Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:17 PM

65 posts, read 251,151 times

Advertisements

There is disagreement on this forum about the extent of the crime problem in Miami. I was reading another thread recently where some were saying that the image of Miami as the crime capital of America was an outdated relic of the 1980's Cocaine Cowboys and Miami Vice image. But is that really true?

I read the local news in Miami even though I am not from the area, and it seems that stuff happens in Miami that would never or almost never happen anywhere else in America. And not only does this stuff happen, but it happens routinely. It goes way beyond the average drive-by shooting in a bad neighborhood that we get all the time in California. Things happen in Miami that shock the conscience. And the crimes are not just confined to the bad areas or the people who lived a high-risk lifestyle (prostitutes, runaways, etc.).

Case in point: 21 year old UM student Eddie Pieron was found murdered, lying in a pool of blood two days ago. There is no information as of yet on a motive or a suspect. Can anyone on this board honestly tell me that the crime in Miami is just like any other big city when something like this happens? Because this kind of thing just doesn't seem to happen anywhere other than Miami. Bright young wealthy college kids with their whole lives ahead of them don't go around getting brutally murdered in other cities. N.Y, L.A., Chicago - this stuff just doesn't happen there. It only happens in Miami. And it happens regularly in Miami.

UM student found slain in home was 21 - 07/07/2008 - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking_dade/story/596194.html - broken link)

So let's have a discussion - is anyone going to defend the proposition that crime in Miami is just like other big U.S. cities? And if so then on what basis do you make that claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:40 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowTraveler View Post
There is disagreement on this forum about the extent of the crime problem in Miami. I was reading another thread recently where some were saying that the image of Miami as the crime capital of America was an outdated relic of the 1980's Cocaine Cowboys and Miami Vice image. But is that really true?

I read the local news in Miami even though I am not from the area, and it seems that stuff happens in Miami that would never or almost never happen anywhere else in America. And not only does this stuff happen, but it happens routinely. It goes way beyond the average drive-by shooting in a bad neighborhood that we get all the time in California. Things happen in Miami that shock the conscience. And the crimes are not just confined to the bad areas or the people who lived a high-risk lifestyle (prostitutes, runaways, etc.).

Case in point: 21 year old UM student Eddie Pieron was found murdered, lying in a pool of blood two days ago. There is no information as of yet on a motive or a suspect. Can anyone on this board honestly tell me that the crime in Miami is just like any other big city when something like this happens? Because this kind of thing just doesn't seem to happen anywhere other than Miami. Bright young wealthy college kids with their whole lives ahead of them don't go around getting brutally murdered in other cities. N.Y, L.A., Chicago - this stuff just doesn't happen there. It only happens in Miami. And it happens regularly in Miami.

UM student found slain in home was 21 - 07/07/2008 - MiamiHerald.com (broken link)

So let's have a discussion - is anyone going to defend the proposition that crime in Miami is just like other big U.S. cities? And if so then on what basis do you make that claim?
Have you ever lived in another big city? Your post is extremely naive. NYC has murders, muggings, assault and battery etc. EVERY day. few years back a college girl coming out of a bar was raped and murdered in Manhattan. Its unfortunate but, its life, $4!7 happens. Miami is in NO way alone in this. When I was in Brooklyn back in May, little Jewish kid in Brooklyn was beaten so bad he didn't remember his own name when the cops found him. When I was in Brooklyn last week, some mentally ill patient was left to die in a disgusting and disturbing way in a hospital in Brooklyn. While I was there they reported on a college kid who was beaten into a comma buy some eastern European guy. In the Bronx some guy was beaten to death. I can go on and on and on. One thing is for certain though, as the economy gets worse you can expect to hear more of this.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:55 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,895,919 times
He described his likes: ``Drinkin, smokin, parties, working out, crazy hot sex, clubs, chillin with the homies, hackey sack, going to the beach, occasionally laying out in the sun.''

High risk lifestyle...

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-07-2008 at 02:04 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 02:02 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
I dunnow Fellow traveller... wasn't there a college girl in North Carolina recently murdered brutally? SHe was the student body president or something?

And what about that brutal gang rape, mutilation and murder of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom in Knoxville, TN, who were just minding their own business and were kidnapped and killed?

I think it's a stretch to say crazy bad stuff happens *only* in Miami!

Old 07-07-2008, 02:04 PM

350 posts, read 1,521,817 times
Sadly, I have to agree with Wild Style. This violence is not isolated to Miami. I am equally shocked when I read headlines from other major cities in and out of the U.S. How about the recent student killings in London: Frenchman killed in London 'was stabbed 196 times' - Times Online.
Such a tragedy.

Last edited by nicsma2002; 07-07-2008 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 02:06 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,938,381 times
Can't assume it was random..... No one deserves to be murdered but I think it's worth saying that you should really examine the company that you keep.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:13 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsma2002 View Post
Sadly, I have to agree with Wild Style. This violence is not isolated to Miami. I am equally shocked when I read headlines from other major cities in and out of the U.S. How about this recent student killing in London: Frenchman killed in London 'was stabbed 196 times' - Times Online.
Such a tragedy.
ONE..HUNDRED..NINETY..SIX TIMES

Man, that was one determined killer.

Horrible.

Last edited by Wild Style; 07-07-2008 at 03:34 PM..

Old 07-07-2008, 02:20 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
Quote:
I dunnow Fellow traveller... wasn't there a college girl in North Carolina recently murdered brutally? SHe was the student body president or something?
You are right and about the same time another female college student was kidnapped and murdered in AL. Both students were murdered by strangers, IIRC.
There was a concern that it was a serial killer at first.

You can't take an isolated incident and claim the whole city is crime ridden. I personally think the folks on the Miami forum are upfront about the crime issue. You won't find anyone saying there is no crime in Miami, but Miami isn't like it was back in the 80s for sure

Old 07-07-2008, 02:21 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
I'm not from Miami either and have been reading the Miami Herald online for a few months now b/c I'm considering relocating there. You read about some really horrific things or stuff you don't really hear about elsewhere that often. BUT I think most cities with a decent amount to a lot of crime have similar horrific murders. Some things off the top of my head that I remember is some woman being bound and burned alive in Oakland, CA a few months to a year or so ago. Some lady being nearly or totally decapitated found on some railroad tracks in Compton. So I don't think murders like that UM student are unique and only happen in Miami. But one thing I did notice about the crime in Miami is there seems to be A LOT more incidents of domestic violence/shootings IT SEEMS; some crazy husband/boyfriend/ex going after some woman. The worst one was the lady who was shot as she tried to run into a police station a few months back. I think one week recorded 4 domestic shootings or something recently.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:29 PM

350 posts, read 1,521,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
ONE..HUNDRED..NINETY..SIX TIMES

Man, that was one determine killer.

Horrible.
Yes, it just breaks my heart. Those two sound like they had so much to offer the world, such bright lights. As were Nicholas Garza in Vermont, Eve Carson in NC, etc. The world is a dangerous place, not just Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami