Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 05:35 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,329,467 times

Advertisements

I found that in the US and also in Miami, being "cult" is belonging to some sort of urban tribe, a sect that moves around specific places, people that dress in a certain way, talks in a specific manner. "Cult" people, outside Academia, are found in cultural societies, libraries with magnificent conferences, universities, etc.

Many people that are interested in anything outside sports, etc, are sometimes called crackpots, misticos, etc.

Culture is also very subjective, a poster was talking about Rick Ross and the Futurettes, I don't have the foggiest idea about Rick Ross, American Football, The Heats, etc.

The only people I found that are generally cult, in an European sense, are Jewish people... but the ones I found were recent arrivals, first, second or third generation. I'm talking about WPB, the rest was football.

Last edited by karstic; 09-07-2016 at 06:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 05:39 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
Of course it's true, talk to people in Miami about politics, ethics, finances, world events, it's a blank stare, mention Rick Ross or Future and they go insane. I've met many kids from Boston in Montreal and they know their stuff, i had fun talking to them at conferences about politics and economics. Cities like Montreal and Boston are top 10 world cities for universities and both cities are very intellectual.
You are hanging around the wrong people in the wrong areas.

Old 09-07-2016, 06:06 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,329,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Barbosa View Post
Latinos and books is like saying Cats love to be in the water ... Lol.

Latins ignore what a book is. They use papyrus and parchment scrolls.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:25 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
You are hanging around the wrong people in the wrong areas.
The only place in Miami or near the Miami area where I've had intellectual conversations were at FIU or talking to people who work abroad, that's it. Forget SoBe, Wynwood is just tourists and people who want to be hipsters, or MDC, but hey maybe eventually it'll become intellectual.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:26 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
The only place in Miami or near the Miami area where I've had intellectual conversations were at FIU or talking to people who work abroad, that's it. Forget SoBe, Wynwood is just tourists and people who want to be hipsters, or MDC, but hey maybe eventually it'll become intellectual.
You are making my point. When I was in Boston, I felt nearly the entire city was nothing but tourists and druggies - with a splash of "intellectual" hipsters wandering around here and there.

You would say - Harvard, MIT...... and even in your own comment - FIU.... Are you not seeing that?

I have many friends and we have great political discussions over nice dinners and what not. Meet very smart and intelligent new people all the time. It's the circle of people you are around and the type of places you frequent.

And don't confuse "college smug" for intellectualism...

Old 09-07-2016, 09:38 AM

240 posts, read 262,127 times
Latins never read lol ... Most of you obvious have no clue about Latin culture.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:21 AM

3,198 posts, read 2,659,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
You are making my point. When I was in Boston, I felt nearly the entire city was nothing but tourists and druggies - with a splash of "intellectual" hipsters wandering around here and there.

You would say - Harvard, MIT...... and even in your own comment - FIU.... Are you not seeing that?

I have many friends and we have great political discussions over nice dinners and what not. Meet very smart and intelligent new people all the time. It's the circle of people you are around and the type of places you frequent.

And don't confuse "college smug" for intellectualism...
Never gone to Boston, but even non university kids from there have an idea of whats going around the world, and aren't as ignorant as people from Miami. From what I've gathered from friends/business people i know who visit Boston, all I've heard was clean, smart city, but the people are a bit pretentious, and the irony you think Boston is nothing but tourists and druggies when Miami is basically tourists, druggies and homeless people

Old 09-07-2016, 10:38 AM

7,410 posts, read 6,553,115 times
Is Miami as intellectual a city as NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, etc?....of course not.
Are there no intellectual people in Miami--either natives or transplants?....of course not.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:18 PM

874 posts, read 900,101 times
Remember that we have intellectuals in multiple languages here.

Almost everyone here can engage in a robust discussion of one country's politics outside the United States (Cuba, Venezuela, Brazil, etc.)

They probably have read the literature of their respective countries, but may not be familiar with the "Classics". Have you read Pablo Neruda? Julia Alvarez? preferably in their original words?

I routinely get into pretty deep discussions here, but that reflects the pretty intellectual crowd I hang around with, and the fact that I will discuss how evil Castro is/was with random people while walking the dog.

But the tourists aren't coming to get into a deep discussion with you... if you want to engage intellectually, stay away from the beaches and nightclubs, go talk to the regular guy on the street.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:24 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuito View Post
Yes, apples and avocados, although Boston and Washington D.C. have nice springs and summers the rest of the year is more of an indoors environment, while Miami and surrounding areas are definitely an outdoors environment all year round, and of course you can bring a book, NOOK, Kindle, etc. to the beach but there may be more of a walk around, lounge, watch people, be watched attitude.
Yet we have a beautiful art centers, Adrienne Arsht, New World Symphony, Miami-Dade College facilities all over. And yep, places for wine and books right on Calle Ocho (OK, BNBR it is South West 8th Street) or, anyone tried Cafe at Books & Books?
Haha. I spent a lot of my time living in Miami under the comfort of an air conditioner. If I lived in Boston my ass would be outside a hell of a lot more than in South Florida or Texas, especially during fall. Hot weather is so overrated. Being outside outside in October in 90 degree humid weather made me miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami