Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2016, 03:15 PM

343 posts, read 615,601 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

planning a tourist trip to miami, first time. I understand south beach is the most popular tourist area however i am confused where exactly is the center of south beach.

From most website it said it's the most southern tip (where joe stone crab restaurant is located). Yet other site said it's washington street which is way north from there.

when i google street view washington street it does seem to have a lot of stores and restaurants.

I have a few elderly family members traveling with me so want to book a hotel directly at the most center (or rather most popular) area of south beach, so they can just walk around a bit close to the hotel without having to go too far or needing me to drive them.

Thank you for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 03:54 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
Loews, Z Ocean, and Royal Palm might be the most central areas for you to stay.....puts you right near Lincoln Road Mall, Ocean Drive, and Espanola Way....all 3 are beachfront hotels....either way, most places are relatively close and a short and inexpensive Uber or taxi ride away.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:16 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
Washington Avenue runs north and south, Streets run east and west. With that said if you stay between 5th and 20th street and east of Washington Ave, you will be in the heart of South Beach. Between 16th and 17th Street is Lincoln Road which has lots of restaurants and shops. The iconic Miami Beach area is on Ocean Drive between 5th and 15th Street. Do a Google search of South Beach and you'll be able to get your bearings of where things are in comparison to the hotels you might stay at.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:42 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,329,175 times
I would go with one of the hotels between 15th and 18th streets. While Ocean Drive is certainly not to be missed for a first time visitor, the scene will be exactly what you don't want- party hard, in your face.

The hotels on the ocean between 15th and 18th are mostly bigger properties with more upscale clientele, as is Lincoln Road.

Z Ocean is an option, but I think you would like the actual beachfront options. Il Villagio is in front of Z Ocean. The Betsy is another option, but they have construction going on, and personally I feel like they rest on a bit of a reputation- the quality isn't always there.

There is a free shuttle service throughout South Beach, Freebee which picks you up and drops you off wherever you want, but it is loud- they pump the music up! Again, free though.

There's also a free trolley that runs, but it most likely wouldn't help you. The routes of interest would be Alton-West, and Middle Beach, Transportation @ City of Miami Beach

Another option is the South Beach Local, only 25 cents a ride: Visitors Portal @ City of Miami Beach

No matter where you choose to stay (from South Pointe Drive in the south, to 24th Street in the north) you'll be able to see all the attractions over a few days without trouble. South Beach is very compact, and very easy to get around. If you're renting a car, I would seriously reconsider. The only time you'll use it is going from the airport to the beach (and there's a very easy bus for that with luggage racks on it- the Airport Flyer) and going back to the airport. The rest of the time it'll be faster to get a ride through another medium than get the car, drive to where you're going, park the car, etc. Also, parking is not cheap in South Beach. At a hotel you're easily looking at $40 per night.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:51 PM

343 posts, read 615,601 times
thank you all. I ended up booking national hotel on 17th and collins ave, seem to be close to the shops everyone described and also has access to beach - best of both. I think the older folks will enjoy lincoln road more than ocean drive.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:52 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,329,175 times
Very good choice, you should enjoy the National and the location. Definitely do check out Ocean Drive, but stick to the Lummus Park side sidewalk, so you're not harassed by the restaurant hosts and you don't have to dodge the throngs of people.

Have a great trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami