Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2020, 07:10 AM

14 posts, read 13,225 times

Advertisements

Looking for a place to live. Help us choose an area.

Husband works in downtown Miami
Wife works in downtown Ft. Lauderdale
One elementary school-aged child
Wife’s spanish is horrible (and she’ll never learn), child doesn’t speak it at all
Budget for renting is up to 3500
Would like to have interesting things to do on the weekend (food, parks, shopping) without driving more than 20 minutes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 09:45 AM

3,237 posts, read 3,196,331 times
A couple of possible midway points between the two downtowns would be western Pembroke Pines and Miami Lakes.

Old 12-08-2020, 04:42 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenope View Post

Wife’s spanish is horrible (and she’ll never learn), child doesn’t speak it at all
Would like to have interesting things to do on the weekend (food, parks, shopping) without driving more than 20 minutes
I'd live in Victoria Park and take the Brightline to work in downtown Miami every day. Virginia Shuman Young is a public montessori school in Victoria Park.

No reason for you both to have to commute.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:58 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenope View Post

I think you may want to look in Aventura, it is half way between Fort Lauderdale and Miami, and is very nice, although congested. I think they were planning to open a Brightline station in Aventura too.

But Victoria Park (which is practically on top of the downtown Fort Lauderdale) is a good suggestion too, and is a great place to live.

Another option is the new construction luxury apartment buildings near the downtown Fort Lauderdale - Laureat, Alluvion, Amaray, Icon, Las Olas Walk, The Rise, Pearl, The Whitney, etc... Lots of amenities and newly built, and within walking/scootering distance from the Brightline train station. The train takes 30 minutes to downtown Miami.

Last edited by ruski; 12-08-2020 at 08:06 PM..

Old 12-09-2020, 07:04 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,356,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I'd live in Victoria Park and take the Brightline to work in downtown Miami every day. Virginia Shuman Young is a public montessori school in Victoria Park.

No reason for you both to have to commute.
I agree completely. The meet halfway thing is overrated. Why make 2 people commute in crappy Miami traffic just to make it 'fair' for both .One person can suffer for the good of the family. Driving from Downtown to Ft Lauderdale would probably have less traffic so it sounds like the husband has to sacrifice. Bribe him with a nicer car or something.

Otherwise, the brightline thing is perfect. Its a little pricey, but he can take a 'luxury' train into work each day, get work done, relax, eat breakfast on the train, etc. And wife doesn't have to commute and you can live in an area where Spanish isn't a problem.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:23 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
I wouldn't live "in between" - that just means a crap commute for both. I'd go with BlueHerons suggestion and live in Ft Lauderdale near the Brightline and just take the train to Miami. And as Marc said, Spanish isn't an issue in Fort Lauderdale either.

That's basically what these trains exist for I'd maybe even enjoy such a commute. It's an express train, high speed, not a bunch of stops. It's really nice and lands you in downtown Miami. Way better than driving. It's about the same as a car payment. I'd even consider just having 1 car in that situation as well, as wife could Uber or bicycle to work if husband needed car on occasion.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:49 PM

18 posts, read 12,989 times
Go for Miami Lakes. The neighborhood is tranquil. It's close to Pembroke Pines and close to Miami if you also want to go to other areas there. Miami Lakes has a large community of Caucasians if one is afraid of hispanics and just doesn't want to deal with different cultures. It is also safe. You get the best of both worlds.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:57 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivaltolife1234 View Post
Go for Miami Lakes. The neighborhood is tranquil. It's close to Pembroke Pines and close to Miami if you also want to go to other areas there. Miami Lakes has a large community of Caucasians if one is afraid of hispanics and just doesn't want to deal with different cultures. It is also safe. You get the best of both worlds.
Commute from Miami Lakes to Fort Lauderdale would be very annoying. Driving to downtown Miami would be pretty crazy too.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:20 AM

14 posts, read 13,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivaltolife1234 View Post
"afraid of hispanics" LOL. It doesn't matter to her as I am hispanic. My wife is biracial and not caucasian. She just doesn't want to learn spanish, simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami