Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:05 PM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexRodriguez View Post
Go to "El Palacio de los Jugos" on Flagler and 57th and try to speak English to anyone there - if you manage to get two English words out of one of those Cubans, then I'll pay for your congris, masistas de puerco y yuca con mojo.

Did you know that Hialeah has the highest percentage of Spanish speaking population in whole country? Yeap, with 92% of residents reported speaking Spanish at home, Hialeah beats any city in Texas, California, New York, New Jersey, etc, etc. So, go to Hialeah and speak Spanish to anyone there that you'll have a 92% chance that that person will speak Spanish back to you - the other 8% probably speaks Creole or Mandarin because not even the English radio stations can be tuned there.

FYI: Don't go to Doral, Venezuelans there are too snobby and full of .... - they are better than you, so they won't help you learn Spanish. Anyway, all you may be able to learn from them is "Vergacion", "chamo", "Mi gordo" and "Arepa". If you really want to learn some Venezuelan-Spanish, then come to Weston where you'll find more educated Venezuelans - still snobby but not so full of it.
Thanks Alex!

(I use to see A-rod play.)

I'll check out Hialeah.

Yeah, I heard that some (a lot?) of the Venezuelans in Miami are HISO and some linked to the Chavez govt but had the money to get out and they have corrupt-money.

Thanks again on Hialeah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 11:24 AM

1,049 posts, read 959,918 times
Pretty much anywhere but yeah, Hialeah and Little Havana will give you the most opportunities to practice. Also, Cubans and Central Americans tend to be friendly when conversing, so you should feel comfortable talking in Spanish with them.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:40 PM

52 posts, read 52,413 times
You should rent a place in Little Havana for a year and visit all these bars and nightclubs regularly. I guarantee your Spanish will get much better in a blink of an eye. In your case, that would be the fastest path to mastering the Spanish language.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
Pretty much anywhere but yeah, Hialeah and Little Havana will give you the most opportunities to practice. Also, Cubans and Central Americans tend to be friendly when conversing, so you should feel comfortable talking in Spanish with them.
Agreed, Wrong Street.

I've travelled in Central America a couple of times and learned Spanish at a Spanish Academy for a month in Guatemala - but that was in 1994. Long time ago....I still keep in touch with Guatemalan friends I made there. I always got along with folks from Central America.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthislikepoetry View Post
You should rent a place in Little Havana for a year and visit all these bars and nightclubs regularly. I guarantee your Spanish will get much better in a blink of an eye. In your case, that would be the fastest path to mastering the Spanish language.
I'm B2 at the moment but a weak B2 (level).

I'm single with no kids and have no debt, so making the move could be possible.

I know little of the job market in the Miami area.

I'm still in Asia, but will be moving back to the US this year and have been researching and communicating with jobs in Phoenix - but I am open to Miami area (and lived in Ft. Lauderdale 17 years ago, albeit briefly).

It all depends on the job market.

It seems wages are lower but my costs are low. If gainful employment is possible then I'm open to it. Of course, it does not have to be the perfect job.

Cheers.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:35 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnRyan View Post
Where can you practice Spanish in Miami... everywhere.

Honestly, what kind of Spanish do you want to speak...

Cuban - little Havana or Hialeah
South American - Doral
Homestead - Mexican

Most other areas will be more of a mix.
When I lived in the area, much of the Spanish spoken was "Spanglish," a mixture of Spanish and English. It seemed like most of the Spanish spoken in north Dade County was Cuban.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:45 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I'll be in the Ft. Lauderdale and Miami area, but cheers for the note on Orlando.

As someone interested in Spanish, why does Orlando have a large Spanish speaking community? Curious.
Orlando has a large Puerto Rican population. I believe it's the second largest PR community in the country after NYC.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:44 PM

798 posts, read 1,459,391 times
Just go to Kendall or other areas where Colombians mingle. It's the best Spanish spoken ever. I don't recommend practicing with Cubans even tho, since it's a dialect what they talk.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:47 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
Just go to Kendall or other areas where Colombians mingle. It's the best Spanish spoken ever. I don't recommend practicing with Cubans even tho, since it's a dialect what they talk.
Agreed. The teacher at the adult ed Spanish class in Hialeah told our group not to ask Cubans how to pronounce Spanish words!

Old 06-14-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
Yes, I've been to Columbia and currently learn with a few Columbian teachers (online) and they have a clear clean accent, IMO.

As we know, Cuban spanish drops (omits) the [s] in the middle and end of words and most vowels are dropped / not said. It's "Espanol del Caribe" and I find it difficult. One obvious example on the boob-tube is the "Cristina" show and "Caso Cerrado."

Yeah, I prefer the Columbian accent.

Kendall, thanx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami