Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 11:45 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,162 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to Miami in January 2020 from Chicago. Luckily I will be working remotely (from home), so I don't need to find a job and will be taking my $90k salary with me. I work in digital marketing and I am fluent in Spanish and Portuguese. I am a 33 year old Puerto Rican, Italian, and Portuguese descent gay guy. A few things I want:

1. Walkable - A neighborhood that I can walk around with ease. It doesn't have to have everything, but at least the basic stuff I can walk to like grocery store, gym, some bars, decent restaurants, etc.

2. Lively - I also would like a neighborhood where you see people out and about. Doesn't have to be ton of people out, but a neighborhood that has some pedestrian action.

3. Friendliness - Except for one friend I have in Miami, I really don't know anyone else. I would like a neighborhood where people are a little more friendlier and out going. A place where its easier to meet locals.

4. Parking - I plan on having a car. I don't plan on using it every day, but would like to have one to get around and also to frequent Jupiter and West Palm Beach as I have friends and family there.

5. Rent - I would like to keep my rent at around $1700 per month. At minimum a 1-bedroom.

Neighborhoods/Cities I am considering:
Wynwood, Coconut Grove, Wynwood, Coral Gables, Miami Beach, Beverly Terrace, and North Bay Village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 11:57 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
The first thing I would do based on your criteria is eliminate North Bay Village from your list of potential places to live.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
The first thing I would do based on your criteria is eliminate North Bay Village from your list of potential places to live.
Why is that? I know it's less walkable and less going on. I think what I like about it is it's cheaper and you can get a place right on the water for a decent price.

But thanks for this advice.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:24 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,198,897 times
North Bay Village is an OK option if you are on a budget. I'd prefer Miami Beach but it's certainly better than Kendall or Doral as far as location goes.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:10 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Why is that? I know it's less walkable and less going on. I think what I like about it is it's cheaper and you can get a place right on the water for a decent price.

But thanks for this advice.
North Bay Village is perfectly fine as a place to live, especially if someone is seeking an inexpensive place on the water. But you said that you wanted a lively, walkable neighborhood with bars and decent restaurants. NBV is/has none of those things. Normandy Isle would be a better option in that area. Better still would be North Beach between 65th St. & 75th St.

But your best options would be any of the other options you mentioned: Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Wynwood, SoBe, and one you didn't: Brickell.

Old 02-19-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
North Bay Village is perfectly fine as a place to live, especially if someone is seeking an inexpensive place on the water. But you said that you wanted a lively, walkable neighborhood with bars and decent restaurants. NBV is/has none of those things. Normandy Isle would be a better option in that area. Better still would be North Beach between 65th St. & 75th St.

But your best options would be any of the other options you mentioned: Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Wynwood, SoBe, and one you didn't: Brickell.
Thanks! The thing about Brickell is I want an area that has more of "neighborhood feel" but I can still consider it.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:29 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Wynwood isn't really a liveable neighborhood. It is very industrial, very few actual places to live. People try and pass off Edgewater and Midtown for Wynwood. It's also a bit sketch at night.

If you are gay, have you looked at Wilton Manors in Fort Lauderdale? I would take a good look. It is a fantastic neighborhood.

Since you are fluent in Spanish and Portuguese, definitely Brickell should be high on your list.

Coral Gables is gorgeous but very much a family neighborhood, can be boring.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:19 PM

2,128 posts, read 2,354,286 times
As a resident realtor here who handles relocations all the time; let me chime in for you and list them in order:

South Beach
Coconut Grove
Brickell
Midtown (No one calls it Beverly terrace)
Coral Gables
North Beach

Wynwood isn't an option -no where to live, sketchy at nights, etc.

South Beach checks them all off the list.
Brickell isn't known for its friendly-ness, but very lively. $1700 will get you a 1 bedroom in a full service building where as South Beach you will end up in an older building but in the 'center of it all yet on a quiet block'.
Grove is great but $1700 doesn't go far. however, its a great 'community' and the only 'community' feel you'll get in the list of places I listed. Think 'constant outdoor yoga or vball' activities with lots of people taking their dogs to outdoor restaurants all while being directly on the bay.

Hope this helps you!

Old 02-20-2019, 05:57 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,192,944 times
South Beach and Brickell. Move to Coral Gables when you reach your 50s I guess.
Wynwood? I don’t know who out there is selling the idea that Wynwood is a place to live. Not even surrounding areas are that good.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:37 AM

18,430 posts, read 8,262,327 times
Look at East Little Havana....

1. Everyone walks..drug stores, grocery, cafes restaurants, bars, etc
2. Tons of bars, restaurants, cafes, etc...best jazz bars in Miami....
3. Very friendly and very gay friendly...and very neighborhoodish
4. Nicer places have off street parking
5. You can find a really nice 2 BR for that or less

There's some really nice buildings in that area, and some older not so nice.....pick your building
...and it's dead center of the areas you're looking at

Last edited by Corrie22; 02-20-2019 at 06:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami