Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2021, 05:48 PM

6 posts, read 10,700 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am yet another northerner looking to move down to the Miami area. Specifically looking in the Brickell, Edgewater, and Downtown areas. Currently leaning towards Edgewater for bang for buck.

One of my biggest questions is where one would go in order to research buildings. Is there a website that is like a golden source for researching buildings, amenities, pros/cons, etc? Something that gives me more than just "pool, valet, etc." such as "this is a hotel building, and because of that the valet is often 20 minutes and sucks!"

Just seem to be so many options, and I'm quickly getting overwhelmed.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 07:12 AM

126 posts, read 219,612 times
https://www.miamicondoinvestments.com/condo-rankings

I am also a person who relocated from the northeast. I had planned to move to Miami for years but my job situation did not allow for it until retirement. I retired a couple years ago and moved to Coral Gables last year. During my research I used the site associated with the link above. I believe it is a good starting point but I found that more research may be needed as some of the smaller buildings may not be included.

I looked at all three areas the OP listed and then some. I believe that there is a reason that Edgewater is a good "bang for the buck". I visited there multiple times but decided to drop it from my short list at the time. While the immediate area along the bay is beautiful and suitable for walking and other outdoor activities once you get a block or two away the area has a lot to be desired. While the promise of more construction and updating has been discussed for years it is very slow to materialize. If you continue with your pursuit of Edgewater I would recommend checking out the surrounding areas to make sure it's acceptable to you.

I'm sure some of the real estate professionals will weigh in but I hope this will help you to at least get started.

Last edited by jr8999; 01-01-2022 at 07:31 AM..

Old 01-01-2022, 05:25 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times
IF you're renting - you need to go see the areas. The same if you're buying but google Rising Oceans Miami - I was looking for stuff at least 5 feet above sea level.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:48 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr8999 View Post
https://www.miamicondoinvestments.com/condo-rankings

I am also a person who relocated from the northeast. I had planned to move to Miami for years but my job situation did not allow for it until retirement. I retired a couple years ago and moved to Coral Gables last year. During my research I used the site associated with the link above. I believe it is a good starting point but I found that more research may be needed as some of the smaller buildings may not be included.

I looked at all three areas the OP listed and then some. I believe that there is a reason that Edgewater is a good "bang for the buck". I visited there multiple times but decided to drop it from my short list at the time. While the immediate area along the bay is beautiful and suitable for walking and other outdoor activities once you get a block or two away the area has a lot to be desired. While the promise of more construction and updating has been discussed for years it is very slow to materialize. If you continue with your pursuit of Edgewater I would recommend checking out the surrounding areas to make sure it's acceptable to you.

I'm sure some of the real estate professionals will weigh in but I hope this will help you to at least get started.
I have my own real estate website and it PALES in comparison to what the good folks at Condo Investments has put together over the years. Great site for data/research. Not so much for reviews - you can try review type websites like Yelp or something, but take them with a grain of salt. Only negative people post reviews of their buildings usually

If you have specific buildings you're wondering/worried about, feel free to PM me or post them here. I have lots of contacts I can put you in touch with to hear about their experiences.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:18 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekson View Post
Hi all,

I am yet another northerner looking to move down to the Miami area. Specifically looking in the Brickell, Edgewater, and Downtown areas. Currently leaning towards Edgewater for bang for buck.

One of my biggest questions is where one would go in order to research buildings. Is there a website that is like a golden source for researching buildings, amenities, pros/cons, etc? Something that gives me more than just "pool, valet, etc." such as "this is a hotel building, and because of that the valet is often 20 minutes and sucks!"

Just seem to be so many options, and I'm quickly getting overwhelmed.

Thanks!

What's your age, and what do you like to do? I moved down from NYC recently. I have spent many months down here exploring all the nabes. I ultimately settled on Edgewater. I would recommend renting first. If you're renting I would recommend Brickell or Midtown. At least you'd have walkability and you can then figure out ultimately which nabes you like the best. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2022, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
What's your age, and what do you like to do? I moved down from NYC recently. I have spent many months down here exploring all the nabes. I ultimately settled on Edgewater. I would recommend renting first. If you're renting I would recommend Brickell or Midtown. At least you'd have walkability and you can then figure out ultimately which nabes you like the best. Good luck!
I know I'm coming back to this pretty late - so sorry for the delay.

I'm in my early 30s, married with a toddler. I'm leaning heavily towards Edgewater, specifically near Margaret Pace Park (i.e. Aria, Quantum) and possibly downtown along the River.

Old 02-04-2022, 10:41 AM

2,128 posts, read 2,353,654 times
Quote:
I know I'm coming back to this pretty late - so sorry for the delay.

I'm in my early 30s, married with a toddler. I'm leaning heavily towards Edgewater, specifically near Margaret Pace Park (i.e. Aria, Quantum) and possibly downtown along the River.
Margaret Pace park over downtown by 1000% - your wife will thank me later! If you had school age kids, then you'd need to go further north or west but for now, edgwater is great for a toddler and that park as well as walk to Publix. Downtown is much too hectic for a toddler, we moved immediately once my wife was pregnant with ours and were so thankful we did..

I love Pace park, played lots of beach vball there over the years in the weekend and evening leagues!

Old 02-07-2022, 08:53 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Middleton View Post
Margaret Pace park over downtown by 1000% - your wife will thank me later! If you had school age kids, then you'd need to go further north or west but for now, edgewater is great for a toddler and that park as well as walk to Publix. Downtown is much too hectic for a toddler, we moved immediately once my wife was pregnant with ours and were so thankful we did..

I love Pace park, played lots of beach vball there over the years in the weekend and evening leagues!
Agree on Margaret Pace Park. I recently moved from the NY area to Midtown/Edgewater. There are lots of things to do in this area. More so than in Downtown IMO. There's a Traders Joe opening soon in Midtown and in another year a Whole Foods Market Place on Biscayne will be opening as well. Main issue with this location is traffic around the 36th Street intersection. It's pretty bad. Otherwise I find this location best for my needs.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:59 PM

Appreciate the feedback. We've decided on Edgewater, specifically the Aria on the Bay building. It seems like most of the condos in that Edgewater area are super overpriced right now. Aria for example, comps average mid $500's /sq ft, but everything I'm targeting is listed at $610+. The units we're targeting have been sitting for months on the MLS, and yet still the owners don't want to negotiate even a little.

Now I need to look into my crystal ball to see if they will win or lose by waiting longer with this market. Age old question, will values come down with increasing interest rates, or will they go up with continued demand?

Old 02-09-2022, 06:53 AM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
Nothing goes up forever…even California—which has been a far more stable and rising real estate market than Miami—has had corrections nor when NYC went through rough periods (1970’s, 9-11, 2008) did it stay down forever.

Nothing wrong with renting first (even with prices high as they are now) to make sure the building and area you have your heart set on are somewhere you plan on living for at least 8-10 years before committing to a purchase.

As I stated in another thread, stocks are priced for future future activity whereas real estate is a lagging indicator--did people refinance last decade before interest rates went down?...no....it will take awhile for real estate to adjust even after the first few interest rate hikes.

Quote:
Appreciate the feedback. We've decided on Edgewater, specifically the Aria on the Bay building. It seems like most of the condos in that Edgewater area are super overpriced right now. Aria for example, comps average mid $500's /sq ft, but everything I'm targeting is listed at $610+. The units we're targeting have been sitting for months on the MLS, and yet still the owners don't want to negotiate even a little.

Now I need to look into my crystal ball to see if they will win or lose by waiting longer with this market. Age old question, will values come down with increasing interest rates, or will they go up with continued demand?

Last edited by elchevere; 02-09-2022 at 08:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami