Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 12:11 PM

66 posts, read 66,493 times

Advertisements

So, our beautiful and sunny Miami, with the total respect and exception to us the ones that actually took driving lessons, respect the law, etc... Why the majority of drivers in Miami drive so f*** bad? I mean, look, this is how it shocked me:

I was helping a friend doing a demos from his companies in north Florida. My friend hates to drive in car, so I gladly helped him driving from Miami to Tallahassee ( we went to Pensacola, Gainsville, Tampa, Orlando, you name it). The interstate was a pleasant road to drive, until we were reaching Miami area. Man... that is when the sh** hit the fan, people were crazy, reckless, stupid, rude. In a few words, a real pain in the butt.

So, hey. Why the hell do the most of people in Miami drive like monkeys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 02:49 PM

604 posts, read 618,437 times
I have some theories.

1) When you drive in a foreign city, you will realize that drivers do certain unusual things. Go to another city and you will see a different set of crazy stuff. Local people expect these things to happen. However when you mix drivers from all over the world in one city, you don't know what to expect anymore.

2) Contrary to the popular belief, third world public transportation actually gets you to places. It might be uncomfortable, dangerous and/or dirty, but that chaos is actually the free market solution at work. In Miami, people that was not used to drive in their own countries, realize that a car might be more efficient and even economical for them. So you get thousands of late learners on the road, that somehow get a DL.

3) FL driving tests are a joke.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:12 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
I have some theories.

1) When you drive in a foreign city, you will realize that drivers do certain unusual things. Go to another city and you will see a different set of crazy stuff. Local people expect these things to happen. However when you mix drivers from all over the world in one city, you don't know what to expect anymore.

2) Contrary to the popular belief, third world public transportation actually gets you to places. It might be uncomfortable, dangerous and/or dirty, but that chaos is actually the free market solution at work. In Miami, people that was not used to drive in their own countries, realize that a car might be more efficient and even economical for them. So you get thousands of late learners on the road, that somehow get a DL.

3) FL driving tests are a joke.

Hey guess what, many of the bad drivers in Miami... are also American. Its not just immigrants.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:19 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Idk but Southerners suck at driving in general. Florida and Louisiana are in my opinion, the worst driving states. I've heard bad things about the Northeast but I've never been there myself so I can't say but South Florida and South Louisiana are hell holes to drive in. Kansas and Iowa are the best in my experience.

I grew up in Miami and learnt to drive there and I never considered myself a bad driver until I moved to Texas lol but I told my partner, "hey you think I'm bad, I'm better than many people in Miami," and he said "I doubt it," and then we visited and he said "You know, what, you're right. People here are worse than you and that's saying something!" Lol. I guess its how we learn? I do pretty bad stuff on the road sometimes, I admit. I've accidentally cut people off once or eight times, I can be a little jerky when switching lanes and can make very erratic turns, but at least I use my blinkers, don't honk for every little thing and I don't talk or text while I drive.

One of the people who taught me how to drive was my grandma and lord that woman has no mercy on the road (which is ironic, as that's her name) she drives like a maniac!

Its a huge irony though because Miami has some of the best road conditions, the easiest road system to drive on (flat, grid system) and never has ice on the roads and we still crank out awful drivers. I think you need some tougher road conditions to make you a better driver, honestly.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:23 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
All over Florida the brake lights serve as the vehicles turn signals!

Old 12-01-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Idk but Southerners suck at driving in general. Florida and Louisiana are in my opinion, the worst driving states. I've heard bad things about the Northeast but I've never been there myself so I can't say but South Florida and South Louisiana are hell holes to drive in. Kansas and Iowa are the best in my experience.

I grew up in Miami and learnt to drive there and I never considered myself a bad driver until I moved to Texas lol but I told my partner, "hey you think I'm bad, I'm better than many people in Miami," and he said "I doubt it," and then we visited and he said "You know, what, you're right. People here are worse than you and that's saying something!" Lol. I guess its how we learn? I do pretty bad stuff on the road sometimes, I admit. I've accidentally cut people off once or eight times, I can be a little jerky when switching lanes and can make very erratic turns, but at least I use my blinkers, don't honk for every little thing and I don't talk or text while I drive.

One of the people who taught me how to drive was my grandma and lord that woman has no mercy on the road (which is ironic, as that's her name) she drives like a maniac!

Its a huge irony though because Miami has some of the best road conditions, the easiest road system to drive on (flat, grid system) and never has ice on the roads and we still crank out awful drivers. I think you need some tougher road conditions to make you a better driver, honestly.
I feel you. People like us wants to respect the law of transit, give the right of way and all that stuff, but you JUST need to get along with already well-known "Miami-Driving"

Old 12-01-2016, 04:42 PM

253 posts, read 434,368 times
Aggressive drivers are stupid drivers and Miami has an exponentially higher percentage than most areas. That's the way I would summarize. It never changes and it's always startling upon comparison.

Last Saturday I returned from a 17 day trip out of state. It was incredibly relaxing until I returned to South Florida, and the darting lane changing reappeared. You can almost pinpoint the exact mile marker to expect it.

Those drivers have no comprehension of math or angles or all the problems they cause. As long as they make it through that tiny window it's all good. They can tunnel vision the next weaving instant lane change 20 yards ahead.

My absolute favorite is when those geniuses are stuck in a traffic jam, like on the freeway when all lanes are bottled up and going nowhere, due to an accident no doubt caused by a fellow aggressive driving moron. Instead of patiently waiting it out they weave left, right, left, center, right, center, left and every combination of those, always desperate to gain an extra foot or two. At least they keep me entertained in that environment.

I can't imagine going through life with that mindset, because it attaches to so many other aspects. Scary.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
Aggressive drivers are stupid drivers and Miami has an exponentially higher percentage than most areas. That's the way I would summarize. It never changes and it's always startling upon comparison.

Last Saturday I returned from a 17 day trip out of state. It was incredibly relaxing until I returned to South Florida, and the darting lane changing reappeared. You can almost pinpoint the exact mile marker to expect it.

Those drivers have no comprehension of math or angles or all the problems they cause. As long as they make it through that tiny window it's all good. They can tunnel vision the next weaving instant lane change 20 yards ahead.

My absolute favorite is when those geniuses are stuck in a traffic jam, like on the freeway when all lanes are bottled up and going nowhere, due to an accident no doubt caused by a fellow aggressive driving moron. Instead of patiently waiting it out they weave left, right, left, center, right, center, left and every combination of those, always desperate to gain an extra foot or two. At least they keep me entertained in that environment.

I can't imagine going through life with that mindset, because it attaches to so many other aspects. Scary.
1) Exactly, as far as I can remember is after Hallandale or even a bit after.

2) Every blanking time in Hialeah.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:24 PM

798 posts, read 1,460,434 times
Because majority of ppl that come from neighbor countries never have had any car in their life. Newcomers have a terribly driver etiquette class conscious. They have any class and everyone's conscious of it.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
Because majority of ppl that come from neighbor countries never have had any car in their life. Newcomers have a terribly driver etiquette class conscious. They have any class and everyone's conscious of it.
That is in an essence true. But there is a vast majority of other people from Latin America that had a really good social status in their countries and had various cars (but still drive like crazy). Do you know how the ppl from Venezuela get their Driver License?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami