Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 07:26 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,140,723 times

Advertisements

I can't speak for everyone, but people in Miami are NOT accostumed to leaving their windows open, much less unlocked. Many have bars and security gates around their windows and property also.

Miami might be one of the nation's most crime savy and weary city. People are constatly in a state of paranoia, which is why I think there are so many rude people here...no one trusts anyone (nor should we).

Don't go over board with those stats. After you live here, you will see why your arguments are only valid on paper. The streets here ARE deserted after dark, except for the tourist areas. Downtown, Little Havana, Liberty City, 8 St....all dead at dark. The only people that are out are in cars....and the people on foot are usually drunk or homeless or looking for no good.

If you read the Miami Herald or watched the local news, you would be appauled at the crime that goes on here. Believe me, no one is moaning about cat burglars...we are talking scary random crimes. I know this is hard for you to understand because you are a statistics buff....but like I said, don't look to much into the stats and come down and stay here for a while, get the vibe of the community and read the paper and watch the local news. Then you will understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2006, 08:45 PM

170 posts, read 450,739 times
The main thing is to get a fence around your house and you'll be OK. Our house in Homestead has been broken into several times in the last 10 years yet our fenced-in neighbors never have a problem. So I figure it's because our house doesn't have a fence.

Old 12-25-2006, 11:44 PM

7 posts, read 21,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Well, I wouldn't say that exactly. Much of what is said by those people is real but I don't see justification for the constant bashing. They make it sound like we live in a war zone constantly and it's just not true. You have your bad neighborhoods, you have your low wages, you have your nut cases, you have your many cultures with different principles, priorities; social skills and behavior but, in general, I feel safe and do like it here. I don't go out alone at 10 pm in Liberty City. There are some things you just know not to do. It all depends on lifestyle and lifestyle choices.
I totally agree, lots of crimes are in the I95 NW sections

Old 12-29-2006, 11:26 PM

91 posts, read 152,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
Miami might be one of the nation's most crime savy and weary city. People are constatly in a state of paranoia, which is why I think there are so many rude people here...no one trusts anyone (nor should we).
psssst... think miami is really that bad? try st louis, missouri, or detroit, michigan.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:29 AM

183 posts, read 568,221 times
Quote:
I can't speak for everyone, but people in Miami are NOT accostumed to leaving their windows open, much less unlocked. Many have bars and security gates around their windows and property also.

Don't go over board with those stats. After you live here, you will see why your arguments are only valid on paper. The streets here ARE deserted after dark, except for the tourist areas. Downtown, Little Havana, Liberty City, 8 St....all dead at dark. The only people that are out are in cars....and the people on foot are usually drunk or homeless or looking for no good.

If you read the Miami Herald or watched the local news, you would be appauled at the crime that goes on here. Believe me, no one is moaning about cat burglars...we are talking scary random crimes. I know this is hard for you to understand because you are a statistics buff....but like I said, don't look to much into the stats and come down and stay here for a while, get the vibe of the community and read the paper and watch the local news. Then you will understand.
I would'nt be appalled at Miami crime. Philadelphia has had over 400 murders this year and that's where I live. You can get shot here over a parking space or for looking at someone the wrong way. Yet, I've never seen any of the crime (except for that one burglar), and I live in a regular middle income city neighborhood.
If you only go by the news and not the stats, you will be appalled. Drug dealers and gangs killing each other is not cause for concern in my view. Guys killing prostitutes, as unfortunate as that is, does not pose a threat to me, neither is men killing their wives, ex-wives and girlfriends. Lone women jogging in the park and get raped is not a threat to me. Businesses being robbed and the attendant does not want to hand over the cash and gets shot, is what you would expect to happen. That does not pose a threat to anyone but the not so smart attendant. A guy cuts in front of you with his car and you give him the finger. He pulls up next to you at the traffic light and the argument starts. He pulls out a gun and pops you one. You went looking for a fight and lost. That does not concern me. There are many crime situations that account for much of the crime that will not involve most people.
But, crime reported on television always seem sensational and cause people to be more concerned than the should be, yet they have never been a victim of crime, nor seen a crime being committed. The stats tell what the probability is that you will be a victim of crime. The probability is even lower when you take the normal precautions to wire your house, wire your car, stay away from high crime places, better to take a cab than to drive your own car when going out at night, do not go walking at night in any neighborhood, stay with the crowd in a public park, better to use an in-store ATM than one outside. A criminal can spot a vic a mile off, and they are looking for you.
Play it safe and you won't be a vic.

Old 12-30-2006, 10:17 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,140,723 times
You totally missed the point. All of the crime that you say doesn't affect you CAN affect you. When you go into the store and they happened to get robbed while you are shopping....happened here at Winn Dixie (major supermarket). The WHOLE store was held up. Customers, cashiers, office staff and of course the safe. But I guess you don't go grocery shopping. Guess what, road rage here is unparalled, this will affect yo no matter how much a state of denial you are in. Many people have been shot at or forced into an accident because of some percieved wrong in the mind of a drugged up driver. But I suppose you won't drive either. If you never go to parks, great, you don't have to be worried either. In short, if you plan on moving to Miami, living in a wired, barred fortress and never leaving, sure, Miami is "safe." I am sure so many people relocate to Miami for a nice life inside. You don't even live here and you write as if you have first hand experience with data from the media which you imply does not portray an accurate picture. Please, understand that people do not want to be victims nor live amongst (even though it doesn't directly affect them) crime.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
You totally missed the point. All of the crime that you say doesn't affect you CAN affect you. When you go into the store and they happened to get robbed while you are shopping....happened here at Winn Dixie (major supermarket). The WHOLE store was held up. Customers, cashiers, office staff and of course the safe. But I guess you don't go grocery shopping. Guess what, road rage here is unparalled, this will affect yo no matter how much a state of denial you are in. Many people have been shot at or forced into an accident because of some percieved wrong in the mind of a drugged up driver. But I suppose you won't drive either. If you never go to parks, great, you don't have to be worried either. In short, if you plan on moving to Miami, living in a wired, barred fortress and never leaving, sure, Miami is "safe." I am sure so many people relocate to Miami for a nice life inside. You don't even live here and you write as if you have first hand experience with data from the media which you imply does not portray an accurate picture. Please, understand that people do not want to be victims nor live amongst (even though it doesn't directly affect them) crime.
At some point I will relocate to the Miami area, mainly for the warm weather and the Latin and Caribbean influences there. Thinking about Coral Gables/Coconut Grove area and Aventura. If I don't like it there I'll go to Boca Raton.
In any city zip code is everything as far as crime and quality of life. One must choose carefully.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:36 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,403,465 times

Miami-Dade 88 murders
Broward 95 murders

Old 01-14-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post

Miami-Dade 88 murders
Broward 95 murders
How many of those were in Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Aventura and Boca Raton?

Old 01-14-2007, 06:20 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
In any city zip code is everything as far as crime and quality of life. One must choose carefully.

sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami