Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 01:52 PM

176 posts, read 646,704 times

Advertisements

I am curious as to know people's overall opinions regarding the three new major developments that have come out of the woodwork in the past four years, as well as their observations, i.e. Waterstone Blvd, Pacific Isles (east of the Turnpike on Campbell), and the new additions to Keys Gate on either side of Palm Dr (w). Is it merely a step up from Kendall or the place to be from the buyer's side of the equation?(where Miramar was say 10 years ago). Do people get a good value package on their home investment, amenities and such, or are they undeniably shortchanged? Waterstone in my own honest opinion has a good callbox security system in each of its "island complexes" that seems to work well with its traffic flows; this is a factor that can lead to serious down-the-line problems when coupled with cretan-styled property management (West Kendall complexes are horrendously backed up to the street) So what are people's opinions of the neighborhood associations, infrastructure, and demographic mix? Is it fairly mixed or skewed one way? Is it on par with South Broward? I really want to know about this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 03:52 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Hopefully some people who live in the newer sections of Homestead will come around to answer some of your specific questions about each community. However, until then, I can give you a general opinion of the area.

The "new" Homestead east of the Turnpike is, in my opinion, nicer than the "old" Homestead west of the Turnpike. Though I do not like gated, cookie-cutter communities, I must say that the new developments have brought a lot of middle class people - and business that cater to them - to the area. That is a good thing after deep South Dade bled middle class residents after Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Other advantages of the area is that traffic is fairly light (especially when compared to Kendall) and prices are very, very low.

With that said, I would not call the "new" Homestead a "step up from Kendall." Kendall is, in general, a more affluent and upscale area than Homestead, and real estate prices reflect this. However, if you work in South Dade and are looking for a bargain on a new home in a gated community, want to be close to the Keys, etc. - the "new" areas of Homestead should definitely be an option.

Regarding the demographics of Homestead east of the Turnpike, you will find a wide variety of Hispanics (Cubans, Cuban-Americans, Venezuelans, Colombians, Nicarauguans, even some Mexicans), Anglo-Americans, and some blacks. There really is no one "group" that overwhelms because although I believe Hispanics are the majority, they are from different countries and don't necessarily identify with each other.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:44 PM

170 posts, read 450,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Kendall is, in general, a more affluent and upscale area than Homestead
Kendall use to be a horse pasture. Then overnight it became affluent. I use to take horse riding lessons in Kendall as a child and lived in Homestead. I think the only building was a stable.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:06 PM

I am only in my 20's and it still amazes me that Kendall is developed non-stop all the way to SW 167th Avenue. When was the last time you were down there? I'm sure a lot has changed since you lived there - the Dadeland area even has a skyline now, LOL! Hopefully they won't move the urban growth boundary out in West Kendall because if they do I would not be surprised to see the development keep going until it reaches the Everglades.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:10 PM

640 posts, read 1,822,540 times
Quote:
Hopefully they won't move the urban growth boundary out in West Kendall because if they do I would not be surprised to see the development keep going until it reaches the Everglades.
All a developer has to do is ask. The county commission never says no, not seeming to care that it increases demand for water while at the same time impinging on the water supply.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
When was the last time you were down there?
It's been years. Lol on Dadeland's skyline.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:10 PM

Google's Street View is an excellent resource to see how the area looks today. You can type in exact addresses and see pictures of them! This is an image taken from the Palmetto Expressway at SW 88th Street (Kendall Drive) - toggle around and you will be able to see the "skyline" that has sprouted up at US1 and 88th.

kendall fl - Google Maps

Old 01-31-2009, 10:28 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Overall if I was going to live in an area full of suburban communities I would chose somewhere else than Homestead. Homestead is way too far south from anything and there's nothing to set it apart from other South Florida suburbs that are superior to it.

South Broward's gated communities in areas like Weston and Pembroke Pines are better choices in my book. In Dade I'd chose Doral or Kendall instead of Homestead.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:31 AM

Thanks. It's come a long way since the horse pasture.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:54 AM

71 posts, read 243,653 times
Keysgate is great!! I love it there. iI's quiet and less expensive than up north. More bang for your buck whether your renting or buying! AND...With Florida city(terrible place to live) being right around the corner, we appreciate the gated cookie cutter community! Love it love it love!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami