Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Miami overrated?
yes 23 47.92%
no 25 52.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 05:12 AM

505 posts, read 393,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
When did it have class?

There are enough Miami bashers to conclude that it is really neither underrated nor overrated, but since my expectations are low, underrated is fine.

Some 2.7 million people live here on a daily basis, for any number of reasons that run the gamut of human expectations, going about life's daily functions one day at a time, of which tourism is a relatively small fraction.

People who pose these types of questions are really asking "what mistakes do I make in my own personal expectations management?".

Take an accurate 365-degree measure of reality, starting and ending with yourself, you'll see better.

Good Luck!

Yes, and they do idealize a Miami of yesteryear.
Miami was always HIGHLY segregated, the only difference was that Latins were not in the radar and lived among Anglos. Rich among rich anglos, poor lived near the Orange B.
There were blacks, but not only black ghettoes but SUN DOWN AREAS.
There was a rampant and vitriolic antisemitism, Jews lived in their ghettoes.
The most aristocratic club of MB did not allow JEWS!!!
And of course, class segretation, immigrant segregation -calle ocho was mostly immigrant before cubans, there were cracker areas, Hialeah.
Miami is now a cosmopolitan and international city compared to yesteryear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2017, 06:09 AM

789 posts, read 785,549 times
If your in a good place in life and have the income to back it up Miami could be your paradise . But like so much of the coast of florida if your a still a blue collar working stiff or a newbe white collar type moving into the area it might test your ability to live with in a budget till you learn to fit in .

I've would more at home if I lived on 10 acers off the west side of Krome avenue or out off loop road or around turner grade than in any larger market . But I do love Cuban food in general .

Old 11-03-2017, 07:23 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
If your in a good place in life and have the income to back it up Miami could be your paradise . But like so much of the coast of florida if your a still a blue collar working stiff or a newbe white collar type moving into the area it might test your ability to live with in a budget till you learn to fit in.
Please cite any coastal city around the world with at least some exposure to the global economy where people with average income ("blue collar working stiff") might NOT be hard pressed to live within a budget and learn to fit in.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:48 PM

798 posts, read 1,460,907 times
The poll parameters are perfunctory and vain. It's based from a cosmetic perspective. What is the purpose of gentrifying a society in where aesthetically speaking they look "classy" outside but rotten inside? I know a lot of people, and friends who lives in Brickell, Coral Gables, Pincrest, and surrounding islands where supposedly people "have class", but they are incapable to say "hi" because everybody thinks they are superior. I am not saying ghetto ppl are better because obviously they aren't. All I am saying is being classy is just a stupid parameter that doesn't add any value to a city. I don't know you but I want to say away from that type of people.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:36 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,783 times
nope it has gotten better and very stylish and smooth.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:35 AM

789 posts, read 785,549 times
bale002 That was my point , Your a bright one !!

Old 11-04-2017, 06:34 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
bale002 That was my point , Your a bright one !!
Which bright one is mine?

Anyway, point is too many people can't figure that out, suffering from "everything about me is unique" syndrome, especially complaints.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:58 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_k View Post

Edit: I personally don't find the weather worse than cities to the immediate north, like central Florida, GA, SC etc., which tend to be just as humid but don't have any ocean breeze. Of course, the occasional hurricane doesn't help....
Miami is in the tropical zone so it gets spared from the cold fronts more than the rest of the state northward... I'd hate that personally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami