Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:00 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times

Advertisements

Cuba Libre: Perhaps you would be surprised to know that there are a number of Fortune 500 corporations in the Minneapolis area. An express bus is one that has a pickup at a central location and goes directly downtown. I along with many of my colleagues earn over 6 figures a year and love taking public transportation - there are a number of reasons including ease of use and helping the environment. However - your comment is not surprising and quite indicative of why South Florida and its environs are in its current state. Kudos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 07:59 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Cuba Libre: Perhaps you would be surprised to know that there are a number of Fortune 500 corporations in the Minneapolis area. An express bus is one that has a pickup at a central location and goes directly downtown. I along with many of my colleagues earn over 6 figures a year and love taking public transportation - there are a number of reasons including ease of use and helping the environment. However - your comment is not surprising and quite indicative of why South Florida and its environs are in its current state. Kudos!
Thank you. I live in NYC and know plenty of lawyers/businesspeople here who take the subway everyday. Same as when I lived in Boston and Madrid. Cuba libre likes to talk about the "third world," but the mentality that only the poor take public transportation... that is "third world."

Old 05-12-2009, 08:41 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Thank you. I live in NYC and know plenty of lawyers/businesspeople here who take the subway everyday. Same as when I lived in Boston and Madrid. Cuba libre likes to talk about the "third world," but the mentality that only the poor take public transportation... that is "third world."
I think cuba libra's assessment of public transit in Miami is 90% correct. The people who take mass transit here are not the same as the ones who use it in New York, or Tokyo. That's not to say that everyone on Metrorail is scum or low class. My wife takes Metrorail during the day (but I pick her up when she works at night). Of course she's from a high density city where most people take mass transit so she's used to it. Still, she often tells me about strange people she sees on the buses or trains. Just the other day they had a standoff on her bus. A guy came on and paid the fair but then the driver saw he had a small dog with him and told him he couldn't ride. The guy refused to get off and they called the police. My wife called me while the standoff was taking place and I told her to get off because I could easily see this turning violent in Miami. Eventually the guy got off the bus but then stood in front of it for awhile and wouldn't let the bus move. Finally he left before the police showed up.
I'm not super comfortable with her riding mass transit but I figure the saftey issue is a toss up between Miami scum and her driving skills anyway.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,369,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
I think cuba libra's assessment of public transit in Miami is 90% correct. The people who take mass transit here are not the same as the ones who use it in New York, or Tokyo. That's not to say that everyone on Metrorail is scum or low class. My wife takes Metrorail during the day (but I pick her up when she works at night). Of course she's from a high density city where most people take mass transit so she's used to it. Still, she often tells me about strange people she sees on the buses or trains. Just the other day they had a standoff on her bus. A guy came on and paid the fair but then the driver saw he had a small dog with him and told him he couldn't ride. The guy refused to get off and they called the police. My wife called me while the standoff was taking place and I told her to get off because I could easily see this turning violent in Miami. Eventually the guy got off the bus but then stood in front of it for awhile and wouldn't let the bus move. Finally he left before the police showed up.
I'm not super comfortable with her riding mass transit but I figure the saftey issue is a toss up between Miami scum and her driving skills anyway.
I think the problem with Mass Transit in S. Florida is the lack of convenience. It is not easy to get anywhere in S. Florida via mass transit so what ends up happening is those with little economic means ends up taking mass transit here. While those who have the means (economically) avoid the head ache of mass transit down here and they drive. if they actually came up with a good system then i am 100% sure we would get a larger cross section of people from different economic/social backgrounds. As crisp says, you have filthy rich and dirt poor taking the transit in NYC, but the system is 1,000 times better.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:51 PM

153 posts, read 445,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Funny, there have been 12 accidents at an intersection since 1998 which had none for the previous 10 years. The additional stop signs have increased pollution because I set up a particulate collector in front of my parent's home and compared it to results I did back in 2000 when I built this thing to measure Diesel exhaust. The average value increased by 12%. It is higher now due to the dry season, but I measured it in July, well within the rainy season.
What does this comment have to do with roundabouts? Do you know what a roundabout is (vs. a traffic circle)? Did you read the AAA paper I referenced? Here it is again: http://www.aaafoundation.org/pdf/Roundabouts.pdf

Old 05-12-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich2010 View Post
What does this comment have to do with roundabouts? Do you know what a roundabout is (vs. a traffic circle)? Did you read the AAA paper I referenced? Here it is again: http://www.aaafoundation.org/pdf/Roundabouts.pdf
I really like roundabouts and traffic circles. I used to live right above one, actually. They're so much more attractive than regular intersections with traffic lights; you can put landscaping and/or a fountain in a circle but not in the middle of an intersection! I don't understand why so many people hate them. That article was funny: We don't like roundabouts because England and France have them!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:38 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,974 times
Quote:
I along with many of my colleagues earn over 6 figures a year and love taking public transportation - there are a number of reasons including ease of use and helping the environment.
Of course I had to know that I would get a response from an uber-liberal like this... Of course you just happen to claim to make "six figures". Why do people throw around the phrase "six figures" so much? It is indicative of low class, poor taste, or both.

Quote:
However - your comment is not surprising and quite indicative of why South Florida and its environs are in its current state.
Well, our state grew by about 25% in 8 years, mostly by migratory Northerners. How quickly did your state grow in the same period? Given this exodus, I think Florida (and Miami) is doing quite fine in spite of the fact that most of these migrating Northerners are whiners.

Quote:
Kudos!
Is that a kind of granola bar that liberals like to eat? No, thanks!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Of course I had to know that I would get a response from an uber-liberal like this... Of course you just happen to claim to make "six figures". Why do people throw around the phrase "six figures" so much? It is indicative of low class, poor taste, or both.
Less than 10% of American workers earn $100,000+. It's certainly not indicative of "low class."

Furthermore, mocking people who choose the environmentally and fiscally responsible option of public transportation certainly seems of "poor taste" to me.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:50 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,974 times
Quote:
Less than 10% of American workers earn $100,000+. It's certainly not indicative of "low class."
Good Morning Crisp.

It's low class to flaunt or tell everybody when it doesn't have anything to do with the thread. I was taught that one's salary, assets, and other personal financial info should never be disclosed.

The whole "yea... I make six figures" attitude does not exude class, but a lack thereof.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:57 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Quote:

Furthermore, mocking people who choose the environmentally and fiscally responsible option of public transportation certainly seems of "poor taste" to me.
I think he meant that it was low class to claim to make that much if you really don't or to brag about it if you really do.

I don't think you can call mass transit fiscally responsible when it is just shifting the cost from yourself and other riders to non-riders who subsidize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami