Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:14 AM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times

Advertisements

Well, I wasn't speaking about complainers. What I was trying to say was that I doubt no one speaks English in Miami based upon the amount of people blogging here who type English and live in Miami.

I sense you are quite irritated with Miami and probably me (because I want to move there from Colo.??) and I suppose I'm sorry you are in that state. If I'm wrong about that, then sorry too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Wow that's deep, you're right... I said ALL OF MIAMI, every single solitary person without exception and I took a personal door to door survey of all of them, too.

Take you're pick of other imaginary complainers:

In Miami, Spanish becoming primary language - Life - MSNBC.com

What I Meant by 'Third World' Miami - HUMAN EVENTS

26th Parallel: Spanish and English in Miami

Miami's Spanish-Speaking Population Outnumber English Speakers - The Huffington Post

Mary Bravo, a 37-year-old Venezuelan business owner, moved to Miami nine years ago. She understands English but only speaks a little.
"This land is theirs. We should try to speak English," she said, "but they don't even try to understand us."

1993:

Repeal Is Likely for 'English Only' Policy in Miami - New York Times

But no, really, thanks for your input. Let everyone know if you ever leave Colorado and come here what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 09:45 AM

551 posts, read 3,123,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Illini: I remember talking to you a few months ago maybe? I thought it was you, but I could be wrong, that posted that you were out of there? I thought you had already moved. Seems like you are from Chicago and are youngish. Is that you?

BTW: If you don't like cost of living in Miami, I wouldn't suggest San Francisco. It's crazy high in cost in everything, including taxes. The language barrier is something I come across in any coastal city. The people in L.A. complain about the Mexicans, people in Miami complain about the Cubans and other spanish speakers. It's pretty ironic. Try visiting those forums and you'll see what I mean. Good luck to you anyway!
You remember correctly, wanttomoveeast I am still leaving Miami--actually next week.

I don't really mind the high cost of living in a city, as long as I'm getting something in return. My complaint about Miami is that the cost of living is high, but the quality of life here is a lot poorer than many of the other places I have lived. It's hard to understand what exactly I'm paying for. San Francisco is notoriously expensive, but it has one of the best qualities of life in the U.S. Also, the jobs (at least looking around in my field) literally pay about double what they pay here. Who knows though--it's hard to uncover the bad things about a city until you actually live there for awhile. A week-long vacation definitely can't reflect quality of life in any way. It sure seems like San Franciscans love their city though!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:10 AM

Hi Illini84: Yeah, San Fran is wonderful. Although pitfalls just the same.

So what made you want to move to Florida? Was it the allure of the warm weather? Last winter here in Colo., someone said, geez, this is why I moved away from Chicago! We had a long bout of freezing below temps weather.

What field are you in? I understand that salaries are quite a bit lower across the board in Miami vs. other cities.

Someone I just met this weekend lived for some time in Miami. She said, well, in Calif. they are taxed out of the kazoo, but they see the result of their taxes. She said that in comparison, in Miami she couldn't figure out where all the taxes were going, except for in someone's pockets. We talked to her and her husband for a long time, and they both think that Miami is a good fit for us given our stances.

Old 07-15-2008, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 9,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaK View Post
Nooooooooo way. I'm from Marin county, and I moved to the Coral Gables
area which is nice but in no way compares to anything in California. Miami
is a city of its own. My first few days here were a great learning
experience. Sadly to me Miami doesn't feel like a civilized United States
city. There's a lot of diversity, and I thought for a while that was going
to be a good thing, but it wasn't. People don't speak English, they don't
know how to drive. I thought they were "RUDE" drivers, but I realized
at the beggining that the real problem is that they don't know the laws,
and or know how to properly drive a vehicle. I've gone to really nice
restaurants and to fast food restaurants, and 75% of the time they
have served me the wrong thing. One time it took me 30mins to find
an atm at a local mall because no one knew what it was or what I was
asking for, and I speak fluent Spanish (I'm Hispanic myself). It's a different
world for sure out here, and it sure feels like a 3rd world country. Yes,
you do see the ocassional nice car, and such, but we have that in
California and a lot more. Miami's overall customer service to the public
is HORRENDOUS. Weather is fine most of the time, I still haven't
experience a hurricane season, but I guess I will this year. I've only been
a few months here btw. Finding a job is another problem, it doesn't matter
the level of education you have, or the experience, I guess most of it
is "Who you know", so it is very hard to find a good job, at least from
my experience. Overall I dislike it very much, but hopefully in the future
I will be moving out of here and back to Cali.

This just about sums it up. My husband was born and raised in Miami. I lived there for 2 years with him and I hated it for all the reasons above. Unfortunately, I was down there during the two worst hurricane seasons in recent history. I got to experience Katrina, Wilma, and Rita. We were gone by the next year.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:18 PM

36 posts, read 111,239 times
Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio View Post
NO!!!! STAY AWAY!!!

So far everyone has replied with the truth here. But soon you will have all the heads buried in the sand telling you how it’s not that bad. And, how it’s just as bad everywhere else. ITS NOT!!!

Miami is a cesspool!!! I couldn’t stress it to you enough!!

My fiancée who is from Arkansas and has travelled frequently, took a trip to Miami with me a year ago and she said she would never live there and can’t imagine how people do. And she is from Arkansas!!!

If you can’t stand ignorance and people out to prove themselves, then Miami is 100% not for you. The levels of ignorance are astronomical down there. And everyone lives on food stamps but wants to wear Gucci and drive Hummers.

As far as culture, forget it. It’s nonexistent and most of these refugees think Scarface was a foreign film.

Miami is nowhere in the class of cities like San Francisco, LA, NY, Chicago, Philly, Boston, etc. It thinks it is, but its not. It tears down all its historical sites, ignores the needs of the people and they think because all the corrupt politicians have taken kickbacks and allowed the skyline to be overrun with cookie cutter condos that Miami is "world-class". It’s a small, yes; I said it, small city with no history, no transportation and no city planning. Its garbage, plain and simple.

a1chapina, take it from a former 37 year Miami resident. Either stay where you are, or find somewhere else to go. If you want to see for yourself, take a trip down in August. See how pretty the 90% humidity is and how great the driving is. Stay for a few days and don’t do all the tourist things like South Beach. No, drive around town. Avoid the bad areas, which are tough because none of it is great, and just see how it would be to live there when you’re not on vacation. And hope you don’t get a hurricane. I have lived through several and don’t live there partly because of it now. After all that, then decide.

Good luck.
All True, and I mostly agree with this statement:
"If you can’t stand ignorance and people out to prove themselves, then Miami is 100% not for you. The levels of ignorance are astronomical down there. And everyone lives on food stamps but wants to wear Gucci and drive Hummers."

Old 07-16-2008, 02:29 PM

710 posts, read 2,234,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytwice View Post
All True, and I mostly agree with this statement:
"If you can’t stand ignorance and people out to prove themselves, then Miami is 100% not for you. The levels of ignorance are astronomical down there. And everyone lives on food stamps but wants to wear Gucci and drive Hummers."
Sorry, but that is just such sterotypical crap.

Other than your ignorance on the subject (EVERYONE on food stamps?? Really, everyone?), that's just wrong, wrong, wrong.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:12 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,964,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post

Other than your ignorance on the subject (EVERYONE on food stamps?? Really, everyone?), that's just wrong, wrong, wrong.

LOL i was going to point that out but you got it....

Old 07-16-2008, 04:37 PM

phew thanks for the reality check guys. Seriously though, if I want to see reality and not daydream about moving to Miami, I come here. Otherwise, I day dream. Or I do hard research like job hunting, google mapping, cost of living calculators. : )

Old 07-26-2008, 02:28 AM

90 posts, read 353,075 times
Default Gee sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetsurf View Post

Gee, did I hurt your feelings Planet? Are you on food stamps and dont drive a hummer? Ok, your right, not everyone who lives on food stamps wants to wear Gucci and drive Hummers. Some of them cant afford more than a BMW or a Mercedes.

Dont give me all that crap about "stereotypical"!

I lived there for 37 years and saw it day in and day out. It might not be every single person living down there, but its a much higher percentage of the population than anywhere else. The morals and values of these people is part of the reason Miami is a cesspool full of one scam after the other. Everyone is always trying to get one over on you and you always have to be on guard.

And please, dont tell me that its like that everywhere. The levels of scum and garbage living down there are way above anywhere else in the country. Miami-Dade has what, two million people? What percentage of those people are hard working people that would still walk over their mothers for a penny so they could buy that coach bag and stuff it full of sugar packets at Dennys?

I might have generalized my statement but it not far from the truth. The next time you see some genius driving around in a Hummer with huge rims and bass blasting out of his radio why dont you ask him what he does for a living. From my own experience, i will tell you that nine out of ten times he probably just got here from somewhere in South America, works at some warehouse moving boxes for 10 bucks an hour and lives with mommy. And she probably lives on food stamps so junior can eat!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:53 AM

69 posts, read 178,694 times
Well, I'm bumping this thread because after almost 2 yrs in this $hit hole called Miami, I only have a couple of months left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm static. I'm going back to the 1st
world, the promised land, my home, California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami