Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 04:02 PM

9 posts, read 78,963 times

Advertisements

Might be moving from TX to Miami and just starting early research. Will probably be making high 60's, low 70's. Family of 5 (3 young children, as of now, homeschooled).

Any suggestions on areas to check out to live or areas to avoid? The only "bad" areas I've heard about right now are Opa Locka, Miami Gardens and Liberty Square/Little Haiti. I know it's all relative to a degree, but just want to get a feel from those who have insight. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 05:09 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Lots of info needed.....
Budget?
Renting or buying?
What type of commute are you expecting?
Bed/baths?
City or suburbs?
etc.........

Old 10-30-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Lots of info needed.....
Budget?
Renting or buying?
What type of commute are you expecting?
Bed/baths?
City or suburbs?
etc.........

Not sure of everything. Commute not necessarily worried about, might be telecommuting half the time. Probably 3/2, city/sub doesn't really matter.

Coming from TX would be a huge change. Land and housing is still relatively cheap, so I get we'll be cutting back a lot. I'm more interested in learning about areas...

Open to renting or buying. Renting to learn the area better before laying down roots. Or, if we learn enough and visit and know what I area we want, we're not opposed to buying.

Budget is harder to say because I'm not 100% sure yet of salary. I do know I'm not going to be making 6 figures or anything like that!

Old 10-30-2017, 05:47 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Family of 5, living on low $70s in Miami... ouch... You will hate it.

Old 10-30-2017, 06:14 PM

874 posts, read 900,465 times
Curious what kind of job is motivating you to make the move? Even from the few details provided, I'd suggest looking at the areas far southwest of Miami. You'll need a decent security system, as there is definitely some crime down there. But prices still won't be cheap, just cheaper. Another option would be to move to someplace like Loxahatchee in Palm Beach county, and commute a few days a week. Which would be a long, long commute, but prices will be more affordable. Just an example of the sort of home you might find up there... www.AnnRyan.Keyes.com/R10370760. In Doral, that same 2000 amount can get you a new 1 bedroom condo!

Old 10-30-2017, 09:18 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
I would move to Fort Lauderdale area it cheaper than Miami about 35 mins away.

Old 10-31-2017, 02:42 AM

984 posts, read 4,318,031 times
I'd definitely recommend looking in Broward (greater Ft Lauderdale) too. You can get a better place for less, if you get a place in South/SW Broward commute won't be so bad and most neighborhoods are very nice and safe.

I think it will be a bit tough on 60s to 70s in SoFL but you'll be well. My household income is not that different (family of 3 though), and I'm able to live in a large new 3/3 house in Lakes by the Bay (South Dade though), incredibly safe community, people get along well here, the city (Cutler Bay) does a great job in keeping our city nice, and we have some amenities by Old Cutler Rd (the only thing is that the commute sucks - if you go to the Downtown area).

Old 10-31-2017, 11:15 AM

653 posts, read 817,003 times
Do. Not. Come. Here

Old 10-31-2017, 11:50 AM

For those asking about job, I'm in non-profit. Not looking to move into the areas where you have to be making millions, ie, downtown or Miami beach area.

Honestly, just looking for 'general' information about the Miami-Dade county (as well as Broward).

Like in general, I can tell you about areas of Dallas that are extremely nice and wealthy, and I can tell you about areas that are impoverished, desolate and unsafe.

I know it won't be exact, but just a general idea.

Old 10-31-2017, 01:20 PM

1,049 posts, read 961,336 times
FYI - Liberty Square and Little Haiti are completely different areas of Miami, one is west of I-95 and contains a large housing project (Liberty Square). The other is largely single family homes east of I-95 and is in the very early stages of gentrification (Little Haiti).

As for areas where you might be able to live comfortably. I agree that South Dade or some areas of Southern Broward might be the best fit. You can look at Homestead and Cutler Bay, if commuting to downtown Miami or the Beaches isn't a huge deal it really might be the best fit in terms of larger homes for a decent price and relatively safe areas.

Otherwise, maybe Davie or Plantation in Broward might be a good fit, even Sunrise, though for 5 people you might be stretching things a bit price-wise. Commute to downtown Miami would be similar to Homestead, but you will more than likely be in a much smaller home. I would scratch anything near Fort Lauderdale or Miami proper off your list, if you were single making $70K you'd be fine in those areas, but for a family of 5 it's impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami