Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:13 AM

18 posts, read 76,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I agree, except I haven't seen bars on the windows in Hollywood except on some of the businesses towards downtown . Plus Homestead has a higher rate of robbery than Hialeah has of burglary...and burglary is one of the most common crimes there is, robbery is not. That means I actually stand a significant chance of getting mugged in Homestead !

And when I said third world, I wasn't referring to the Mexicans (I honestly could care less about the origin of the people there or anywhere or I would of just moved to the woods by now like some of you need to), I was referring just to the general aura. Theres something in the air out there.

Yes, Florida city or downtown homestead.. people here don't even know if this is part of homstead or florida city... from north going south From us1 to your righ (west) that par is not that great, and that's where your feeling of old town comes from and most of the lands for agriculture (and some million dollar houses)

On your East side its a totally different story lots of houses, really nice houses! New Hostipal, lost of restaurants, nice and good schools, movie theather, etc. (exit 6,5,2 from the turnpike)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 02:23 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
To the OP -
First I wouldn't raise children in South Florida period. But if I was forced too or had no choice but too, I wouldn't live in Homestead. Moderator cut: Deleted I was in Homestead/Florida City today, its getting better with new restaurants a new movie theater. There still isn't a mall (I don't count Prime Outlets in Florida City, there isn't much there). But when they do put a mall in, it will not be great as the cliental that will service those stores will not want those higher end nicer stores. It will be like Southland Mall (aka Cutler Ridge Mall).

Why not get something smaller in a nicer area maybe. Have you looked at other parts of Florida as you can get more for your money in the other cities in Florida than South Florida (Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade).

Last edited by doggiebus; 11-14-2009 at 03:41 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 02:47 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,053,741 times
My ex-wife used to work at Laura Saunders elementary in Florida City...I used to visit her often over there. All the kids were always sick....some never brushed their teeth and had rotting/decaying teeth. The surrounding area itself was a major drug gang land area....I was ALWAYS fearful for my ex-wife and that's why I frequently visited her to walk her to her car after school was over. I'm glad she is out of there....last I heard she was teaching at Coral Reef Elementary...NIGHT AND DAY difference.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:17 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
This is not 1950, 1960, 1970 or even 1980 anymore. Homestead began a downhill trend after the 1992 hurricane Andrew exodus. The quality of residents took a nosedive afterwards. The closure of the air force base eliminated a local source of revenue. Rif-raf from the Miami area filled the void and has reduced the available open space. In the last few years opportunistic developers have replaced tomato fields with crappy zero-lot line stuff that's madly overpriced. Homestead has no economic engine. It's not worth living there in my opinion unless you can find a deal on a home on 1+ acres.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 AM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Homestead is crap

Old 02-29-2008, 01:16 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,684,083 times
I am just so sad to hear what a hole Homestead has become. I grew up there and Cutler Ridge in the 70's and early 80's and I loved it. I remember going to the movies back when the mall was just a strip mall and a Sears I think. Hung out at the mall once it opened and had a blast. Such a shame. I live in Tampa now for the past eleven years and get nostalgic for my old hometown and come to find out it is hell.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,588 times
I am in the military and will be stationed at Homestead ARB. I am married with three children and also looking for a nice place to live. I am very protective of my family and want a very good neighborhood to live. Anyone knows any nice places to live? Thanks.

Old 11-14-2009, 12:52 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank0870 View Post
I am in the military and will be stationed at Homestead ARB. I am married with three children and also looking for a nice place to live. I am very protective of my family and want a very good neighborhood to live. Anyone knows any nice places to live? Thanks.
The nicest areas of Homestead are:
1) East of the Turnpike, especially Keys Gate. The school in Keys Gate is very well-regarded.
2) The area west of US1 and north of SW 296th St.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:31 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times
Wow! How many of you posters have ever lived in Homestead??? I've been here since 1978. I love it down here. I've never been mugged, I've never felt frightened, I love the country feel down here. I love the closeness to the Everglades and Biscayne National Parks. I love the ag. area just north and west of Homestead city limits. I live in the older part of Homestead, between S.W. 296 Street and 304 street, near Krome Avenue, This is the original older, great part of town. No cookie cutter houses, good sized lots, well maintained landscapes. Heck, it is a breeze to get on the turnpike and head north to other areas in Miami-Dade for work or for shopping. We now 3 Publix, 2 Home Depots, BJ's, Walmart (eek), a huge shopping area near the new hospital. Did I mention great Mexican, Nicaraguan, Cuban restaurants..... It isn't a "hole" at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-14-2009, 07:15 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
^^^I lived in the Redlands close enough to Homestead. Its changed a lot for the better the last 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami