Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 01:55 PM

131 posts, read 295,450 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Miami. I have family on Key Bisacyne so I'd like to be somewhat close to them, but I am younger and single so I don't want to live on the island.

My situation - Single and can work from home. So real commutes for me. I am an outdoors type, and also like some nightlife. The South Beach nights for me will not be too frequent. Now and then I want to go to Sobe, but i am not sure I'd want to live there. I like things a little more quiet. I'd like a building that is solid and quiet when I shut the balcony. Not looking to have wild partying neighbors (common in downtown Orlando where I live now), but I don't mind a little noise from the city itself, I am used to that.

Brickell seems to make the most sense. I'd like a 1 bed for close to 2k a month. I'd say 2k is my cap. Optimally, I'd like a newer building, good parking for my car and a bay view. The skylines here are too good for me to not have a good view from my den and the balcony.

My lifestyle. I like to walk or cycle around. Work..hit a crossfit gym at lunch and then hit a happy hour or have a date at night. Weekends hit the beach, party a little and get in some good exercise.

Any buildings I should check out that you all recommend? Or any alternative areas I have not considered would be great. I am going down in June to look at places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 11:36 AM

874 posts, read 900,465 times
I think the quality of life is better in Midtown/Edgewater if you're not forced to go to Brickell for work.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
I think the quality of life is better in Midtown/Edgewater if you're not forced to go to Brickell for work.
Thanks. Can you expand on that little? I am open to checking out any area that is relatively safe and on the water. The coolest place I have found is the Venetian Islands, but the condos are a little pricey and seem a bit older.

Old 05-01-2017, 12:41 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,357,665 times
I def. recommend Brickell over Downtown as well as Edgewater area. The buildings around the park on Bayshore Drive (17th-20th) are newer, nice buildings with lots of active young people (Quantum on the Bay, 1800 Club) . I would avoid Opera Tower, and Bay Parc Plaza. (Bay Parc is an apartment building and i would recommend avoiding all apt buildings honestly except maybe 1Broadway in Brickell).

Further north from the park are nice buildings such as Onyx, Uptown Lofts, Gallery Art, etc. (Though Onyx will be too pricey unless you find one of the few 1 bedrooms)

For Brickell, I would stay east of i-95 and north of maybe 20th/21st & Brickell Ave. Those buildings are nice, but most are older and don't have the crowd you are looking for. However, most of them are right on the bay and will have the best views. For what you want, I would look at Millicento, Brickell House (if you can get one cheap enough), Plaza, Brickell on the River, 500 Brickell, 1060 Brickell and maybe Neo Vertika (the noise might bother you but has a great crowd). I would avoid MyBrickell (no assigned parking) and Icon because of the parking, crazy valet, and the fact that they are losing their awesome pool for a year.

These are all privately owned condos so you'll need an agent to get you in and out of all the different units on the market.

Good luck on the move. I relocated from Orlando in 2010 as well with my wife to work at Marriott before we started our Real Estate company and we lived in South Beach & Downtown (Loft II). We loved South Beach but its changed over the last 5 years. Sure it has better restaurants and Alton Road is much nicer but the flooding has gotten worse and the traffic is much worse. Though if I worked from home, I would definitely choose South Beach over any other part of Miami. Brickell CityCentre is finally opened but the years I lived downtown I hated brickell because the traffic/construction/dust/etc. was just too awful. Now that's gotten a little bit better but there are still 4-5 buildings being built that cause backups and noise.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
I def. recommend Brickell over Downtown as well as Edgewater area. The buildings around the park on Bayshore Drive (17th-20th) are newer, nice buildings with lots of active young people (Quantum on the Bay, 1800 Club) . I would avoid Opera Tower, and Bay Parc Plaza. (Bay Parc is an apartment building and i would recommend avoiding all apt buildings honestly except maybe 1Broadway in Brickell).

Further north from the park are nice buildings such as Onyx, Uptown Lofts, Gallery Art, etc. (Though Onyx will be too pricey unless you find one of the few 1 bedrooms)

For Brickell, I would stay east of i-95 and north of maybe 20th/21st & Brickell Ave. Those buildings are nice, but most are older and don't have the crowd you are looking for. However, most of them are right on the bay and will have the best views. For what you want, I would look at Millicento, Brickell House (if you can get one cheap enough), Plaza, Brickell on the River, 500 Brickell, 1060 Brickell and maybe Neo Vertika (the noise might bother you but has a great crowd). I would avoid MyBrickell (no assigned parking) and Icon because of the parking, crazy valet, and the fact that they are losing their awesome pool for a year.

These are all privately owned condos so you'll need an agent to get you in and out of all the different units on the market.

Good luck on the move. I relocated from Orlando in 2010 as well with my wife to work at Marriott before we started our Real Estate company and we lived in South Beach & Downtown (Loft II). We loved South Beach but its changed over the last 5 years. Sure it has better restaurants and Alton Road is much nicer but the flooding has gotten worse and the traffic is much worse. Though if I worked from home, I would definitely choose South Beach over any other part of Miami. Brickell CityCentre is finally opened but the years I lived downtown I hated brickell because the traffic/construction/dust/etc. was just too awful. Now that's gotten a little bit better but there are still 4-5 buildings being built that cause backups and noise.
This is very, very helpful, thanks. I feel like I may be leaning to just a little more peace and quiet than right in the middle of the city. I like to ride my bike and explore around. I'm the type that likes to be close to the action but able to escape to a little quiet. In Orlando, I live in Thornton Park for example. I can walk to some spots and then I'll walk a little over a mile to the Arena or a little less to hit the main bar scene. I would never live in 55 West on Church St, for example.

To me downtown Orlando has become a little lower class and the rent is still around $1,600 or so. I took it as a sign to try something else since I have family on Key Biscayne. Anyway, a place like Skyline seems like it could be appealing, but again, I am just going from driving down Brickell Ave. I don't know what the tenants are like.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLguy View Post
This is very, very helpful, thanks. I feel like I may be leaning to just a little more peace and quiet than right in the middle of the city. I like to ride my bike and explore around. I'm the type that likes to be close to the action but able to escape to a little quiet. In Orlando, I live in Thornton Park for example. I can walk to some spots and then I'll walk a little over a mile to the Arena or a little less to hit the main bar scene. I would never live in 55 West on Church St, for example.

To me downtown Orlando has become a little lower class and the rent is still around $1,600 or so. I took it as a sign to try something else since I have family on Key Biscayne. Anyway, a place like Skyline seems like it could be appealing, but again, I am just going from driving down Brickell Ave. I don't know what the tenants are like.
Sure, Skyline is nice as well. There are so many buildings so I was just trying to recommend a few to hone in on. Emerald is nice, the Club is nice, etc.

Thornton park is great and we used to live off South Street in a condo for a little while before moving to Avalon Park and then Millenia area before going to Kissimmee. We were gone by the time 55West opened up and that new Eola building opened. When we were there, downtown was dead on weekends so we found it pretty boring. Barely any restaurants open and we ate at Ginos most Sunday nights (this was pre-Uber and deliver dudes, grubhub, etc.).

Old 06-12-2017, 12:11 PM

64 posts, read 67,668 times
Quote:

Don't want to hijack thread - but I have a similar story/reqs to OP. Only I have a higher budget (up to $3k for a 2br/2ba). So thought it best to continue here. Excellent list! You mention avoiding downtown. But I took a walk through it a month ago and there seemed to be a small corridor that looked nice (basically a few block radius around the Whole Foods, mostly S and E, including the building the WF is in). Do you recommend this area? If not, why not?

Also what about Brickell Key? Or Biscayne Island/San Marcos/Venetian Island? Or should one just stick to Brickell and Edgewater?

Old 06-12-2017, 12:29 PM

278 posts, read 317,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicMe View Post
Don't want to hijack thread - but I have a similar story/reqs to OP. Only I have a higher budget (up to $3k for a 2br/2ba). So thought it best to continue here. Excellent list! You mention avoiding downtown. But I took a walk through it a month ago and there seemed to be a small corridor that looked nice (basically a few block radius around the Whole Foods, mostly S and E, including the building the WF is in). Do you recommend this area? If not, why not?

Also what about Brickell Key? Or Biscayne Island/San Marcos/Venetian Island? Or should one just stick to Brickell and Edgewater?
If you have lived in any big city you will find Brickell and downtown great.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicMe View Post

Welcome!

Yes, I recommend the MET buildings as well as the Epic (though over $3000 for a 2/2) and definitely OneMiami (325 & 335 S Biscayne). 50 Biscayne is nice as well (they have a spa to go along with a great gym) and you can watch the Ultra concerts and many others from the balconies of half of 50 Biscayne and a good portion of the OneMiami buildings.
Vizcayne (a few buildings down from 50 Biscayne) is also nice and you should get a 2/2 in there for $3000. That building has a big gym, door man, 4 pools, spa, towel service by the pool, etc.

Over the bridge in Brickell, the Brickell on the River buildings are very nice as well as 1060 Brickell, Plaza, & Millicento.

For Brickell Key, you'd want to look at Courvosier Courts or Tequesta for luxury buildings. St Louis has the best views (all Direct Bay View units, gorgeous!) bu the building has a limited gym though a nice pool. Isola & Brickell Key 1 & 2 are just ok. Isola doesn't have Washer Dryers in most units, BK 1 & 2 do and they have multiple pools and tennis courts but an older crowd.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:07 PM

64 posts, read 67,668 times
Quote:
Welcome!

Yes, I recommend the MET buildings as well as the Epic (though over $3000 for a 2/2) and definitely OneMiami (325 & 335 S Biscayne). 50 Biscayne is nice as well (they have a spa to go along with a great gym) and you can watch the Ultra concerts and many others from the balconies of half of 50 Biscayne and a good portion of the OneMiami buildings.
Vizcayne (a few buildings down from 50 Biscayne) is also nice and you should get a 2/2 in there for $3000. That building has a big gym, door man, 4 pools, spa, towel service by the pool, etc.

Over the bridge in Brickell, the Brickell on the River buildings are very nice as well as 1060 Brickell, Plaza, & Millicento.

For Brickell Key, you'd want to look at Courvosier Courts or Tequesta for luxury buildings. St Louis has the best views (all Direct Bay View units, gorgeous!) bu the building has a limited gym though a nice pool. Isola & Brickell Key 1 & 2 are just ok. Isola doesn't have Washer Dryers in most units, BK 1 & 2 do and they have multiple pools and tennis courts but an older crowd.
Thank you! This is quite helpful!

Personally I'd prefer a nice gym and/or tennis courts than a pool (or spa, towel service, etc). But I assume most people prefer pools and that's why most buildings feature them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami