Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:29 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times

Advertisements

I think you should try to get an FIU professor to sponsor your thesis on "Banana Wealth." Who knows, Middle America might like your thesis. Besides, you'll have to use plenty of "elitist" terms like "mutually exclusive" when you write your book! Haha!!

Old 04-16-2008, 11:49 AM

147 posts, read 190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
Who cares if he hasn't learned? That's his problem. Maybe he has been working two full-time jobs just to get by and gets home exhausted. Is he hurting anyone other than himself? Luckily for him, he lives in a place where there are tons of people who speak spanish and are bilingual.
That's so sweet... everybody living in harmony....AWWW

Multiply this guy by half a million an you have the true percentage of people who can't speak English in this county. (1 in 5)

Old 04-17-2008, 05:27 PM

Default Elements of Banana Wealth

Things to look for when assessing Banana Wealth:

-Great numbers of local immigrant population who wear Tony Montana t-shirts.

-Abundance of calling cards in gas stations.

-Concrete and block walls with large steel gates that surround single family homes, not neighborhoods or private golf course communities. We're not talking white picket fences here...

-People who have been in the U.S. more than 10 years and cannot speak any English. Many in Miami have been here for 20 years and can't speak English. Many, 40+ years.

-Neighborhoods, not buildings, that exist simply because of section 8.

-What are so many Bentleys and AMG series Mercedes doing in a place like Sweetwater?

-Western Unions, bail bond agencies, currency exchanges, cheap bridal botiques...

-Phony post secondary education schools such as Carlos Albizu University where sole purpose is to increase the education of the local non-English fluent population.

-Intersections with multiple dollar pickers/beggars. Example - Homeless man with cardboard sign, Pedro selling camarones (shrimp), someone else selling onions, and a shriner with a change cup all in one intersection.

-Don Pan "bread restaurants". What are they good for??? They are only in Miami...

-Million dollar mansions built within a block of destitute poverty.

-High frequency of people who "look" like they can't afford the car they are driving.

-Vehicles that are worth less than their own rims and/or sound system. See: Opa Locka.

-Public streets that are blocked due to the extreme wealth of those who live behind the gates. Only in areas of Banana Wealth can the rich "buy" the public right of way. See: Palm, Hibiscus and Star Islands, Sans Souci Estates, Deering Bay. Fisher Island is exempt because it is privately owned.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:32 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiVice1985 View Post

-Concrete and block walls with large steel gates that surround single family homes, not neighborhoods or private golf course communities. We're not talking white picket fences here...

-People who have been in the U.S. more than 10 years and cannot speak any English. Many in Miami have been here for 20 years and can't speak English. Many, 40+ years.

-What are so many Bentleys and AMG series Mercedes doing in a place like Sweetwater?

-Western Unions, bail bond agencies, currency exchanges, cheap bridal botiques...

-Phony post secondary education schools such as Carlos Albizu University where sole purpose is to increase the education of the local non-English fluent population.

-Intersections with multiple dollar pickers/beggars. Example - Homeless man with cardboard sign, Pedro selling camarones (shrimp), someone else selling onions, and a shriner with a change cup all in one intersection.

-Don Pan "bread restaurants". What are they good for??? They are only in Miami...

-High frequency of people who "look" like they can't afford the car they are driving.

-Vehicles that are worth less than their own rims and/or sound system. See: Opa Locka.

-Public streets that are blocked due to the extreme wealth of those who live behind the gates. Only in areas of Banana Wealth can the rich "buy" the public right of way. See: Palm, Hibiscus and Star Islands. Fisher Island is exempt because it is privately owned

We have a lot of this stuff in North Carolina as well - the promised land for Florida malcontents (and malcontents from elsewhere). Does your Banana Wealth thesis apply to Durham, which has lots of poor neighborhoods populated by blacks and Hispanics, and some really very exclusive neighborhoods where, gasp, there are a few wealthy Hispanics? Plenty of people who don't know English too well in Durham, by the way - and elsewhere in NC.

I really don't see your point.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:35 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Guys, please ignore this clown. I think he has had his fun.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneOne View Post
We have a lot of this stuff in North Carolina as well - the promised land for Florida malcontents (and malcontents from elsewhere). Does your Banana Wealth thesis apply to Durham, which has lots of poor neighborhoods populated by blacks and Hispanics, and some really very exclusive neighborhoods where, gasp, there are a few wealthy Hispanics? Plenty of people who don't know English too well in Durham, by the way - and elsewhere in NC.

I really don't see your point.
Durham...
Estimated median household income in 2005: $42,321
Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $157,100

Miami...
Estimated median household income in 2005: $25,211
Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $248,500

Nope, there's way more disparity in Miami. So no, I would have to change my thesis to fit Durham.

I don't know about Spanish in Durham, but I would assume that that the Hispanic influence there is primarily Mexican. City-data.com stated an 8.6% Hispanic percentage of the population, compared to 60+ percent in Miami. I would have to believe that you are misguided as the facts don't support your argument.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Clown ; - ) >>>>>>>>>> Hahahaha you just made my day.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,830 times
Quote:

-Public streets that are blocked due to the extreme wealth of those who live behind the gates. Only in areas of Banana Wealth can the rich "buy" the public right of way. See: Palm, Hibiscus and Star Islands, Sans Souci Estates, Deering Bay. Fisher Island is exempt because it is privately owned.
You pretty much described countless other cities. You should probaly get out more. Only one that probaly is only in Miami but seems more ridiculous than the rest is the Don Pan one, seriously wtf is wrong with a local bakery chain?!? jeez! And I haven't noticed the Tony Montana shirts.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:50 AM

670 posts, read 1,743,195 times
Default You are the first!

Quote:
"Banana Wealth" = Income disparity brought on by a nonexistent middle class, a greed-oriented business acumen, an absence of regulatory oversight, and an overabundance of entrepreneurial immigrants.

A derivative of Banana Republic, which originated nearly 100 years ago to decribe Hunduras. Has anybody thought of this euphemism to depict the economic, social and political situation in Miami or am I the first bloke to coin this term?
No, you are the first Moderator cut: .. to come up with that one.

Last edited by Keeper; 04-18-2008 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: you can say it without name calling.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 PM

I pretty much figured that I was the first. I told a buddy of mine who goes to the Universtiy of Chicago about Banana Wealth; he's trying to build up my thesis over there. I can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami