Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 10:47 AM

786 posts, read 627,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
UM is not better than anything in the state. More expensive maybe but it isn't near as good a school as UF.

UM is just as good as UF. Both get substantially more press than all the other Florida Universities. Both Universities are the type of schools people go to so they can name drop, their degrees don't hold really any elite pull like Yale or Harvard. Like I said Florida Universities public or private are all pretty good it the public schools that are a shame, and the OP stated they have children who are of age to be subjected to them. People really need to do some critical thinking when assessing posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
As an ex NY’er who still visits, Miami does not have anywhere close to a homeless problem as NYC does nor are our busy streets noticeably lined with garbage bags awaiting pickup. Miami does breed some NY familiarity not only in the form of fellow transplants but also a number of popular NYC area restaurants.

Really depends on ones financial situation and/or career or job situation. If you bring your wealth and/or job with you, Miami will be a good relative bargain with plenty—not all—of the urban cultural amenities you are accustomed to. You will have more non-Hispanic Whites and maybe less “negatives” if you choose to live in more suburban Broward or Palm Beach counties but then you will sacrifice some of the cultural urban amenities you get in Miami. I got bored in suburban SoCal (Orange County and San Diego) which I liken to Broward/Palm Beach and opted for more exciting Miami (urban), but I brought my job and wealth with me and did not have to think about kids. YMMV...good luck.

You have some points, however, if you only "visit" Miami, I highly doubt you have been in the really bad parts where you will encounter true problems. Opa Locka, Brownsville, and Overton (here and there) after dark will remind you of NYC in the 80s. Also NYC is a one of a kind city, people living there have access to far more than any other city. Its a shame for people to find out how limited their options and opportunities are after a relocation, I see this regret far too often.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:59 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
Agree UM and UF are on par (unless we are talking Med School) and only have regional, not national clout. Just because someone goes to high school here does not mean their college choices are restricted to FL universities nor prevent all from being accepted to elite, out of state national universities.. I attend (or did, pre-Covid) local, quarterly Ivy League mixers with fellow alumni that often have prospective undergrad and graduate students from the area in attendance as but one example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfenn006 View Post
UM is just as good as UF. Both get substantially more press than all the other Florida Universities. Both Universities are the type of schools people go to so they can name drop, their degrees don't hold really any elite pull like Yale or Harvard. Like I said Florida Universities public or private are all pretty good it the public schools that are a shame, and the OP stated they have children who are of age to be subjected to them. People really need to do some critical thinking when assessing posts.

Last edited by elchevere; 09-16-2020 at 11:19 AM..

Old 09-16-2020, 11:50 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,556,774 times
that is true, I have not spent much time in those areas aside from visiting E11even and the now, unfortunately, closed Fooq's; the sad part of NYC is that one does not necessarily need to go to bad parts to witness homeless or the trash bags lined in front of store fronts up and down the streets. I was shocked at all the trash on the streets between Union Square, Nolita and Greenwich Village during a visit within the past year. Looked like NYC was regressing.

Nobody should mistake Miami for NYC (even though the Brickell section of Miami reminds me a little of the Battery Park section of lower Manhattan). That being said, Miami/SoFla has had historical ties to the NY metro area over the years-- more so in the past as a retirement option for most but recently as more of a year round destination with more--if still only a fraction--of opportunities, though it depends upon one's chosen career path and/or ability to reinvent themselves. It is not for everyone and one's financial situation and expectations need to be in order before making the move here pre-retirement. The mindset is easier to adapt to for many NY'ers since Miami still has that East coast vibe (due to the fact there are quite a few NY transplants here) complete with faster pace, frustrations, directness, traffic, many cosmopolitan amenities, etc.

No matter which city one relocates to never move there without bringing your job or having a solid job offer in hand. Though I have been here for only 4 years I can already feel developing roots as opposed to other areas of the country (i.e. SoCal) where everything felt transient and almost "Groundhog Day" like.....Miami has enough of an urban environment to satisfy my needs whereas Broward and Palm Beach have more of a suburban Long Island or Northern NJ feel for those who prefer that instead....(and OT but for urban Californians, South Beach feels a little like Santa Monica).

Quote:
You have some points, however, if you only "visit" Miami, I highly doubt you have been in the really bad parts where you will encounter true problems. Opa Locka, Brownsville, and Overton (here and there) after dark will remind you of NYC in the 80s. Also NYC is a one of a kind city, people living there have access to far more than any other city. Its a shame for people to find out how limited their options and opportunities are after a relocation, I see this regret far too often.

Last edited by elchevere; 09-16-2020 at 12:14 PM..

Old 09-16-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Agree UM and UF are on par (unless we are talking Med School) and only have regional, not national clout. Just because someone goes to high school here does not mean their college choices are restricted to FL universities nor prevent all from being accepted to elite, out of state national universities.. I attend (or did, pre-Covid) local, quarterly Ivy League mixers with fellow alumni that often have prospective undergrad and graduate students from the area in attendance as but one example.

Copy that.
My point is the Universities even Community Colleges in Florida are pretty good, the standards and quality of educators are actually pretty good to elite at the college level. I had some amazing professors who held multiple masters and PHDs in the field they were teaching at Valencia which was a Community College. They mainly teach online, don't live in the state, and either teach at higher Universities or run their own business and teach on the side. Education is what you make of it, and who you network with sometimes... I made sure I was added in their LinkedIn Networks before finals, it pays off.

High School on the other hand, I had a science teacher who didn't speak English and had to ask students to translate for him, had a history teach who said "If you show up, don't cause trouble you'll get a B. Do the work and you'll get an A..." the ones that didn't show up even passed, he said on the final day he didn't want to deal with us next year so we all pass. Looking I can see how beaten down and unmotivated these teachers are. Maybe teaching improved, but their conditions haven't, I bartended with so many Masters Degree holding Educators in the public schools, and the stories they tell, well rival what I've heard in the Beer League Locker Room. Pure insanity.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:52 PM

1,049 posts, read 961,612 times
Quote:
Copy that.
My point is the Universities even Community Colleges in Florida are pretty good, the standards and quality of educators are actually pretty good to elite at the college level. I had some amazing professors who held multiple masters and PHDs in the field they were teaching at Valencia which was a Community College. They mainly teach online, don't live in the state, and either teach at higher Universities or run their own business and teach on the side. Education is what you make of it, and who you network with sometimes... I made sure I was added in their LinkedIn Networks before finals, it pays off.

High School on the other hand, I had a science teacher who didn't speak English and had to ask students to translate for him, had a history teach who said "If you show up, don't cause trouble you'll get a B. Do the work and you'll get an A..." the ones that didn't show up even passed, he said on the final day he didn't want to deal with us next year so we all pass. Looking I can see how beaten down and unmotivated these teachers are. Maybe teaching improved, but their conditions haven't, I bartended with so many Masters Degree holding Educators in the public schools, and the stories they tell, well rival what I've heard in the Beer League Locker Room. Pure insanity.
Yup, universities in South Florida are definitely not the issue. The major public university in Miami, FIU, is consistently ranked high for its business programs. UM is one of the best, if not THE best, private institutions in the state. FAU in Boca is also ranked high in business and accounting programs. So there's nothing wrong at the university level.

The issue is at the High School and Grade School level down here. Are there some great high schools down here? Absolutely. But there are A LOT of below-average schools in the area, and the general sense is that they seem to be declining. It's not just here though, it's all over the state and even the country. Teachers are not paid as well as they should, and thus will not put forth the extra effort. Also the curriculums need reform and the grading metrics looked at because that's also a problem with our schools.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongStreet View Post
Yup, universities in South Florida are definitely not the issue. The major public university in Miami, FIU, is consistently ranked high for its business programs. UM is one of the best, if not THE best, private institutions in the state. FAU in Boca is also ranked high in business and accounting programs. So there's nothing wrong at the university level.

The issue is at the High School and Grade School level down here. Are there some great high schools down here? Absolutely. But there are A LOT of below-average schools in the area, and the general sense is that they seem to be declining. It's not just here though, it's all over the state and even the country. Teachers are not paid as well as they should, and thus will not put forth the extra effort. Also the curriculums need reform and the grading metrics looked at because that's also a problem with our schools.

Yes. Yes. Yes.
What I have been saying all along about public education here. Unmotivated teachers, they spend 4 plus years to share a passion and incurred massive debt to do so, only to end up earning less than taking their dinner order at Chili's. Devalue the people who are educating the next generation and imagine what the future looks like... but hey you are paying less taxes than every other state. You get what you pay for.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:29 AM

79 posts, read 35,473 times
Quote:
Ive been through the Orange County School system it was a joke. You clearly have no concept of a quality public education if that's your standard. Sorry. Transplants from the North East will not find it acceptable.
You have no concept on this at all. It’s obvious to me that you are not intelligent. It’s not my standard, it’s the DOE’s. You ever heard of I-Ready? I work as an education consultant and sales rep throughout all of Florida helping each district that purchases our products assimilate and best utilize the instructional tools we provide for them. OCPS is one of the highest-ranked large districts. Both OCPS and Miami-Dade are A-ranked districts according to the FLDOE, but the last time I was in south Florida 2 years ago, the education officials specifically discussed how to get their middle school achievement, innovation in using technology, and graduation rates to mirror OCPS.

Get a clue and an education and try again.

Last edited by rlundi86; 09-19-2020 at 05:49 AM..

Old 09-19-2020, 05:36 AM

79 posts, read 35,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Do you have data on this?

US News & World Report consistently has Miami/Broward schools dominating the top 10 and top 20 lists. In fact, I think Miami has 7 of the top 10 in the state (and not all private).

However if OP wants Private, nothing compares to the Miami/Broward schools for exactly the reason you mentioned.

But if they want to live in Orlando and can afford it, then of course Windermere and Lake Nona would be a suburb for them. But then again NY has great suburbs as well with great schools. If its a lifestyle change, Miami or Broward would be the option. You could live in Parkland and have a great school (yes the school with the horrendous shooting is a top school in the region) and not have to pay for private school.

I have not seen anything that ranks Orange County schools as a top district. Its a solid district, don't get me wrong. But I grew up in that area, there is a reason houses in Seminole were more desirable than Orange (outside of the Windermere type pockets I mentioned).
US News and World report is akin to wallethub lists when comparing schools and/or districts: completely useless. The better indicator is Florida Department of Education, which focuses on 6 major criteria for comparing school districts. It’s not perfect, but it’s FAR more relevant and apples-to-apples, and the DOE is much more involved stakeholder than a .com site.

Old 09-19-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlundi86 View Post
You have no concept on this at all. It’s obvious to me that you are not intelligent. It’s not my standard, it’s the DOE’s. You ever heard of I-Ready? I work as an education consultant and sales rep throughout all of Florida helping each district that purchases our products assimilate and best utilize the instructional tools we provide for them. OCPS is one of the highest-ranked large districts. Both OCPS and Miami-Dade are A-ranked districts according to the FLDOE, but the last time I was in south Florida 2 years ago, the education officials specifically discussed how to get their middle school achievement, innovation in using technology, and graduation rates to mirror OCPS.

Get a clue and an education and try again.

So you are trying to "educate us" on FLORIDA PUBLIC SCHOOL quality based on FLORIDA PUBLIC SCHOOL marketing... you are really full of it. In a very comical way, nice try though. What else would we expect from a "sales guy"

Got any more lemons on that used car lot to sell us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami