Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:45 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,747,624 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine brings his family from small town Alabama to visit family in the Miami area. He asks me why the homes in this area look so run down, with no trees and cars parked all over a dead lawn. His kids laugh at the iron fences, iron bars, and concrete yards painted red. Of course they did notice Coral Gables and said it looked like a town near there own but really laughed when I told them how expensive it is. In my mom's neighborhood only her home has large trees, a green lawn and that neat tidy appearance, along with a handful of others, all elderly residents and non-Hispanic. My friend asks me plainly, does Miami have the ugliest yards in Florida? He says that some of the poorest areas in Al are not as ugly, despite having homes in various states of decay. Oh and he really thought seeing Mackle homes with fake columns, arches and the like is a hoot. Realistically I pointed out that throughout the US, you can tell the wealth of an area by its lot size and tree canopy. Miami is an exception because here bad taste knows no economic boundaries. I seem to get the same questions from every middle class friend I have from other, non bubble areas of the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 08:18 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,512 times
I've been saying this for years,the level of tackiness in Miami homes is off the charts,the Italian columns on homes that have no business having them,10 foot statues,iron bars and fences,paving the front yards and painting them bright orange,etc....For whatever reason they feel it will make their houses look more sophisticated when it just does the opposite.What's scary is you'll find it in tiny homes as well as million dollar homes,bad taste is spread evenly through economic lines.

Old 05-22-2015, 05:38 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
A friend of mine brings his family from small town Alabama to visit family in the Miami area. He asks me why the homes in this area look so run down, with no trees and cars parked all over a dead lawn. His kids laugh at the iron fences, iron bars, and concrete yards painted red. Of course they did notice Coral Gables and said it looked like a town near there own but really laughed when I told them how expensive it is. In my mom's neighborhood only her home has large trees, a green lawn and that neat tidy appearance, along with a handful of others, all elderly residents and non-Hispanic. My friend asks me plainly, does Miami have the ugliest yards in Florida? He says that some of the poorest areas in Al are not as ugly, despite having homes in various states of decay. Oh and he really thought seeing Mackle homes with fake columns, arches and the like is a hoot. Realistically I pointed out that throughout the US, you can tell the wealth of an area by its lot size and tree canopy. Miami is an exception because here bad taste knows no economic boundaries. I seem to get the same questions from every middle class friend I have from other, non bubble areas of the US.
Well they are presently planting 1-million trees in Miami and the poor areas of Miami have some nice kept up homes, especially in Brownsville. Bunche Park is definitely an area that is in need of trees, they have planted Many in the Hialeah area along with new sidewalks. Overtown has been razed somewhat and plans for revitalization.

There is no place that looks like this in Alabama, so send yo frrens back to Alabammy with a banjo on their knees, yeehaaaaawwww !!!!!!

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=5394

Last edited by perry335654; 05-22-2015 at 05:47 PM..

Old 05-22-2015, 05:57 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Really who cares what a family from Alabama thinks of the Miami area and their yards? There are more people in Miami metro area than the entire state of Alabama. As for lot size equating to wealth that is baloney since people in multi- million dollar condos don't have "lot sizes" but I see you need to start another thread bashing Miami & Hispanics as usual. Are you claiming that Hispanics don't keep up their homes with a green lawn and a neat tidy appearance? I'm really surprised you haven't been banned yet.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:09 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Well they are presently planting 1-million trees in Miami and the poor areas of Miami have some nice kept up homes, especially in Brownsville. Bunche Park is definitely an area that is in need of trees, they have planted Many in the Hialeah area along with new sidewalks. Overtown has been razed somewhat and plans for revitalization.

There is no place that looks like this in Alabama, so send yo frrens back to Alabammy with a banjo on their knees, yeehaaaaawwww !!!!!!

SkyscraperCity - View Single Post - Downtown Miami Pictures

At least its English.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Really who cares what a family from Alabama thinks of the Miami area and their yards? There are more people in Miami metro area than the entire state of Alabama. As for lot size equating to wealth that is baloney since people in multi- million dollar condos don't have "lot sizes" but I see you need to start another thread bashing Miami & Hispanics as usual. Are you claiming that Hispanics don't keep up their homes with a green lawn and a neat tidy appearance? I'm really surprised you haven't been banned yet.

Your point is? Is it about quality or quantity? I prefer quality.

Bobdreamz and Perry........................People in Alabama (I know a few, and dated a great girl from Alabama when I was younger) are like North Carolinians in that they will give you the shirt off their backs to help. Is that the case in Miami?

Old 05-22-2015, 06:25 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,940,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post

Bobdreamz and Perry........................People in Alabama (I know a few, and dated a great girl from Alabama when I was younger) are like North Carolinians in that they will give you the shirt off their backs to help. Is that the case in Miami?
I believe you missed the point on both posts as it is about the OP and not people from Alabama, I love southern people by the way as I am a southerner myself. ***MOD CUT***

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-24-2015 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: Off Topic

Old 05-22-2015, 06:53 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,322,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post

If they're like people from North Carolina, that means they stab you in the back, not give you the shirt off theirs.

I think Miami is superior in every quality compared to Alabama, so I would say it's both quantity and quality here.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
If they're like people from North Carolina, that means they stab you in the back, not give you the shirt off theirs.

I think Miami is superior in every quality compared to Alabama, so I would say it's both quantity and quality here.

Yea, just about every category of fraud, Miami comes in at #1. You name it, mortgage fraud, tax fraud, insurance fraud. Oh, and road rage. Always #1.

So yea, quantity and quality definitely.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
I believe you missed the point on both posts as it is about the OP and not people from Alabama, I love southern people by the way as I am a southerner myself.

I think people paving over their grass and painting their slabs in orange deserves some bashing. That is horrible. Cant imagine being in South FL for yrs and yrs and then all of a sudden be surrounded by homes where people have paved over the grass to make one big concrete slab and paint it a bright color - it sounds hideous. I'd be out like a light and head north!

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-24-2015 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Orphaned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami