Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 05:18 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
I wouldn't care about Spirit comments. My brother always use it. Last time he was precisely to Medellín, and he never have had any problems besides that is SUPER cheap now. Miami/F. Lauderdale is $139 round trip!!!! it's even cheaper than going to NY. Medellín btw, is beautiful now. Full of tourists from around the world. He hired an airbnb house in a nice neighborhood and was fall in love. Now he wants to move there after asking permission in his job to work as a satelite there and work from the computer. I've seen this tendency lately.
You wouldn't care about the Spirit comments? Even people who have flown Spirit and said "Never again, I'll pay whatever the other airlines want, I'm not getting on Spirit again"....

Just for fun, I did a Spirit vs. JetBlue comparison to Medellin. Same dates. Here is the results below. JetBlue "appears" to be $50 more. And for $50, I'd still fly JetBlue all day, every day, over Spirit. You get a seat that reclines and satellite TV, plus more legroom, snacks and beverages, checked and carryon bag included. But that's Spirits "BARE FARE" below - mind you.

Add a checked bag OR carryon... in essence, if you bring clothes with you on your trip.... $25 more. So now it's just a $25 difference. Want to select your seat so you don't get stuck in a middle, on Spirit's cramped airline.... around $25+. So now it's the same price, but wait, there's more. Want beverages and snacks? JetBlue - free. Spirit - pay. Now JetBlue is cheaper and all we did was select our seats and bring clothes with us on our trip, plus enjoyed a snack.

I don't know why people pile in to Spirit planes. They are horrendous and don't really save you anything (usually).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 09:08 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
I did the comparison as well...the ONE thing Spirit does have in its advantage over JB and AA is the schedule--you arrive in MDE earlier in the day and you leave later in the day (no late evening arrivals/departures and/or late night/redeye arrivals/departures).

Old 09-15-2016, 06:58 PM

92 posts, read 111,859 times
The Schedule is best on spirit,and if you are a fat big gringo,they will always slag off spirit.....

Old 09-16-2016, 09:32 AM

798 posts, read 1,460,907 times
Just make sure don't use Miami airport. Not long time ago a camera frisked airport employees searching into luggage stealing. It was a Cuban ring that was dismantled successfully but who knows.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:40 AM

798 posts, read 1,460,907 times
Default ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
You wouldn't care about the Spirit comments? Even people who have flown Spirit and said "Never again, I'll pay whatever the other airlines want, I'm not getting on Spirit again"....

Just for fun, I did a Spirit vs. JetBlue comparison to Medellin. Same dates. Here is the results below. JetBlue "appears" to be $50 more. And for $50, I'd still fly JetBlue all day, every day, over Spirit. You get a seat that reclines and satellite TV, plus more legroom, snacks and beverages, checked and carryon bag included. But that's Spirits "BARE FARE" below - mind you.

Add a checked bag OR carryon... in essence, if you bring clothes with you on your trip.... $25 more. So now it's just a $25 difference. Want to select your seat so you don't get stuck in a middle, on Spirit's cramped airline.... around $25+. So now it's the same price, but wait, there's more. Want beverages and snacks? JetBlue - free. Spirit - pay. Now JetBlue is cheaper and all we did was select our seats and bring clothes with us on our trip, plus enjoyed a snack.

I don't know why people pile in to Spirit planes. They are horrendous and don't really save you anything (usually).

At the end of the day is about the money. I would justify paying a expensive long trip let's say 7 hours to Europe. But it's only 2:30 - 3:00 hours! I mean, who cares about snacks, tv etc. Now cell phones are allowed to use so you even wouldn't try all the amenities.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:36 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,636,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
At the end of the day is about the money. I would justify paying a expensive long trip let's say 7 hours to Europe. But it's only 2:30 - 3:00 hours! I mean, who cares about snacks, tv etc. Now cell phones are allowed to use so you even wouldn't try all the amenities.
But if you look at my post again, it's the same price once you factor in bringing ANY sort of bag (which includes a carryon) and selecting your seat. If you don't mind sitting in a non-reclining, tiny middle seat with no leg room, more power to ya.

I'd pay $50 for 6 hours of comfort (3 hours round trip). Well worth it to me. Personally, I only fly first and business, comfort is important to me. But even in this case, It's the SAME PRICE, so why not pick the better airline?

However, if scheduling is the deal breaker, so be it.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:43 AM

2,123 posts, read 1,795,253 times
Don't forget to factor in $2 to $10 for printing your boarding pass if you won't have access to one while away from home. As others have mentioned, the seats don't recline but what is worse is that they have the have the least leg room of any carrier so even if you never have a problem on most airlines, you may find that Spirit is more uncomfortable in that regard.

Personally, I don't I would fly them again even if adding in all the "frills" still makes them cheaper than another airline. I think the last straw might have been the seat pitch, I recently flew Wow airlines, which has a similar fee structure to Spirit, from Baltimore to Iceland and found that to be a tolerable experience that I would be willing to do again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: