Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 03:16 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS013 View Post
Can someone explain to me why traffic is so horrendous in South Florida?! Even in NYC a 20 mile commute driving doesn’t take 1 hr 40 mins depending on where you’re going. I know plenty of folks who commute from Westchester, Long Island, and NJ into NYC who live way further than 20-25 miles from their workplace and it’s not taking them that long. This honestly makes no sense to me.
Too many moving to Miami and falling in love with city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 04:39 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
I live in N Miami and commute to Coral Gables twice a week. The mileage is about 14 miles or so. I leave at 7:50AM to get there at 9AM, sometimes I'm late. Its stop and go the whole way on both 95 and US-1.

Even if I'm done by 3:30PM, it still takes 1hr - 1hr 20 mins to get home. I avoid the express lanes because they are $10 by 4:30PM. Sometimes I hop off at Midtown and Take Miami Ave all the way up to Miami Shores just to avoid the awful drivers changing lanes every 5 seconds on 95 in stop n go traffic.

Good luck with that 20+ miles!

Old 04-12-2018, 08:56 PM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
I live in N Miami and commute to Coral Gables twice a week. The mileage is about 14 miles or so. I leave at 7:50AM to get there at 9AM, sometimes I'm late. Its stop and go the whole way on both 95 and US-1.

Even if I'm done by 3:30PM, it still takes 1hr - 1hr 20 mins to get home. I avoid the express lanes because they are $10 by 4:30PM. Sometimes I hop off at Midtown and Take Miami Ave all the way up to Miami Shores just to avoid the awful drivers changing lanes every 5 seconds on 95 in stop n go traffic.

Good luck with that 20+ miles!
Welcome to NYC 6th borough

Old 04-13-2018, 02:14 PM

193 posts, read 282,216 times
I will continue to look at some options in Miami Dade. Even the options further east are still 15-20 miles from the FIU area, so my commute time doesn’t seem like it’ll be much shorter. Hopefully one day there will be a solution to the traffic issue in South Florida because taking over an hour to drive 10 miles sounds like a hellish experience. I will still also check out places in Pembroke Pines and Miramar once I hear back from this position, and try to spend a few days down here to see what the drive is like during rush hour. I think driving around will allow me to make a final decision on where to move. Even if this one doesn’t come through, I am still looking to relocate to South Florida, although as I mentioned earlier, I do prefer Fort Lauderdale and Broward County as a whole over Miami Dade. Who knows a better job opportunity might pop up for me so I will wait and see what happens in the few weeks.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:27 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Welcome to NYC 6th borough
Nope, sorry..not even close to NYC.

Old 04-17-2018, 01:40 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Yea, traffic has gotten much worse. I remember a few years ago I use to drive from Brickell down to Sunset or Dadeland area for lunch every now and then, now it takes so long I do not even bother, and that is just in the middle of the day during the week.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:42 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS013 View Post
Can someone explain to me why traffic is so horrendous in South Florida?! Even in NYC a 20 mile commute driving doesn’t take 1 hr 40 mins depending on where you’re going. I know plenty of folks who commute from Westchester, Long Island, and NJ into NYC who live way further than 20-25 miles from their workplace and it’s not taking them that long. This honestly makes no sense to me.
Miami doesn't have many alternative routes like older Northeastern cities that were largely developed before the advent of highways. It has a series of collector roads that mostly flow into I-95. Just imagine if the Bronx had 70% fewer streets and 95% of them connected to the Cross-Bronx. That's essentially the situation in S. Florida.

There've been times I was stuck on 95 in South Florida and tried to find ways around the traffic on Waze only to find out there were no other ways to get where I was going. In most cases, the alternative took even longer. It is indeed a frustrating thing because you can't simply get off at any given exit and find a back way to your destination. In Boston or Philly, you may have 10 different ways to get from Point A to B without using the highway. In Miami, you may have only 2 ways.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 04-17-2018 at 02:57 PM..

Old 04-18-2018, 04:48 PM

193 posts, read 282,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Miami doesn't have many alternative routes like older Northeastern cities that were largely developed before the advent of highways. It has a series of collector roads that mostly flow into I-95. Just imagine if the Bronx had 70% fewer streets and 95% of them connected to the Cross-Bronx. That's essentially the situation in S. Florida.

There've been times I was stuck on 95 in South Florida and tried to find ways around the traffic on Waze only to find out there were no other ways to get where I was going. In most cases, the alternative took even longer. It is indeed a frustrating thing because you can't simply get off at any given exit and find a back way to your destination. In Boston or Philly, you may have 10 different ways to get from Point A to B without using the highway. In Miami, you may have only 2 ways.
Yikes no wonder that truly sucks. I Google Mapped some of the areas in Miami Dade en route to the University Park area and I can see that there’s really only one major road in a lot of areas to travel around South Florida. Taking this into consideration makes it more difficult to figure out where to move to that has what I want, is affordable, and relatively centrally located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami