Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 47,730 times

Advertisements

I travel a lot to South Florida for work. What are the "dangerous" areas I should avoid in and around Miami? Fort Lauderdale?

Thanks!
TK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 11:54 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK321 View Post
I travel a lot to South Florida for work. What are the "dangerous" areas I should avoid in and around Miami? Fort Lauderdale?

Thanks!
TK
Broward: Lauderhill, Plantation and some parts of Hollywood.

Miami-Dade: Liberty City, Overtown, Northside, Carol City, Opalocka, Little Haiti and Cutler Ridge.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:53 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post

Miami-Dade: Liberty City, Overtown, Northside, Carol City, Opalocka, Little Haiti and Cutler Ridge.

PLANTATION??????? I don't think so. Plantation is really nice.

How about parts of Deerfield Beach, Pompano, North Lauderdale, Lauderhill, Oakland Park????

Old 02-28-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
PLANTATION??????? I don't think so. Plantation is really nice.
Broward Blvd area in Plantation not all of it.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:02 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,454,477 times
West Coconut Grove and Goulds

Old 02-28-2008, 04:48 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,897,443 times
Quote:
Why do people in Palm Beach County think Plantation is a dangerous area? I have noticed that more than once. Even my family up there didn't even know Plantation was actually nice and kind of upscale until I drove them around. They really thought the only decent areas were Weston and Parkland. I think they are only familiar with it from a S.R.7/Broward Blvd (East of Turnpike, not west) approach perhaps. Anyway, I have nothing better to do (Again) so let me make a map...it only takes a minute or so on MS Paint.

Ok, I whipped this up quickly, but I its pretty accurate, however I accept no responsibility if I mislabel a place and you go there and get robbed, and I might have mislabeled some places. North Browrad later (maybe). I know I did indeed miss some spots here and there (mostly of good areas labeling them as ugly or bad). Red is brown, Brown is not really that bad but ugly, light green is fine, but maybe too close for comfort, and dark green is good. Any combination of the two is..well..a combination.
Attached Thumbnails
Dangerous areas?-south-broward_map_2.gif  

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-28-2008 at 05:28 PM..

Old 02-29-2008, 07:19 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Broward Blvd area in Plantation not all of it.
Broward and where? I used to live Plantation (Broward and Nob Hill area) and it wasn't just nice there, it was REALLY nice. I currently live in Weston and wouldn't hesitate to live in 95% of Plantation. There are a few dicey neighborhoods WAY east in Plantation, on the border of Fort Lauderdale that might be dicey, but Plantation is getting a bad rep on this board for no real reason.

When someone is asking for help telling them that Plantation is dangerous but not mentioning Pompano is not really helping them.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Broward and where?
He is probably talking about that little tiny sliver near Melrose Park (which IS bad), but for some reason people in PBC think Plantation is bad, lol. Including my own family. When I moved to Weston they were saying "oh, isn't that close to Plantation?" like it's Gotham City or something. Then I drove them around...they said "This looks like Boca Raton with trees...".

Old 02-29-2008, 09:35 AM

Area between the Turnpike and 95, places tourist tend to get lost in, drive down MLK Ave sometime late at night. OP is not a resident so getting lost in these areas may be not so good.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Area between the Turnpike and 95, places tourist tend to get lost in, drive down MLK Ave sometime late at night. OP is not a resident so getting lost in these areas may be not so good.
That's not Plantation, in fact that's pretty far from Plantation. That's the armpit of western Fort Lauderdale, and the areas your thinking of are closer to Sunrise Blvd near swap shop. Along Broward Blvd they have been tearing up a lot of the crap until 95 where you pretty much can't, although notice I marked that whole area in red marks. I need to make a north Broward map too since the the #1 area you really need to avoid are these pockets of Pompano. Even in that area along Broward Blvd, you aren't going to have to be scared IN YOUR CAR until you turn into some of the neighborhoods or literally turn on MLK. Then you better be scared! Along Sunrise Blvd is much worse and you pretty much have no reason to be there unless you are going to Swap Shop or buying drugs day or night...and Sistrunk is worse than all of those.

And it doesn't exactly pop out at you out of nowhere. There is a "gradual" transition to where any reasonably sensible person should know to turn around, and it's not exactly Liberty City or Riviera Beach. Even if you don't turn around, you keep on driving east and you are out again in 5 minutes into a better part of Ft. Lauderdale where you can at least get out of your car and get directions. The really bad places where you can get very lost are mostly in Pompano. Even there it's still not Liberty City but I say stay out of that city all together as there is nothing to see, even their beach sucks.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-29-2008 at 09:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami