Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:02 PM

34 posts, read 140,040 times

Advertisements

What are Miami Springs, Miami Lakes, and Miami Shores like? Which one is the safest, has the most to do, and is the overall best in your opinon? thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:18 PM

763 posts, read 3,520,486 times
All three areas are safe, family-oriented, and mostly olders single-family homes (Miami Lakes is much newer though).

Miami Shores is minutes from Downtown Miami, and very close to the Design District, Aventura, Midtown and the beaches. Really nice older homes, quiet, laid-back. Good private schools, decent public schools. Safe, but close to El Portal which is pretty sketchy.

Miami Lakes is the newest of the three communities, and it has a really nice Main Street with shops, restaurants and the such. As a western suburb though, it's far from Downtown, South Beach, Midtown, and all the neighborhoods east of it that are really popular. Miami Lakes is busier than Miami Shores or Springs, but still very safe.

Miami Shores is quiet, very safe, clean, older homes, lots of parks, trees, etc. Miami Shores also has good public schools and is close to MIA and Doral. I prefer Miami Shores over Miami Lakes.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:26 PM

Does Miami Shores have its own beach? I'm pretty sure it doesn't but just wondering

Old 04-10-2009, 09:34 PM

763 posts, read 3,520,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLover View Post
Does Miami Shores have its own beach? I'm pretty sure it doesn't but just wondering
No. It's not on the ocean, it's on Biscayne Bay. Either way, it has no beaches, but you're 5-10 minutes from the beach max via the Broad Causeway or the 79th St Causeway. There are a lot of bayfront homes in Miami Shores though that are amazing.

I forgot to mention, just in case you're into golfing, all three areas have great country clubs.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:06 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,630,222 times
For families with school-aged children (taking into account schools):
Lakes > Springs > Shores

For adults without school-aged children (taking into account location, character, proximity to nightlife/entertainment)
Shores > Springs > Lakes

Demographics:
Lakes: about 2/3 Hispanic, 1/3 non-Hispanic white
Springs: about 2/3 Hispanic, 1/3 non-Hispanic white
Shores: about 1/2 non-Hispanic white, 1/4 Hispanic, 1/4 non-Hispanic black

Old 04-11-2009, 09:11 AM

Thanks for all the replies

Old 04-27-2009, 09:30 AM

18 posts, read 80,687 times
Miami Shores is wonderful. In my opinion, it is light-years better than Springs and Lakes but more expensive.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:03 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,948,734 times
Miami Shores is a very nice area, I went to school in that area and have a lot of friends there. It does not have that "Miami" feel it feels like the US but is close enough to Miami to do things like South Beach, Downtown etc.. Homes are very nice and old. Old homes are great and actually do best in hurricanes. There is a lot of green space and Miami Shores has the best Recreation department in the county for kids.
Miami Lakes is nice also, very suburbia but unless you work outside the area you really dont need to leave the area except for the beach and South Beach. It is safe and modern but a bit far from Miami.
I dont know much about Miami Springs but I would live in Miami Lakes or Miami Shores before Springs.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:14 AM

176 posts, read 643,961 times
In Springs they have the no speak-uh the ingles deal...the Milam's (which was Piggly Wiggly) has a food by the pound inspired hot foods section which actually sucks.....the strip malls have many cafeteria's....

But the Cubans that live there are mainly of the freedom flight persuasion sans accent (is that distinction of "persuasion" appropriate to bandy around?) and the ones that ask you questions in spanish may be their parents..either that or it's the apartment dweller trash....apt row on poinciana is hialeah in my opinion. The other day I had a really bad situation happen to me upon picking out flowers for a friend's mom at "the Pig"..a.k.a. Milam's

Old 02-01-2013, 06:11 AM

1 posts, read 7,231 times
Default Springs-The best kept secret

I vote for the Springs ... the best kept secret in Miami! Although a lot of our tree cover was removed by the last hurricanes, as a bird sanctuary we continue to be an attraction for bird watchers from around the world, and we have replanted with many native species. It is also one of the safest places to live in South Florida (we have our own police and fire department and response time is usually under 5 minutes) because there are only a few places to enter or exit... and once you are here... well, you'd better have a map or GPS because it can be a bit maze-like (the best for security!) The Springs has a wonderful small-town neighborhood feel. Many longtime residents grew up here and moved back with their families. The schools are A-rated. We have a nice dog-park, brand new rec center, one of the best heated community pools in the area (so says my tri-athelon friend) playgrounds for the kids (check out Castle Park) and nice walking/biking paths (Curtis Parkway and Ludlum). And as far as I've observed, people who live and work here usually do speak English. In fact, my parents just moved down from Maryland and speak no Spanish what-so-ever and are very happy here. Many times long time residents of Miami get us confused with the Lakes or the Shores... But its ok... Those of us who live here like that we are one of Miami's "best kept secrets."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami