Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 12:01 AM

464 posts, read 1,360,302 times

Advertisements

I've had several conversations with friends, landlords, and relatives about moving back to Miami. Often times, they say..."Miami is bad because of this this and this" (this this and this can be whatever issues you can come up with that Miami has)

Does anyone make you feel like this? I know I bring this up all the time, but I've read 2 different threads already and whilst getting some idea of why NOT to move back, Im still curious if anyone gets the same responses.

I feel silly even asking this, I should just forget about it right?

Last edited by UrbaneAspects; 11-13-2008 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 03:44 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,339,464 times
Miami has its good points its 5;40 am now and heading to gym before work in shorts no worry about foot of snow blocking the streets and frozen windows which take forever to defrost,etc.

It has other good points like nature and many others its just that IMO the politicians are some of the worse in USA as far as doing a thing and again IMO most people here suck lol.

but it does have good points and those that like it here and many do thats great .

Old 11-13-2008, 07:00 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,003 times
A few years ago I moved out of Miami to the NorthEast. Then I got homesick and I moved back to Miami. BIG MISTAKE. Two years later I moved out again, to the Carolinas. Now I am very happy up here and would never dream of moving back to Miami again.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:43 AM

670 posts, read 1,742,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
A few years ago I moved out of Miami to the NorthEast. Then I got homesick and I moved back to Miami. BIG MISTAKE. Two years later I moved out again, to the Carolinas. Now I am very happy up here and would never dream of moving back to Miami again.
But yet, you read the Miami forum.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:44 AM

710 posts, read 2,233,168 times
I've moved "back" to Miami twice now. Once from Atlanta and last year from San Diego.

From Atlanta it was far worse than San Diego -- people were like "WHY would you want to move there?"
We pressed a few people and NONE of them had actually been here! lol
It was very annoying.
(THAT attitude was on the list of reasons we wanted to move from there.)

In SD, people were more surprised that we wanted to move out of "paradise" -- we never drank the kool-aid so we just didn't see it that way -- and less about Miami, most people just didn't know anything about it. Most of our friends were from LA or out east too, so that also has something to do with it.
One guy was a friend of a friend, native San Diegan, and he LOVED Miami and SoFla. He was in love with the water and just how "living" it was, the parrots flying around, the palm trees, the restaurants (in SD the ocean is kind of cold, grey and more lifeless - compared to SoFla anyway). But most people just hadn't been there and didn't know its "reputation."

The reaction from people in Miami was the most interesting. We would get a "wow, really?" from some of the people we were dealing with when remodeling our house -- our alarm guy, our tile lady, our faucet guy especially.
When we asked them if they liked it, 2 of the 3 said they DID like it here. Our tile guy (gay, not that there is anything wrong with it) was hoping to try and move to San Diego! lol
I'm VERY Anglo looking so maybe that has something to do with it? I don't know.

I HAVE noticed a certain "testing" that goes on between some Latins and me -- maybe it's my imagination but it feels like a "are you one of THOSE or are you ok with me" kind of testing.
The "Will the last American in Miami please bring the flag" bumper stickers "era" was only a few years ago and there is no shortage of xenophobia even on these boards. The 2 that liked it were Latin, so maybe THAT has something to do with it. I don't know.

Last edited by planetsurf; 11-13-2008 at 09:53 AM..

Old 11-13-2008, 11:49 AM

428 posts, read 1,396,201 times
I moved to MIA 4 years ago. Moved back to Dallas where I started from orginally.
After almost 2 years in Dallas (a city that I love dearly). I kind of still want to go back.

My best friend says I am crazy. He'd never move there even if they pay him with gold. However, I truly miss the weather, the beach, my friends, the cosmopolitan feel and the good looking people everywhere. (I know I am shallow).

Dallas will be home for a while. But when is right, my cars going down on 95 to Florida again. OYEE.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:08 PM

294 posts, read 1,149,018 times
I know how it is to miss a place you used to hate living in. The longer I am away from Chicago the more I daydream about moving back. But I visit once a year in the Winter to see relatives and friends for X-mas and after several days of being back, I am suddenly reminded of why I left and why I will never return.

The demons of Miami you think are gone are just hiding and waiting to prounce on you! If you were not happy here before, don't waste your time thinking of coming back - time and distance will always make a place seem better than it really was. Just my opinion.

By the way, I remember your posts from quite some time ago. Did Texas not work out for you? We were actually thinking of moving there (to Houston) ourselves at one point. We actually like Miami, but it is so expensive to live here that we somethimes think of moving elsewhere just for economic reasons.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:29 PM

483 posts, read 1,544,488 times
Ive moved all over the country. I lived in LA till I went to college in Oklahoma, then Ive been to Utah, New Jersey, and now Florida but before Miami I lived in Orlando.
I love and will always love California and if anything I will retire to Cali but my whole life I was set to get the F* out of California. Utah was not really my type of place at all, I lived in both Provo and another SLC suburb, got out of there quick. Then in New Jersey I absolutely loved it, it was my ideal place but my wife could not wait to get out of there because of the weather. Then in Orlando, it was ok, but I started looking for a new job and ended up looking all over the state and Miami looked tempting. I made the quick jump to South Florida. I like it too, I now have kids and we already moved them from Orlando and don't want to start jumping around while they are in school. I enjoy it down here and unless something hugely unexpected happens I plan to stay here for the long term.
In Orlando I never really got any type of reaction, most people congratulated me on the job, wished me luck. If someone were to react to others choice of city like some say here, its just incredibly rude and not necessary.

Old 11-13-2008, 03:20 PM

464 posts, read 1,360,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post
I know how it is to miss a place you used to hate living in.
The demons of Miami you think are gone are just hiding and waiting to prounce on you! If you were not happy here before, don't waste your time thinking of coming back -Just my opinion.

Did Texas not work out for you? we somethimes think of moving elsewhere just for economic reasons.

But I think what is important is, what if someone gets there energy and livelihood from being in certain places? Like here in Texas, I just feel dead. Even when I go out on a friday or saturday night, I dont feel anything. And Fridays and Saturdays are usually spent at home because its not fun to go out here unless you have someone to go with. And you MUST go with someone to have fun here, it doesnt work any other way.

I mean seriously, you can go to Miami and meet people like that. Then what ever happended to a spontaneous weekend on the beach? Never happens here.

When I was in Miami I used to date all the time, but since I've been here I probably go on a date once a month now..ridiculous. I'm friendly, I'm open, I'm optimistic....but its like, it doesnt help.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:58 PM

428 posts, read 1,396,201 times
Urbane I know your feeling. Dallas is in many ways the perfect city. I live close to downtown and its a great place indeed. But it lacks soul or spirit or something.

I miss the caribbean/south american people of Miami. God knows they are not perfect. But you feel people are alive. Maybe its the weather but today I have been thinking about Miami the whole day. I do suffer from the "grass is greener syndrome". When I am in FL i want to be in TX and vice versa.

Time for a vacation again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami