Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 03:11 PM

1,168 posts, read 778,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
I would HIGHLY recommend that the Jews, Blacks, Whites, Asians and any other non-Hispanics living in South Florida start becoming proficient in Spanish like yesterday. If you are not going to learn Spanish, you do not belong in South Florida. If you do not speak Spanish, you will be at a tremendous disadvantage in South Florida. Sad but true. If you don't like it, please feel free to move! I did!
I've done just fine here without knowing Spanish, Portuguese or whatever it is that Haitians speak (lol). If I can't understand the sign outside of the building then I simply don't go in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 10:06 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
I've done just fine here without knowing Spanish, Portuguese or whatever it is that Haitians speak (lol). If I can't understand the sign outside of the building then I simply don't go in.

That's because you don't know what they are saying behind your back.

Old 09-23-2018, 12:57 PM

1,168 posts, read 778,148 times
Quote:
OR...I don't care what they're saying.

Old 09-23-2018, 03:54 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Yes because we hispanics have nothing better to do than to talk about you "gringos" behind your backs !
The air of self importance and arrogance is quite amazing.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:48 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
I wonder where these people who don't speak Spanish and have a perfect time in Miami actually live, socialize and work. I really want to know, because I would have places to go where I don't have to be a translator. It gets soooooo tiring to do that all the time.

Anything close to West Kendall area? Hopefully I don't get answers like Wynwood, Aventura, Liberty City and Pinecrest, as those places are so far away from my house during a weekday night. I go back to Kendall all tired and the last thing I want to do is interact with people with huge Spanish entitlement. This is more for my wife than for me. I know Spanish.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:48 PM

9 posts, read 11,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
I wonder where these people who don't speak Spanish and have a perfect time in Miami actually live, socialize and work. I really want to know, because I would have places to go where I don't have to be a translator. It gets soooooo tiring to do that all the time.

Anything close to West Kendall area? Hopefully I don't get answers like Wynwood, Aventura, Liberty City and Pinecrest, as those places are so far away from my house during a weekday night. I go back to Kendall all tired and the last thing I want to do is interact with people with huge Spanish entitlement. This is more for my wife than for me. I know Spanish.
I grew up and live in Little Havana and REFUSE to speak spanish. Growing up I never liked to speak it. I was called ignorant because I didn’t want to learn/speak my heritage. I personally go by the saying ‘when in Rome, do like the Romans do’.

If they don’t understand I point. I’ve been told a few times to speak spanish this is Miami. I always respond speak english this is America. And yes I know Spanish. I have fought this for years and years feeling I was making a difference here. Well it’s beaten me down. I’ll be living in North Broward at the beginning of next month. Miami is a ****hole. They won. They can keep it.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:08 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,357,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Yes because we hispanics have nothing better to do than to talk about you "gringos" behind your backs !
The air of self importance and arrogance is quite amazing.
But when they do, I love catching them with the little bit of spanish I do know!

Then you get to watch their faces change and get embarrassed, which then leads to outright anger!

Old 09-29-2018, 08:18 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
Years ago, I went to the Winn Dixie in Kendall on 104th. I picked up a loaf of French bread and went to the woman working behind the counter in the bakery department and asked that she slice the bread on their slicer. She looked at me perplexed. Thought maybe she didn't hear me. I asked her again - she heard me, it was she didn't understand me! I make the motion of slicing. She takes the bread, with her bare hands and goes to slice it, and as I go walk out the door, breadless.

Happened all too many times.

Was so happy to move out of Miami!!!

Old 10-04-2018, 11:24 AM

622 posts, read 427,795 times
Quote:
They call their products oriental, not themselves, thus oriental market.

Asians in Florida are not some kind of specific breed that have an specific southern colloquial idiom that they live by.
Chinos, chinos are part of Cuban ancestry. Lots of Cuban Cantonese restaurants if they still survive.

In Hialeah, ages ago, many people were prejudiced against American clients because there were a lot of trailer trash, white trash that were rude and aggressive, but in general the relation was very good. Hialeah blacks were peaceful, never joined any riot.

Old 10-04-2018, 11:27 AM

622 posts, read 427,795 times
Quote:
They call their products oriental, not themselves, thus oriental market.

Asians in Florida are not some kind of specific breed that have an specific southern colloquial idiom that they live by.
Old Cantone-Cuban used to speak Cantonese-Cuban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami