Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:50 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,032 times

Advertisements

Let's throw away much needed tax dollars into another white elephant!! Create jobs? what jobs? a hot dog seller making $7 an hour? What a joke! Only in Miami such things are allowed, and the tax payers are so dumb they let it slide AGAIN! Wake up Miami.

Vote set on Florida Marlins stadium; final sketches released - Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/874452.html?pageNum=1&&&mi_pluck_action=page_nav#C omments_Container - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
We will be remembering this when it is being demolished.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:52 PM

102 posts, read 423,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
We will be remembering this when it is being demolished.
a la Miami Arena. Barely lasted 20 years! And where is the promised train stop?

Old 01-27-2009, 02:28 PM

99 posts, read 426,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Let's throw away much needed tax dollars into another white elephant!! Create jobs? what jobs? a hot dog seller making $7 an hour? What a joke! Only in Miami such things are allowed, and the tax payers are so dumb they let it slide AGAIN! Wake up Miami.

Vote set on Florida Marlins stadium; final sketches released - Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breaking-news/story/874452.html?pageNum=1&&&mi_pluck_action=page_nav#C omments_Container - broken link)
Really?!? ONLY in Miami? These are the type of ridiculous statements that are sadly put up with on this board.

Do everybody a favor and read up on other current events so these ignorant blimps don't happen again.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:49 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianM09 View Post
Really?!? ONLY in Miami? These are the type of ridiculous statements that are sadly put up with on this board.

Do everybody a favor and read up on other current events so these ignorant blimps don't happen again.
Right, that's why in Miami more projects are funded with public money, and half of that money goes to your elected officials, and the other half is demolished down a couple of years to make more room for another white-elephant type idea. Miami is laughed at by everyone in the nation, now even more after mayor Manny Diaz looked like a fool at a recent TV interview with CNN.
Mod deleted

Last edited by sunrico90; 01-27-2009 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: link not allowed

Old 01-27-2009, 03:12 PM

Manny Diaz believe it or not is incredibly respected on a national scale. He was chosen as the President of the Mayors Conference and was or is being contimplated for a job in DC. I know of the crap he is responsible for but something I seem to be able to do and others can't is acknowledge the other spectrum.

But please show me where it states that in Miami more project are funded with public money, and please inform me on beside the Miami Arena a major project that has been demolished. As far as I know the Orange Bowl was built decades ago with federal money, so that won't make the cut. The Arsht Center started rough but is doing exceptional now. Any other White Elephants (stupid term)?

But read up on whats happening in New York, what happened in Seattle recently and a decade ago, what happened in Minesota, Tulsa, and the infamous deals in Boston and Chicago. Thats just a couple, Miami is not isolated in this department.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:13 PM

640 posts, read 1,823,754 times
I think it would be great to have a new stadium. I just don't think a dime of public money should be spent on its construction. I saw a spokesman for the Marlins defend the plan, citing as examples governments supporting museums, libraries, etc. The difference is that the Marlins is a private concern. The wealthy folks who own sports teams don't need to be on the public dole.

And yes, the demolition of Miami Arena is still a fresh memory.

When tax breaks are figured in, sports teams are almost always an economic loser for a community. The only reason a community would support it with tax funds is for the prestige it lends. If a government needs to buy prestige for its community that badly, then it should just buy (or lease) the team and own the facility in which it plays. Personally, I think the government has more important issues to deal with.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:20 PM

Completely agree with you Cougar.

My whole deal was with just plain stupid comments made here.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:30 PM

JulianM09> Manny Diaz believe it or not is incredibly respected on a national scale.

Politics works in mysterious ways.

JulianM09> The Arsht Center started rough but is doing exceptional now.

It will be a long time (i.e., never) before the Arsht Center breaks even, but that's okay. The Arsht Center is a public facility, not owned by a private corporation.

What's important here is not the funding history, or the fact that other cities gave away money to wealthy team owners, but the particulars of the new Marlin stadium deal. It is not a good deal for taxpayers.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianM09 View Post
Completely agree with you Cougar.

My whole deal was with just plain stupid comments made here.
Okay, sorry about beating this into the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami