what you've posted I think you might like it. Why not give it a try? Just make sure that the job you get is paying you at least 80k a year.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:42 AM

1,905 posts, read 2,791,155 times
I like that you come here with an open mind and I think from my opinion one of the biggest cons can be sometimes the government is little corrupt but coming from Chicago it seems like you guys have the same issue. Also speaking of walkability I think your correct in your analysis an that some areas are very dense and walkable especially the closer you get to the downtown which is true anywhere technically. As far jobs Miami has lot of Latin American divisions for companies as for example Microsoft has its division here which provides over 400 jobs and I'm pretty sure they pay nice. So I think you have the advantage of being fluent in Spanish. Chicago traffic is probably worst just population wise it's bigger but I wont dismiss Miami for that either as it has its share. Oh the culture here is very international feeling as people always feel like its not real America but I think that provides a sense of uniqueness for the city.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:55 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
1. Traffic - There is traffic in dense urban environments throughout the world, nothing unique to Miami; in fact, in my experience Miami traffic is below average.

2. Rudeness - Human beings are cantankerous, melancholy creatures throughout the world, nothing unique to Miami.

3. Crime - There is crime wherever there are human beings, nothing unique to Miami.

4. Materialism - Human beings are materialistic creatures throughout the world, nothing unique to Miami.

5. Walkability - It also seems that density and walkablity in Miami continue to improve as the city continues to grow. Is this true? Yes.

Do you see Miami in 5-10 years becoming very walkable when neighborhoods like Wynwood and Brickell fully continue to build out?

No. Maybe 30 or 40? Rome wasn't built in a day. Be patient and become part of the solution.

7. COL - It seems that Chicago and Miami are on par in regards to COL. Yes.

6. Economy - I hear about how bad jobs and wages are. But with someone of my experience in Marketing with Latin American markets and trilingual in English, Spanish and Portuguese do I have anything to worry about?

Yes.

In my view, points 1-4 above are trivial, in the sense that they are nothing unique to Miami, while point 5 is a specific concern, and my impression is that point 6 is your biggest concern.

You seem to imply that you have no already existing social and professional connections with regards to landing gainful employment in Miami. That's a red flag. However, you probably do, perhaps more than you think.

At any rate, you say nothing about what level of wealth you might be able to bring with you to Miami. Another potential red flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
If you have money...LOTs of it...Miami can be an interesting place to live ... From what you've posted I think you might like it. Why not give it a try? Just make sure that the job you get is paying you at least 80k a year.
As JohnD_fla alludes to, money solves many problems (not necessarily the most important ones, but many). Focus on leveraging your experience and personal connections to land gainful employment in Miami, if that is truly your number one goal, then worry about the rest.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 04-13-2015 at 03:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami