Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2009, 10:00 AM

19 posts, read 88,761 times

Advertisements

I live in Minne and moving to Miami. Tired of hearing how bad Miami is, I did some comparisons of the Latin-laden to the Norwegian-laden areas.

A few comparisons of the two cities from City-Data data. I was intrigued with the results....

Population...
Minne: 382,618
Miami: 362,470

...Same Pop.

Race...
Minne White: 62.5%
Minne Hispan: 7.6%

Miami White: 11.8%
Miami Hispan: 65.8%

....They are almost inversely proportional

City-Data Crime Index using oldest-mid-latest (99-03-07)....
Minne: 816-667-791
Miami: 971-879-682

...WTF?... crime is decreasing in Miami? Latest result showing more crime in Minne? Can't blame the Latinos for more crime in Minne.

Likely homosexual households....
Minne: Lesbian-0.7%, Gay men-0.9%
Miami: Lesbian-0.3%, Gay men-0.5%

...I'm not against them, but it's twice as high in Minne.

Registered sex offenders....
Minne: 106
Miami: 1409

...Ok, Miami kicked-ass in this category. So sad.

Percentage of households with unmarried partners....
Minne: 7.8%
Miami: 6.4%

People in homes or halfway houses for drug/alcohol abuse...
Minne: 1068
Miami: 251

...Whoaaa! That shocked me!

Home sales 4th Qtr 2008…
Minne: 9,600
Miami: 25,000

Stop whining about how bad the real estate market is. Miami has over twice as many transactions. However, foreclosures are twice as high in Miami vs. Minne. So, the whining is really about poor buying decisions.

Average Work commute...
Minne: 20 min.
Miami: 30 min.

Carbon Monoxide 2005.....
Minne: 2.4 ppm
Miami: 2.2 ppm

...Little better in Miami.

Temperature Highest-Lowest...
Minne. July: 83
Minne. Jan: 2
Miami July: 90
Miami Jan: 60

...It's all about the winter 'cause both hot in summer. Jun-Aug humidity is almost the same.

Unemployment Sep 2007...
Minne: 4.9%
Miami: 4.4%

Population change in the 1990s...
Minne: +13,814 (+3.7%)
Miami: +724 (+0.2%)

...That's significant and moreover, why is Minne growing? Or, why is Miami not growing? Oh, I forgot...it's so bad in Miami.

Most things talked about on this forum...
Minne: Moving to and from
Miami: Crime, Latinos, temperature

Sheeeet. I’m not a stat analyst but Minne has a higher crime index, less Latinos, cold-ass winters, getting more crowded with increase population, more drug-alcohol residents, more unemployment, slightly more Co2, and more unmarried parents.

Minne folks are not whining about how bad it is there when, statistically, it is no better off, or maybe worse, than Miami.

What gives? Why so much negativity about Miami? I'm sure there are other cities that way exceed Miami on the negative stats, but posters on this board never misses a beat to the tune of "Don't come here...too much crime here...Bad realestate...No jobs....Too hot...Bad Bad Bad"

Old 03-02-2009, 11:30 AM

286 posts, read 1,082,003 times
Thumbs up Miami

What gives? Why so much negativity about Miami? :[/quote]

In response to this, there is a disproportionate number of whiners on this forum
You will hear how some posters throw a fit when the cashier/bagger at the local supermarket spoke to them in Spanish
I have lived here for two years and Miami is not the war torn ghetto that some posters make it out to be.

The reality is that this is a big city, so do expect some crime, traffic, crazy people etc. This is part and parcel of living in a big city. Don't come here expecting to live a quiet suburban life, you will be disappointed.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:50 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,303,344 times
Miami is really Miami-Dade county. Most people don't live in the city. We have a county-wide government. I believe we were the first county in the whole country to have a county-wide government. We don't have 'sherriffs'. We have a county-wide police force. Most of the statitistics you quote probably are relevant only for the tiny city of Miami. The ethnic makeup is probably about right for the whole county though.
Even though I think Miami is bad, I think I'd take it over your city just on weather alone. So, come on down if you really think it is better. It may just be a case of thegrass being greener on the other side of the fence though. After you've been here who knows-- you may find you have become one of the 'whiners'

Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koga62 View Post
Well I dont know what crime statistics u were reading but Miami's Murder rate has had an increase of 23 percent in 2008. And you probably won't be living in the actual city of Miami, or atleast not long I would imagine Miami News, Fort Lauderdale News, Florida News & Weather Channel 7 Fox Miami WSVN-TV - Murder rate rises in Miami-Dade, mayor pushes to ban assault rifles
I got the crime data from the website that sponsers this forum http://www.city-data.com/city/Miami-Florida.html ,where City-Data gets their data from is beyond me. However, i do not think it's from the bleeding-leading local news.

I am not sure where the crime lines begin and end for Miami, but I do know that some of the burbs listed on City-Data do not have crime stats listed.

I am confused. You say Miami's murder rate has increased 23% but I wouldn't be living in actual city of Miami. So is the +23% in Miami or outside of Miami or a conglomeration? Can you be more specific and state the source of the 23% increase? Please don't tell me you heard it on the news.

It's funny how I post hard numbers, not my numbers - not my opinion (no matter where City-Data received them), and someone disagrees. Perceptions are reality.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:34 PM

292 posts, read 956,164 times
There are a disproportinate amount of crazy people here- not whiners.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:13 PM

640 posts, read 1,822,717 times
I don't know what the current figures are, but I'm guessing that Miami's unemployment rate is now way higher than it was in 2007, and is heading higher yet -- probably higher than in Minneapoilis.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
I don't know what the current figures are, but I'm guessing that Miami's unemployment rate is now way higher than it was in 2007, and is heading higher yet -- probably higher than in Minneapoilis.
I agree that current figs are probably much higher for both cities. A lot has changed in the past year.

Unconfirmed, folks are saying 7% in Minne.

Old 03-02-2009, 05:37 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times
All,

This forum is an avenue for many individuals to find answers, to help others, ask for advice, and present concerns. We do have a small group of members that will not accept the reality or accept other opinions. If you read a negative reply to a positive thread you can figure out the underlying purpose of the poster. If you see members that flame-up just because, you can see also the underlying purpose of the poster.

Our purpose is to help as much as possible as other members ask their questions. Many members ask and answer questions every day and do present the positive and negative replies in a simple way without insults and rudeness. Please remember that this forum is not negative, some members make it negative.

If you see posts such as hi-jack, chat, personal attacks, flaming, insult, hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort, Please report the post and don't reply. We will review it and take action as required.

As I have mentioned to many I rather be part of the solution and you can also be part of the solution.

To answer the question on the crime rates, we have a number of sources that provide information, most are based on the latest census. Local sources can provide more updated information.

If you have questions, please DM. This thread is closed.

Thank you,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: