Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 10:46 AM

170 posts, read 285,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker View Post
Ugly cities are places like Detroit, Cleveland, Houston, Dallas, San Jose, Oakland, etc...not Miami!

Still though you go on their board and never have to deal with half the crap you hear from all the haters on this one.

Miami is on par with SF as far as the third most visited city in the country.
http://www.tinet.ita.doc.gov/cat/f-2005-45-562.html

Have some respect, please! You are just sounding ignorant and racist when you say that it is ugly because it's not like the rest of the country. Thank God let me say! Europeans wouldn't love to come visit if it wasn't a great city!
I'll give you a truly ugly city and no, this time my answer isn't Miami.

.....Birmingham, England.

I spent the worst 5 years of my life living in Birmingham - a true "dump" of a city. Most of Birmingham is run down, much of it is derelict, the people have the ugliest accent in the world and the city is a leading example of why 60's architecture plainly SUCKS. Traffic is horrible, mostly because the road system hasn't been upgraded since the 1960's. The urban landscape consists of factories (many abandoned), run down housing projects, dirty terraced housing, ugly office blocks and traffic up the ass. Add to that, the depressingly gloomy English weather and you've got what I can only describe as the closest thing to hell on earth. The pubs are awful/dingy and there's a real lack of culture in the city. The crime is terrible....not as many shootings as here, but there's a lot of minor crime, i.e. vandalism, robbery, assaults, car crime and s**t caused by drunken, mindless yobs who have no respect for the police or society in general.

Maybe I'll write some more about Birmingham (and England in general) over the weekend.

As much as I dislike Miami, I would choose to live here over Birmingham (or most places in England) ANY day.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:57 AM

929 posts, read 1,156,838 times
nothingman, but i bet you can take some pretty awesome industrial high dynamic range (HDR) photography there with all those run-down factories

Old 03-02-2007, 11:23 AM

942 posts, read 2,583,495 times
Default taste of reality

Striker, perhaps you need some maturing and life to throw you some curve balls. You will one day wake up and see that life is not what you think it is. I will tell you that it is very diffeent to visit Miami than to live here. I do not hate Miami, I think if I would of moved here 15 years ago life perhaps today would be different for us. However was raised in Chicago and its suburbs and it is quite different than here. To say the least this is not for me, not because of the people but because the affordability. I left the city that I loved Chicago to seek other horizons. It did not work. I am leaving not with a broken heart but with an experience. I cant wait for my home to sell I have went from 343k (thats how much it appraised for) to 310k. The people that have come are crooks. liars and cheats. I trully cannot wait to move to a simpler way of life. I will leave with lots of stories; some good some bad. But none hateful. Perhaps your idea of Miami will change once you live here. Who knows maybe you'll love it but I have analyzed this: if you dont have roots here, you dont make it here. You have to know the sharks because if your a wanna be shark you'll end up being eaten by pyrannas.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
nothingman, but i bet you can take some pretty awesome industrial high dynamic range (HDR) photography there with all those run-down factories
....when the sun's out (which is rare, BTW!).

Birmingham is ugly, but it has some sort of character, I'll give it that.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused and relocating View Post
Striker, perhaps you need some maturing and life to throw you some curve balls. You will one day wake up and see that life is not what you think it is. I will tell you that it is very diffeent to visit Miami than to live here. I do not hate Miami, I think if I would of moved here 15 years ago life perhaps today would be different for us. However was raised in Chicago and its suburbs and it is quite different than here. To say the least this is not for me, not because of the people but because the affordability. I left the city that I loved Chicago to seek other horizons. It did not work. I am leaving not with a broken heart but with an experience. I cant wait for my home to sell I have went from 343k (thats how much it appraised for) to 310k. The people that have come are crooks. liars and cheats. I trully cannot wait to move to a simpler way of life. I will leave with lots of stories; some good some bad. But none hateful. Perhaps your idea of Miami will change once you live here. Who knows maybe you'll love it but I have analyzed this: if you dont have roots here, you dont make it here. You have to know the sharks because if your a wanna be shark you'll end up being eaten by pyrannas.
Actually living in a place is ALWAYS different from just visiting. When you go somewhere on vacation, you're on vacation....you naturally have fun and see the positives. When you live somewhere, the novelty fades and reality kicks in, just like it did when I moved to Miami in the first place.

He thinks that there are no "ghetto" people here as in San Francisco....he's in a for a shock! Ghettos are in every city......it's just that Miami tends to show it's "best" side on TV, i.e. Miami Beach.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:39 PM

578 posts, read 3,063,110 times
Quote:
I'll give you a truly ugly city and no, this time my answer isn't Miami.

.....Birmingham, England.

I spent the worst 5 years of my life living in Birmingham - a true "dump" of a city. Most of Birmingham is run down, much of it is derelict, the people have the ugliest accent in the world and the city is a leading example of why 60's architecture plainly SUCKS. Traffic is horrible, mostly because the road system hasn't been upgraded since the 1960's. The urban landscape consists of factories (many abandoned), run down housing projects, dirty terraced housing, ugly office blocks and traffic up the ass. Add to that, the depressingly gloomy English weather and you've got what I can only describe as the closest thing to hell on earth. The pubs are awful/dingy and there's a real lack of culture in the city. The crime is terrible....not as many shootings as here, but there's a lot of minor crime, i.e. vandalism, robbery, assaults, car crime and s**t caused by drunken, mindless yobs who have no respect for the police or society in general.

Maybe I'll write some more about Birmingham (and England in general) over the weekend.

As much as I dislike Miami, I would choose to live here over Birmingham (or most places in England) ANY day.

I totaly agree i have many family in and around birmingham and its a complete skip its a horrible place full of concrete jungles and future gangs well there are already gangs there with gun crime rising. Parts of the city are so trashy it might as well be 3rd world Bristol is even worse damn this is the worst place i have ever been avoid at all costs. Im from sheffield which is also a hole the city centre has many construction projects cranes everywhere upgrading the city but it will take yrs to bring it up to respectable standards. What parts of England have you been too the majority of England i dislike i cant wait to get away from this hell hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami