Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 08:05 AM

52 posts, read 118,973 times

Advertisements

After a long and exhausting home search my wife and I have decided that Miami Springs is probably our best option. We originally rulled out Miami Shores, Biscayne Park, El Portal, Upper eastside neighborhoods because of budget and safety concerns. We then looked in Shenandoah/Silver Bluff but prices have sky rocketed there and we have concerns about City of Miami government and zoning. Any reasons for or against the Springs. She works in Miami Shores and would it would be a relatively short commute from the 112. I currently work in the Kendall area but likely to transfer further east with the County. Out budget is 400k. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 10:46 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,354,286 times
Springs is nice as we dicussed earlier. Its central to the airport and various expressways. You have to commute everywhere and traffic gets pretty backed up at 5pm on the 112 as well as i-95 in the morning. But overall its not a bad commute.

The areas around it are just 'so-so' which is the issue people have with spending $600k-$750k in Miami Shores. However some would argue the 'community' of Miami Shores is much better.

$400k in the Springs will get you the same type of home that you'd get in Biscayne Park and that would keep you out of the good parts of Miami Shores anyways.

Otherwise, wait for a good deal in Shenandoah. That area is more central to a lot of the fun stuff to do in Miami and places to go. (Key Biscayne, Gables, Grove, Brickell, etc.)

Regarding the Upper East side, you'd be waiting a few years til it gets nicer. Right now, its still pretty sketchy at night.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:12 PM

874 posts, read 899,435 times
The only challenge with the Springs is a lack of inventory... partly because people who move to Miami Springs never seem to want to sell.

If the place has a crawl space/wood floors, probably best to include a structural inspection when you're buying.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:15 AM

1,049 posts, read 960,109 times
Miami Springs is a fine alternative to the neighborhoods you mentioned, and will provide a little more general safety. The only drawback I think is the proximity to the airport, but then again, that might also be a positive if you travel a lot.

You can't really go wrong with Miami Springs, but as Marc said, if you can score a house in Shenandoah for the same price it might be wise to go for it because it will certainly appreciate more over time.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:03 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,328,224 times
Miami Springs sounds like some sort of perfumed Hialeah.
Shenandoah is Little Havana, if I were to live in a walkable, urban area, Shenandoah..but somebody pointed to zoning issues. The City of Miami is interersted in building apartments in all historial Little Havana.
It would be sad, as Shenandoah is a century old.

Last edited by karstic; 04-27-2017 at 05:22 AM..

Old 04-27-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karstic View Post
The City of Miami is interersted in building apartments in all historial Little Havana.
It would be sad, as Shenandoah is a century old.
Shenandoah is further south towards US-1. The little havana area they want to redevelopment is the Flagler street area and immediate streets north & south.

I would do Shenandoah over Miami Springs simply for the ease of getting around. Miami Springs is more locked by the bad traffic around the Dolphin Expressway. Its very nice if you want to play a lot of golf in Doral or fly in & out of MIA often.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:02 PM

874 posts, read 899,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Shenandoah is further south towards US-1. The little havana area they want to redevelopment is the Flagler street area and immediate streets north & south.

I would do Shenandoah over Miami Springs simply for the ease of getting around. Miami Springs is more locked by the bad traffic around the Dolphin Expressway. Its very nice if you want to play a lot of golf in Doral or fly in & out of MIA often.
Marc Miami Springs actually isn't all that close to the Dolphin expressway. The airport expressway brings you right to the beach or downtown, and is one of the better roads in Miami.

I'm a big fan of Miami Springs, and was there for their River cities festival recently. But it's a place to chill, not to party.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:33 AM

52 posts, read 118,973 times
Does anybody know if Shenandoah is a safe area in comparison to Miami Springs?

Old 04-28-2017, 09:40 AM

1,049 posts, read 960,109 times
Miami Springs is safer. Shenandoah is close to the US-1 corridor, downtown, Little Havana and Coconut Grove. It's a more condensed area and therefore will see more crime. But it's not a dangerous area or anything, just more likely to experience crime there than Miami Springs.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
Marc Miami Springs actually isn't all that close to the Dolphin expressway. The airport expressway brings you right to the beach or downtown, and is one of the better roads in Miami.
Seriously? You make a left on on 36th St (Or a right on Okeechobee) and then turn on 42nd and in a few red lights you are on the Dolphin. (3.5-4.0 Miles, 10-14 min drive)

Sure the 112 is great to go to the beach, it also gets backed up after 4PM coming from the beach to get home. I worked in Doral for years from the Beach, I did that drive all the time.

Miami Springs is a nice little neighborhood, but again, there's nothing 'to do'. You'll end up Doral/Hialeah/Beach most of your time. That's why Shenandoah is better for quality of life aspects. Sure Miami Springs would be a 'safer' choice but the prices are going to be the same for a 3/2+ single family. And appreciation potential is much greater with Shenandoah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami