Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 09:24 AM

57 posts, read 87,110 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm looking at various neighborhoods (e.g. Grove, Brickell, MB, etc) as I will be moving to Miami for a new job in a month.

I'm in my late 30s, male and single. I read from posts dating back to 2007 and most recently 2013, that CoCo Grove is/was in decline.

I had a brief opportunity to drive through the Grove last October and I didn't see 'decline' per se...actually it seemed very nice and chill. But again, it was only a 5 minute drive through the nabe.

Can anyone please opine on the Grove today? What it went through, where it is going, etc? I can't imagine the Ritz Carlton and others building luxury condo/hotels in a dumpy area, so I'm naturally skeptical.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 07:12 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,825,184 times
The residential areas are not really in decline. In fact real estate prices continue to climb and it is one of the more overpriced areas of Miami in my opinion. It is the commercial area that has been in a slight state of decline for some time. It just isn't the place to be like it was 15-20 years ago. I think the reason for this is that you have more choices today than before. You now have Brickell, Wynwood, Midtown and a few others. 15-20 years ago you had mainly South Beach and Coconut Grove.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:09 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothrakirider View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking at various neighborhoods (e.g. Grove, Brickell, MB, etc) as I will be moving to Miami for a new job in a month.

I'm in my late 30s, male and single.I read from posts dating back to 2007 and most recently 2013, that CoCo Grove is/was in decline.

I had a brief opportunity to drive through the Grove last October and I didn't see 'decline' per se...actually it seemed very nice and chill. But again, it was only a 5 minute drive through the nabe.

Can anyone please opine on the Grove today? What it went through, where it is going, etc? I can't imagine the Ritz Carlton and others building luxury condo/hotels in a dumpy area, so I'm naturally skeptical.

Thanks.
The Grove has never been in decline as far as a residential neighborhood. It is one of Miami's premier residential addresses on the bayfront.
Coconut Grove was the artsy bohemian part of Miami back in the 1970's / 1980's when South Beach was declining until it's resurgence in the 1980's.

Many people thought the construction of the CoCoWalk Mall ruined the atmosphere of the Grove's commercial district but it is under new ownership now and here is a link for what is planned in the future :

https://www.bisnow.com/miami/news/re...mras-buy-54303

If you can afford it? The Grove is nice.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:55 PM

874 posts, read 900,465 times
Right now, more people are choosing to live in smaller urban residences than bigger ones further from downtown areas. To me, that means the trend further supports the development of areas like Coconut Grove, Edgewater and Midtown (not much left to build in Brickell).

When choosing where to live, base it on your wants and needs.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:42 AM

39 posts, read 45,387 times
The Grove commercial district is finally coming back....

I went to high school in the grove in the late eighties and it was great. When I returned home from college and even afterwards from California, the grove seemed cheesier and cheesier and was dead compared to the Beach. Even South Miami was more exciting than the Grove for a while.

I think that has changed again. New restaurants are there now, more activity on the street, and just a more vibrant feel. It will never be like the old days with the Taurus, but it is certainly not in decline....

Old 02-01-2016, 01:12 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23windows View Post
The Grove commercial district is finally coming back....

I went to high school in the grove in the late eighties and it was great. When I returned home from college and even afterwards from California, the grove seemed cheesier and cheesier and was dead compared to the Beach. Even South Miami was more exciting than the Grove for a while.

I think that has changed again. New restaurants are there now, more activity on the street, and just a more vibrant feel. It will never be like the old days with the Taurus, but it is certainly not in decline....

I bet the Grove would be a fun place to go to high school. Where in California are you? And would you ever consider a return to Miami?

Old 02-01-2016, 02:18 PM

Interesting question.....

We were in Oakland for 15 years. My kids weren't learning to dive or spearfish...or even run a boat. It was driving me nuts, but my wife wouldn't move back to Miami for a variety of reasons. So, we settled on the Bahamas and now live in Hopetown. Now I am the one who couldn't move back. I would rather be poor here than rich in Miami, but I do love visiting Miami now and its 45 minutes away instead of 6 hours. Its fun to visit Miami like a tourist, we do things that we never did before, like Venetian Pool, renting bikes on South Beach, eating out several nights in a row, etc. We certainly never go to sandy beach anymore, no need to see that coming from the Bahamas.....

If I moved back after the kids were out of high school, I would live in the Grove. If I was there with kids, I would probably be in the Gables or the Beach...

Old 02-01-2016, 02:36 PM

....and as far as residential areas of the Grove, I am partial to the South Grove....

Old 02-01-2016, 02:38 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23windows View Post
Interesting question.....

We were in Oakland for 15 years. My kids weren't learning to dive or spearfish...or even run a boat. It was driving me nuts, but my wife wouldn't move back to Miami for a variety of reasons. So, we settled on the Bahamas and now live in Hopetown. Now I am the one who couldn't move back. I would rather be poor here than rich in Miami, but I do love visiting Miami now and its 45 minutes away instead of 6 hours. Its fun to visit Miami like a tourist, we do things that we never did before, like Venetian Pool, renting bikes on South Beach, eating out several nights in a row, etc. We certainly never go to sandy beach anymore, no need to see that coming from the Bahamas.....

If I moved back after the kids were out of high school, I would live in the Grove. If I was there with kids, I would probably be in the Gables or the Beach...

Thanks for the reply...Hopetown must be nice.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:52 PM

426 posts, read 394,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
The Grove has never been in decline as far as a residential neighborhood. It is one of Miami's premier residential addresses on the bayfront.
Coconut Grove was the artsy bohemian part of Miami back in the 1970's / 1980's when South Beach was declining until it's resurgence in the 1980's.

Many people thought the construction of the CoCoWalk Mall ruined the atmosphere of the Grove's commercial district but it is under new ownership now and here is a link for what is planned in the future :

https://www.bisnow.com/miami/news/re...mras-buy-54303

If you can afford it? The Grove is nice.

The Grove was a lovely place with its head shops, theaters, seaside bars and cafes, hippyish atmosphere, the bounty and adam's apple. The only really livable place near to the sea at that time. The only inconvenience was the hood just besides. The houses are also impressive, home of wild parties at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami