Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2015, 01:37 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git Her Done View Post
I'm (almost 54 yours young) Retired Pilot and Floridian having lived and passed a lot of time in Miami. Even had family that worked in Dade County LE in the 1950s. Honestly speaking, you all kinda get what you deserve. Miami is a nationally famous zoning and planning nightmare and it will only get worse. All of Florida has learned from Miami to not make that same mistake again even thou many locals felt the Cuban Immigrants had a lot to do with the bad zoning and planning. My family and many of my old friends loved Miami for what it was but that all changed around 1980. By 1990 Miami was pretty much a non American territory. I truly wish I had a solution to Miami's traffic and social problems. We finally decided to move out and north to live around people who respect and value others, people who have common manners and people who trust others and care for others.

There is one important word not in the Miami Dictionary: ASSIMILATION.
ROTFL about the Cuban immigrants being responsible for bad zoning and planning. Considering that initially they lived in Little Havana which is one of the most vibrant medium density communities in Miami-Dade. If anywhere resembles Miami21, it's the stretch from Brickell west across Little Havana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 03:12 PM

301 posts, read 368,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
ROTFL about the Cuban immigrants being responsible for bad zoning and planning.
Since about 1980 the Cubans have controlled most of the Miami area and this includes planning and zoning of roads and highways. You are incompetent or uninformed or both, and I will not respond to you again.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:01 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,940,440 times
Quote:
Since about 1980 the Cubans have controlled most of the Miami area and this includes planning and zoning of roads and highways. You are incompetent or uninformed or both, and I will not respond to you again.
The Cubans built Little Havana. Then they moved on. AMERICANS of Cuban descent, pursuing the American Dream like everybody else, did have much influence throughout Miami-Dade County, but it still doesn't explain Broward County, and indeed most of Florida, which has the same zoning/planning issues and the same traffic woes. If anything, our zoning and planning practices have been distinctly American, not Cuban.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
The Cubans built Little Havana.
Agreed. So what? Little Havana is just a small enclave of mostly non-english speaking Cuban Immigrants who refuse to assimilate in to American culture.

Quote:
They (Cubans) moved on.
Really? Where did they "move on" to? Tampa? NC? Tenn? Jax? Is this a trick comment?

Quote:
AMERICANS of Cuban descent pursuing the American Dream like everybody else did have much influence throughout Miami-Dade County.
Agreed. Some are Americans of Cuban Descent. However, their influence or their third world vision and planning has destroyed most of the roads and highways in Dade County, fact.

Quote:
But it still doesn't explain Broward County and indeed most of Florida, which has the same zoning/planning issues and the same traffic woes.
Dade is the only city/area in all of Florida where planning/zoning/roads/highways are the worst in terms of traffic and design. Broward is a close 2nd only because those immigrants are moving north and congesting the already congested area it is today. Also because Fort Lauderdale for the last 20 years has had horrible corrupt city/county planners. A cesspool if you will of people from all over the world trying to make a big kickback. Mostly greed killed Broward County, not incompetence like what happened in Dade County. Palm Beach County is a completely different animal-PBC truly acted and succeeded in their planning.

Quote:
If anything, our (Miami) zoning and planning practices have been distinctly American, not Cuban.
Completely false. I have no agenda on this Forum except for calling out untruths and incompetence of people like yourself. You and and few others have a real bent motivation to post flat out lies and false information about Miami and I don't know why. Perhaps you work in tourism or some other job that requires you to spread lies. Perhaps your real motivation is to increase the size of your bank account by uninformed and gullible tourists. This is my last response to you. It's so sad reading such bogus information and if the Moderators won't call you on it, then I will. Have a nice day.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:04 PM

289 posts, read 305,146 times
Quote:
Agreed. So what? Little Havana is just a small enclave of mostly non-english speaking Cuban Immigrants who refuse to assimilate in to American culture.

Really? Where did they "move on" to? Tampa? NC? Tenn? Jax? Is this a trick comment?

Agreed. Some are Americans of Cuban Descent. However, their influence or their third world vision and planning has destroyed most of the roads and highways in Dade County, fact.

Dade is the only city/area in all of Florida where planning/zoning/roads/highways are the worst in terms of traffic and design. Broward is a close 2nd only because those immigrants are moving north and congesting the already congested area it is today. Also because Fort Lauderdale for the last 20 years has had horrible corrupt city/county planners. A cesspool if you will of people from all over the world trying to make a big kickback. Mostly greed killed Broward County, not incompetence like what happened in Dade County. Palm Beach County is a completely different animal-PBC truly acted and succeeded in their planning.

Completely false. I have no agenda on this Forum except for calling out untruths and incompetence of people like yourself. You and and few others have a real bent motivation to post flat out lies and false information about Miami and I don't know why. Perhaps you work in tourism or some other job that requires you to spread lies. Perhaps your real motivation is to increase the size of your bank account by uninformed and gullible tourists. This is my last response to you. It's so sad reading such bogus information and if the Moderators won't call you on it, then I will. Have a nice day.
It sounds like your main job on this forum is to be a laughable caricature of an ignorant racist hillbilly from some backwater swamp.

Back to the original point of the thread, most of the issues with traffic in Miami-Dade have little to do with public planning. Most of it is just plain incompetence on the part of drivers. So here are some things I would love for Miami drivers to keep in mind before getting behind the wheel of their 2+ ton metal death machines:

1) The left lane is for passing. It is not for driving under the speed limit in. It is not for sitting in with your hazards on. It is not for crawling along in while you sight see. If cars to your right are moving faster than you, you are in the wrong lane, and you are creating an unsafe driving condition. Move the **** over.

2) Unless specifically noted, the side of the road is not a parking spot. I don't care if you're only stopping for a minute or if you're leaving your car overnight. The driving lane is NOT a parking lot.

3) The speed limit is a recommended maximum safe speed for the road you're on. You don't have to go the speed limit if you don't want to, but if you're driving slower than the posted limit, move over to the right. If you want to drive extra slow for whatever reason, that's fine. Just do it in the right hand lane so people with places to be can still get there.

4) Cars have blind spots. Generally, the blind spot is on the right from about the b-pillar to a couple of feet behind the car. Do not sit in other drivers' blind spots. Just don't. That's a good way to cause an accident. Speed up a little, slow down a little, whatever. Just don't do it.

5) Turn signals are not optional. Turn signals don't require all that much effort. An idiot can figure out how to engage and disengage their turn signals. For ****s sake, use them. If you're too stupid to figure out when and how to use turn signals, you should not be behind the wheel of a car.

6) Get the **** off your phone. Almost every modern car has a hands-free bluetooth system in place. Use it. This one applies especially to people driving 20 year old honda civics and pickup trucks that have more rust holes than doors - it's very obvious that your phone call is not terribly important. I'm sure your hillbilly wife, baby mama, drug dealer, or part time minimum wage job can wait. If it can't wait, and your car doesn't have a hands free system, pull the **** over into a parking lot and THEN take the call.

7) You do not, repeat do NOT, need to slow down to 5 miles per hour to take an on/off ramp. Most off-ramps were designed to be taken at some speed. That speed is usually posted. For on-ramps, you should be accelerating the whole time you are on the on-ramp. By the time you reach the end, you should be going at the same speed as the cars on the highway you're merging in to. You do NOT need to stop at the end of an on-ramp.

8) Please figure out where you need to turn BEFORE you get to the turn. I know occasionally things happen and you might need to make a sharp turn to get to where you're going. Don't. Go to the next uturn, turn around, and try again. Don't cut across three lanes because you didn't realize 71st street comes after 70th street.

9) You can turn right on red. Really, it's ok.

10) If you're turning left across a lane of oncoming traffic, it's ok to pull out to the middle of the intersection so you can complete your turn when the light turns yellow. That way, you don't end up backing up traffic for people who have places to go.

11) This shouldn't need to be said, but unfortunately it seems the drivers in Miami are dumber than average: if it's dark, or if it's raining, or if visibility is in any way impaired, you need to turn on your god damn lights. It's not that hard. If you have difficulty figuring out when lights should be on, just turn them on and leave them on auto.

12) If you feel that you can't safely drive faster than 20 miles per hour, you should not be driving. Stay the **** at home.

These are all very basic pointers, and if you have difficulty following any of them, you really are just better off not getting into a vehicle. Do us all a favor and stop driving.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
It sounds like your main job on this forum is to be a laughable caricature of an ignorant racist hillbilly from some backwater swamp.

Back to the original point of the thread, most of the issues with traffic in Miami-Dade have little to do with public planning. Most of it is just plain incompetence on the part of drivers. So here are some things I would love for Miami drivers to keep in mind before getting behind the wheel of their 2+ ton metal death machines:

1) The left lane is for passing. It is not for driving under the speed limit in. It is not for sitting in with your hazards on. It is not for crawling along in while you sight see. If cars to your right are moving faster than you, you are in the wrong lane, and you are creating an unsafe driving condition. Move the **** over.

2) Unless specifically noted, the side of the road is not a parking spot. I don't care if you're only stopping for a minute or if you're leaving your car overnight. The driving lane is NOT a parking lot.

3) The speed limit is a recommended maximum safe speed for the road you're on. You don't have to go the speed limit if you don't want to, but if you're driving slower than the posted limit, move over to the right. If you want to drive extra slow for whatever reason, that's fine. Just do it in the right hand lane so people with places to be can still get there.

4) Cars have blind spots. Generally, the blind spot is on the right from about the b-pillar to a couple of feet behind the car. Do not sit in other drivers' blind spots. Just don't. That's a good way to cause an accident. Speed up a little, slow down a little, whatever. Just don't do it.

5) Turn signals are not optional. Turn signals don't require all that much effort. An idiot can figure out how to engage and disengage their turn signals. For ****s sake, use them. If you're too stupid to figure out when and how to use turn signals, you should not be behind the wheel of a car.

6) Get the **** off your phone. Almost every modern car has a hands-free bluetooth system in place. Use it. This one applies especially to people driving 20 year old honda civics and pickup trucks that have more rust holes than doors - it's very obvious that your phone call is not terribly important. I'm sure your hillbilly wife, baby mama, drug dealer, or part time minimum wage job can wait. If it can't wait, and your car doesn't have a hands free system, pull the **** over into a parking lot and THEN take the call.

7) You do not, repeat do NOT, need to slow down to 5 miles per hour to take an on/off ramp. Most off-ramps were designed to be taken at some speed. That speed is usually posted. For on-ramps, you should be accelerating the whole time you are on the on-ramp. By the time you reach the end, you should be going at the same speed as the cars on the highway you're merging in to. You do NOT need to stop at the end of an on-ramp.

8) Please figure out where you need to turn BEFORE you get to the turn. I know occasionally things happen and you might need to make a sharp turn to get to where you're going. Don't. Go to the next uturn, turn around, and try again. Don't cut across three lanes because you didn't realize 71st street comes after 70th street.

10) If you're turning left across a lane of oncoming traffic, it's ok to pull out to the middle of the intersection so you can complete your turn when the light turns yellow. That way, you don't end up backing up traffic for people who have places to go.

11) This shouldn't need to be said, but unfortunately it seems the drivers in Miami are dumber than average: if it's dark, or if it's raining, or if visibility is in any way impaired, you need to turn on your god damn lights. It's not that hard. If you have difficulty figuring out when lights should be on, just turn them on and leave them on auto.

12) If you feel that you can't safely drive faster than 20 miles per hour, you should not be driving. Stay the **** at home.

These are all very basic pointers, and if you have difficulty following any of them, you really are just better off not getting into a vehicle. Do us all a favor and stop driving.
Sounds to me like you have anger issues. Please get help. Have a nice day.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:02 PM

1,217 posts, read 1,226,110 times
Quote:

Best post of the day.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:51 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Sounds to me like you have anger issues. Please get help. Have a nice day.
Nevertheless, all valid points.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:19 AM

823 posts, read 1,125,956 times
Quote:

(deleted steps to keep it short)

I would add that if you're making a left turn, try to use an intersection that has a light. Pulling out across the lanes of traffic and blocking them while you wait for an opening on the other side is rude and unacceptable.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:38 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unquiltom View Post
I would add that if you're making a left turn, try to use an intersection that has a light. Pulling out across the lanes of traffic and blocking them while you wait for an opening on the other side is rude and unacceptable.
Not sure about this one. You have to make a left turn when you have to make a left turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami