Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:07 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin Darlin' View Post
Who cares about UM's school of music, honestly? That's the least important dept. of any university... When I went to FIU I had a prof. from Harvard and one from MIT, boo hoo...

I just named one of many programs that UM has better than FIU. You just picked out one from my list... There is no way FIU gives the same opportunity for undergrad research and internships. I can gurantee the job prospects for UM will outnumber FIU.. no one outside of SoFla will know what FIU is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 08:29 PM

44 posts, read 49,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I just named one of many programs that UM has better than FIU. You just picked out one from my list... There is no way FIU gives the same opportunity for undergrad research and internships. I can gurantee the job prospects for UM will outnumber FIU.. no one outside of SoFla will know what FIU is.
Yea, that's true. But you have to remember that state schools aren't geared towards research as much as private schools. UM and other private schools have a disproportionate number of graduate students, as well as a disproportionate amount of spending on graduate and post graduate endeavors compared to state schools. The emphasis in Coral Gables is their precious grad and Ph.D students. In the realm of undergraduate degrees, FIU, UF, UCF, and FSU have more resources and more opportunities for undergrads. UMiami might offer French 1,2,3,4, -----while FIU will offer French 1,2,3,4, French for Native Speakers 1,2,3,4, French Creole 1,2,3,4 and so fourth... More choices, right?

Old 05-11-2008, 08:33 PM

However, I think FIU has a lot of room to grow as a research U.... Look at UF, it has $1.2 billion in endowment, that's double what UM gets. FIU still rests at $98 mil, but like everything else in the magic city, that figure is likely to grow a lot faster over the coming years, maybe eclipsing UM's endowment by 2020. FIU is growing like a friggin weed.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:36 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Well as a biochemistry major, I chose what was best for me. I chose a school where I can get a good education and have a lot of opportunity for undergrad research and internships. If you want to talk about Frost school of music.. then I'm going to bring up the fact about who the heck cares about French for native speakers vs French 1,2,3,4.. I know I sure don't! It doesn't pertain to me... For all I know UM does offer it, but I don't care enough to look :P

Old 05-11-2008, 08:49 PM

Point taken burglar. Dont steal anything tonight...

Old 05-13-2008, 01:11 PM

90 posts, read 352,968 times
[quote=Marlin Darlin';3733572]That's not a fact, that's your opinion. If that was true, don't you think the price of gas would be going the opposite direction?

Do be blind and dont think your government does everything for your benefit.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:49 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TannerMan View Post
The Orange Bowl while im sure native Miamians and even people abroad loved, it was stinky, ugly, unflattering, and used 6 times a year. As a baseball fan I can't wait till theres one here, I know alot of people here hate it just by the fact that the city and county are partly funding it, but alot of you probaly haven't been to a baseball game in a football stadium. Im one that thinks every city needs a baseball stadium, im sure alot of you also dont think so but im not here to change some of your minds. (btw im a Giants fan)

And someone mentioned the Heat as having bad attendance, even with what is probaly their worst season ever they still ranked on top when it came to attendance actually 8th out of 30 teams, exremely good for a miserable season.
I actually went to many Marlins games when I was younger, so yes, I can understand the sentiment about playing baseball in a football stadium. I am just questioning what seems to be the logic behind this baseball stadium: that the Marlins' suffering attendance rates are due to the stadium. The point is, a stadium alone is not going to increase interest.

As for the Heat, people are still coming down off of a National Championship high. The experience I was referring to was back in 2002 or 2003 when things hadn't been so 'hot' for a while. Everyone was a Marlins fan when they went to the World Series, but not so much now, or before that season for that matter. I'm sorry, but no one can tell me that sports fans in Miami are not fair-weather fans (with the exception of the Dolphins, maybe). And for the record, UM fans are probably the worst at this! I have never experienced college football fans boo their own team other than UM, and at the Orange Bowl no less. Most college fans love their team no matter what. Sheesh.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:20 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,830 times
Oh believe me I was never denying fans here not being fair-weather.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:20 PM

546 posts, read 2,147,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I actually went to many Marlins games when I was younger, so yes, I can understand the sentiment about playing baseball in a football stadium. I am just questioning what seems to be the logic behind this baseball stadium: that the Marlins' suffering attendance rates are due to the stadium. The point is, a stadium alone is not going to increase interest.

As for the Heat, people are still coming down off of a National Championship high. The experience I was referring to was back in 2002 or 2003 when things hadn't been so 'hot' for a while. Everyone was a Marlins fan when they went to the World Series, but not so much now, or before that season for that matter. I'm sorry, but no one can tell me that sports fans in Miami are not fair-weather fans (with the exception of the Dolphins, maybe). And for the record, UM fans are probably the worst at this! I have never experienced college football fans boo their own team other than UM, and at the Orange Bowl no less. Most college fans love their team no matter what. Sheesh.
Miami fans are just like fans anywhere else. When the teams are winning consistently, they attend. When they are losing, they lose interest. When the Yankees were stinking it up in NY during the 80's no one was showing up. Look at the NBA and the Cleveland Cavaliers, no one was paying for tickets when they weren't making the playoffs...now Lebron is there and Cavs are in the playoffs and there's not an empty seat in the house. Fairweather fans is not something that is unique to Miami. And real UM fans don't care about the tuition and the politics that is affiliated with UM, UM was the first college football team from Miami that had us all watching and rooting for them. No one has to go to UM to be a fan, poor and rich alike that's who we were talking about and watching on Saturday afternoons. UM also drafts heavily from Miami and alot of local high school standouts end up there so it even sparks more interest from us locals.

As far as the Orange Bowl goes, yeah it is sad that it is being demolished but it's an old structure that needed to go. I don't agree with the logic behind it, but it was outdated. Just like Yankee stadium and Shea stadium (both are being demolished after this season) it was an eyesore and it was somewhat overdue in my opinion.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:05 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
II am just questioning what seems to be the logic behind this baseball stadium: that the Marlins' suffering attendance rates are due to the stadium. The point is, a stadium alone is not going to increase interest.
Agreed. A baseball-friendly retractable-roof ballpark that eliminates excessive heat and rain delays will help, but won't be a cure-all for attendance woes. If the Marlins produce winning teams, make ticket prices in the new stadium affordable for the average family, and stop dismantling the roster every three years or so, attendance probably will increase. But with a mediocre, overpriced product, it won't matter nice the ballpark is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami