Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 10:33 AM

289 posts, read 305,241 times

Advertisements

To echo what everyone else said, it's not.

That said, neither are most Miami realtors. The number of properties listed at stupidly high asking prices here (with no budging or negotiating) is absurd. Especially when these properties sit on the market for years. Or when nearly identical properties sell for a fraction of their price. There's a unit in my building that's being sold by the former chairman of the condo board. It's smaller than my place, has worse views, a terrible layout, no updates, and a much smaller outdoor area. He wants 50% more than my place (a penthouse, as well) is worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 11:23 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Yup..not sure why a realtor would waste their time with such an overpriced listing unless they, like the owner, are hoping an all cash buyer looking to launder some money comes along and is the ultimate buyer.

Then there are those owners who are renting out their places (with their monthly payments covered) and go on the market hoping to find some putz who will overpay their higher than market asking price, often with the buyer then having to inherit and assume the role of landlord for a few to several months until the rental lease expires. In this and the above scenario it tells me the seller is not truly motivated.

Finally, I came across a listing agent who insisted on making a 4% commission (his portion only), to the detriment of the seller (same listing agent neglected to get the property listed on Zillow, and Redfin...other than that, he is doing a heckuva job for his client).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusiphur View Post
To echo what everyone else said, it's not.

That said, neither are most Miami realtors. The number of properties listed at stupidly high asking prices here (with no budging or negotiating) is absurd. Especially when these properties sit on the market for years. Or when nearly identical properties sell for a fraction of their price. There's a unit in my building that's being sold by the former chairman of the condo board. It's smaller than my place, has worse views, a terrible layout, no updates, and a much smaller outdoor area. He wants 50% more than my place (a penthouse, as well) is worth.

Last edited by Yac; 12-02-2020 at 02:22 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 11:35 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
It’s easy to do a CMA yourself, I mean if you have an agent who is competent it’s easier to do it through the MLS, but still you can do yourself.

Go on redfin.com, filters, choose Sold Homes within 1 year. And just look at all the sold homes in that building and area. Look for properties similar size, look at the sold price per square foot, compare the views, updated-ness etc. It’s easy to do.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:43 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Yup...only issue is logic and analytical data do not often apply on one or both sides of the proposed transaction. Also, not sure if these sites include all cash transactions, do they??

Then there is subjective data....some very nice remodeled units at Waverly, as an example, are taking a big hit and have been reduced considerably thanks to construction of Monad Terrace next door. Some of the owners on the construction side who are motivated have dropped their prices at least 10% whereas others are priced as though nothing has changed and no construction is taking place at all. Not sure how, if at all, real estate sites account for such construction in coming up with their estimated values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It’s easy to do a CMA yourself, I mean if you have an agent who is competent it’s easier to do it through the MLS, but still you can do yourself.

Go on redfin.com, filters, choose Sold Homes within 1 year. And just look at all the sold homes in that building and area. Look for properties similar size, look at the sold price per square foot, compare the views, updated-ness etc. It’s easy to do.
Is

Last edited by elchevere; 04-23-2018 at 11:56 AM..

Old 04-23-2018, 07:02 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,357,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Then there is subjective data....some very nice remodeled units at Waverly, as an example, are taking a big hit and have been reduced considerably thanks to construction of Monad Terrace next door. Some of the owners on the construction side who are motivated have dropped their prices at least 10% whereas others are priced as though nothing has changed and no construction is taking place at all. Not sure how, if at all, real estate sites account for such construction in coming up with their estimated values.
Yep, I've been saying this all year. You can get direct bay '01 and '02 line units under $850k now where as it was $950k-$1.1ML 2-3 years ago. Waverly is the best bang for your buck right now because of MONAd and some desperate sellers. Before it was Floridian because of the lobby construction and West Ave was torn up. Now that's done so prices will start to come back to market again. And you get 'nothing but blue' from all rooms where as the waverly will still give you some city/building views even in the '01 and '02 lines because of how the building is shaped.
But, waverly is a better location given what's around you vs Floridian is more convenient to get off the island.

I've been showing the Waverly like crazy to clients lately, units are going much quicker now and no longer sitting on the market.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:49 PM

29 posts, read 19,799 times
Price estimate is way off. Homes on the market are usually accurate.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:26 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miagal View Post
Price estimate is way off. Homes on the market are usually accurate.
Homes on the market have only become more accurate relatively recently.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:56 PM

80 posts, read 61,548 times
Would you guys say Red Fin is "more accurate?" I am simply trying to establish a more accurate value of homes in certain areas, that's all. Just doing research for when the time comes to buy a SFH.

Looking at the recently sold listings has the draw back of being shown the price the home was sold for AFTER the down payment, so you don't really get to see the actual sale price (and you don't know how much they put down).

As I mentioned above this is just for my own research, I'm not quite at the stage to get a Realtor involved to start running comps, etc.

Thanks

Old 05-02-2018, 02:48 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
"Looking at the recently sold listings"

This is a recent experience we had in our neighborhood......YMMV

Some of the realtors that work our neighborhood were grossly under reporting what the houses sold for.....leaving out a zero on the end.....as a result, zillow's algorithm grossly under valued the houses that were still on the market. The zestimate was off by hundreds of thousands.

This happened with more than one realtor, at more than one company, and went on for months. When confronted with it, they said it was a mistake. It's only a mistake if you're stupid enough to believe that no realtor ever looked at Zillow or had someone mention it in all those months....and no realtor ever tried to get someone to take a lot less for their house, because the buyer quoted zillow.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:20 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,831,709 times
I find RedFin more reliable.

Last edited by Yac; 12-02-2020 at 02:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami